Gulf coast and Arkansas March 2016

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

NACairns

Gulf coast and Arkansas March 2016

Post by NACairns »

My lab mate and I work on differentiation within spring peepers and the Gulf Coast states and Arkansas have some of the most interesting phylogeography. This means come the end of February when winter has become its most infuriating up here in Canada we get to hop in the "trusty" minivan and drive south. This is the second year that I have sampled the south and I had such a great time in Conecuh NF in southern Alabama that we decided that we should stop there first to get recordings. As soon as we stopped driving we were hearing and seeing herps.
ImagePseudemys floridana by N Cairns, on Flickr
We got to Conecuh ahead of schedule so we were able to get some fun in the first night. We joined some local researchers for a chorus survey before we set off on our own the records and sample some local peepers. It was just before a large thunderstorm and the frogs responded. At the first site we were treated to a spectacular chorus of Hyla femoralis, Hyla gratiosa, Hyla chrysoscelis, Acris spp. Pseudacris crucifer, Pseudacris nigrita, Lithobates clamitans and Lithobates sphenocephalus. We checked out a few more sites and returned but unfortunately the barkers had quit.

Conecuh NF chorus

Luckily we were able to see many pine woods treefrogs and their Morse code (I’m not sure I agree with that description) call. Most were calling from 60 cm above the water from cattails and the trunks of longleaf pines which had been flooded.
ImageHyla femoralis by N Cairns, on Flickr

We also recorded a few of the species that brought us south. Peepers were generally calling from the horizontal leaves of pond side veg at about 50 cm.
ImagePseudacris crucifer by N Cairns, on Flickr

We spent that night recording peepers and observing many other species.
ImagePseudacris nigrita by N Cairns, on Flickr

ImageLithobates sphenocephalus by N Cairns, on Flickr

ImageAcris crepitans by N Cairns, on Flickr

Dip netting for tadpoles lead to interesting observations of bycatch species.
ImageStreptocephalus sp. by N Cairns, on Flickr

ImageAmbystoma tigrinum by N Cairns, on Flickr

ImageHyla gratiosa by N Cairns, on Flickr

The next day we helped set up mammal traps and got to do a little day time herping in an absolutely beautiful place.
Imagelong-leaf pine dominated habitat by N Cairns, on Flickr
ImageLophiola Pond by N Cairns, on Flickr

Always love to see skinks and this female broad headed allowed us to observe her for a prolonged time.
ImagePlestiodon laticeps by N Cairns, on Flickr

A real highlight was finding this juvenile rough earth snake under some rotting plywood.
ImageVirginia striatula by N Cairns, on Flickr

and came across this injured screech owl, it did end up flying away.
ImageMegascops asio by N Cairns, on Flickr

The next day we went back to check the mammal traps. We were really hoping for a golden mouse as we knew they were in the area
ImageOchrotomys nuttalli nest by N Cairns, on Flickr

No goldens but we did get a few cotton mice:
ImagePeromyscus gossypinus by N Cairns, on Flickr

We headed west to Louisiana, we started around Catahoula Lake a little day time searching turned up some toads and Plestiodon inexpectatus
ImageAnaxyrus fowleri by N Cairns, on Flickr

This toad looked a bit different from a typical A. fowleri, extensively mottled chest with small knobs on the posterior part cranial crest. Any thoughts?

We went to checkout the surrounding area and came across folks dipping for shad and snagging for paddlefish.
ImagePolyodon spathula by N Cairns, on Flickr

Last time I came down south, I was too busy to enjoy the culture of the area. This year was pretty much the same but we were able to get some crawfish. The wonderful owners and staff of the Deville Dairy Corner gave us a crash course in all things crawfish and fed us to bursting. The species diversity was amazing but they all taste about the same as far as I can tell.
ImageCrawfish by N Cairns, on Flickr

There were surprisingly few peeper tadpoles but they are handsome in the deep south; far darker than further north.

The pond life was a bit different than in Alabama with fish dominating most of the habitats and Lithobates sphenocephalus the rest. If anyone can ID the fish I'd appreciate it but I should know soon as some folks from Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries offered to ID when they have some spare time.
ImageEtheostoma by N Cairns, on Flickr

ImageFundulus by N Cairns, on Flickr

ImageLepomis by N Cairns, on Flickr
ImageEsox americanus by N Cairns, on Flickr

There were also a fair number of large invertebrates with crawfish dominating but many other crustaceans and insects but surprisingly very few dragonflies
ImagePalaemonetes sp. by N Cairns, on Flickr
ImageRanatra sp. by N Cairns, on Flickr

ImageBelostoma sp. by N Cairns, on Flickr

The surrounding habitat is a bit surreal from a Canadian perspective.
Imagepeeper habitat by N Cairns, on Flickr

ImageGleditsia triacanthos by N Cairns, on Flickr

ImageTillandsia usneoides by N Cairns, on Flickr

We moved west to around Fort Polk, there were not many herps out and about, but there were a few colourful ones.
ImageAnolis carolinensis by N Cairns, on Flickr

ImageNerodia fasciata by N Cairns, on Flickr

Next we headed to east Texas for a quick trip to fill a gap in our sampling from last year. Peepers were few and far between but we found enough to justify our efforts.
ImagePseudacris crucifer with Culex territans by N Cairns, on Flickr

The American toads in this area were beautiful.
ImageAnaxyrus americanus by N Cairns, on Flickr

We can some car trouble which left us stuck in the back roads for a day so we missed a night of sampling but the delay left us stuck in a pretty heavy rainstorm which brought out one of my favourite species of the trip.
ImageScaphiopus hurterii by N Cairns, on Flickr

A one night jaunt into the Ouachita's of SE Oklahoma was a great and the frogs were going hard.
Pseudacris fouquettei and Pseudacris crucifer calling

Here is an example of Pseudacris fouquettei larvae from the Ouachitas.
ImagePseudacris fouquettei by N Cairns, on Flickr
Pseudacris fouquettei calling

This little Anaxyrus americanus was calling from the middle of the road in a puddle.

Next up Arkansas, where we were planning to do more extensive sampling.
The fox squirrels were much bolder than elsewhere across the south we had failed to get a good look at them this trip.
ImageSciurus niger by N Cairns, on Flickr

Another species which had eluded us further south was the green tree frog which suddenly appeared in numbers in the reed filled ditches of SW Arkansas.
ImageHyla cinerea by N Cairns, on Flickr

Cajun chorus frogs were in full breeding mode across Arkansas.
ImagePseudacris fouquettei by N Cairns, on Flickr

We didn't have much time for salamander hunting but some species are so plentiful they are hard to miss.
ImagePlethodon serratus by N Cairns, on Flickr

ImagePlethodon caddoensis by N Cairns, on Flickr

Some spectacular weather moved in covering the entire state with extreme weather warnings. Knowing the night was likely going to be a wash we thought we'd maximize our sightings by heading to the Arkansas River Valley to cruise the roads. Strecker's chorus frogs were one of the species I wanted to see the most and that was the area and weather to look. We didn't see any but we heard a few calling along with Fowler's toads from private property. I'll get the picture next time I guess.
Anaxyrus fowleri and Pseudacris streckeri

Some other really cool frogs came to the party as well. The widely sought after crawfish frog crossed right in front of us as soon as we turned of the highway. This species was very odd to watch, it barely used its forelimbs and sort of inch-wormed its way across the road.
ImageLithobates areolatus by N Cairns, on Flickr

Weird is the adjective I'd use for narrow-mouthed toads, feels boneless, like a jello-filled condom.
ImageGastrophryne carolinensis by N Cairns, on Flickr

Monstrous bullfrog.
ImageLithobates catesbeiana by N Cairns, on Flickr

The ponds where peepers are calling from in central Arkansas are dominated by salamanders
ImageAmbystoma opacum by N Cairns, on Flickr
ImageAmbystoma opacum by N Cairns, on Flickr
ImageAmbystoma maculatum by N Cairns, on Flickr
ImageNotophthalmus viridescens by N Cairns, on Flickr

But large predatory insects are also present in large numbers though the only group that appeared to increase in numbers was dragonflies.
ImageLibellula sp. by N Cairns, on Flickr

We saw many turtles this trip but few were suitable for getting a decent photo. The turtles of central Arkansas were more patient.
ImagePseudemys concinna by N Cairns, on Flickr
ImageTrachemys scripta eating Aplodinotus grunniens by N Cairns, on Flickr

By the time we got to this area I was starting to think my eyes were failing me as we'd seen almost no snakes but the last 3 days of our trip was very productive for aquatic snakes. We found plain-bellied water snakes to be plentiful in the valley
ImageNerodia erythrogaster by N Cairns, on Flickr

as were northern/midlands.
ImageNerodia sipedon by N Cairns, on Flickr

Moving north east to the lowlands we hit a few more species.
ImageNerodia fasciata by N Cairns, on Flickr

Diamondback water snake was one I was really excited to see.
ImageNerodia rhombifer by N Cairns, on Flickr

But the most exciting snake of the trip was from the last day and the last site. We had seen sirens or amphiuma almost every night of the trip but I hadn't got a picture. I knew they were present in the pond we were working at from the night before, so once we were done I kicked around in the submerged thatch. The third kick turned up a back smooth scaled tail. Looking closer I saw some red on the venter.

ImageFarancia abacura by N Cairns, on Flickr

ImageFarancia abacura by N Cairns, on Flickr

ImageFarancia abacura habitat by N Cairns, on Flickr

The drive back was fairly uneventful but southern Illinois got us a few herps but we were obviously too early for too much to be active.

ImagePlethodon dorsalis by N Cairns, on Flickr

ImageLithobates clamitans by N Cairns, on Flickr

ImageDiadophis punctatus by N Cairns, on Flickr

I'd like the thank Jimmy and Sierra Stiles, Dan Saenz, Kelly Irwin, Kory Roberts (CaptainKory) for their advice or help in the field. I'd like to thank the permitting agencies of Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas with particular thanks to the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries for putting us up in their bunkhouses.
One more peeper call with the aggressive trill.

Thanks for reading.
Nick
the_cw1

Re: Gulf coast and Arkansas March 2016

Post by the_cw1 »

Cool stuff. I particularly enjoyed the owl. As well, seeing water bugs measured is a rare though interesting treat!
Kyle from Carolina

Post by Kyle from Carolina »

Great finds Nick. It's hard to beat dipnetting mucky waters. I like the water scorpion and the toe-biter. Are the tiger sals common down there?
NACairns

Post by NACairns »

Thanks the_cw1, yes the owl was really interesting. It had a huge Hippoboscid fly on it which was really interesting but impossible to photograph. Kyle, I had a great time but need a bigger net. There were quite a few salamanders down there, most were A. talpoideum but at the pond we were working they were A. tigrinum.
Thanks
Nick
dwakefield

Post by dwakefield »

Awesome post and animals and photos! Especially loved the Mud Snake :thumb: Where in Canada are you from? I'm from up there and did university up there as well.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Great stuff Nick. You got a pretty nice diversity of critters considering it was early in the year. I love all the recordings.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure your Tantilla coronata is a young Virginia, probably V. striatula.
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

NACairns

Post by NACairns »

Well that is embarrassing, it is indeed a Virginia striatula I guess I saw the head markings and never thought about it again. I've been teaching a herp course this week and have been drilling into them to not use a single feature to ID, those who can't.. eh? Noted and corrected. Thanks dwakfield, the mud snake was a nice surprise. I`m from Vancouver Island but live in SW Saskatchewan and am doing my research based from Kingston Ontario so usually I just say Canada. Where are you from? Thanks Chrish, I usually only record the peepers but we are looking at ecology and competition so acoustic niche may be a variable(s) we want to play with. Appreciate the comments Coluber The water bugs were interesting but a bit of a menace when you are trying to sort pond dwellers. I got poked by a Lethocerus a few years back and don't want a repeat. Wish we had seen the mouse that made the nest, they caught one the next day. There is always next time I guess.
Thanks all,
Nick
dwakefield

Post by dwakefield »

NACairns wrote:Well that is embarrassing, it is indeed a Virginia striatula I guess I saw the head markings and never thought about it again. I've been teaching a herp course this week and have been drilling into them to not use a single feature to ID, those who can't.. eh? Noted and corrected. Thanks dwakefield, the mud snake was a nice surprise. I`m from Vancouver Island but live in SW Saskatchewan and am doing my research based from Kingston Ontario so usually I just say Canada. Where are you from? Thanks Chrish, I usually only record the peepers but we are looking at ecology and competition so acoustic niche may be a variable(s) we want to play with. Appreciate the comments Coluber The water bugs were interesting but a bit of a menace when you are trying to sort pond dwellers. I got poked by a Lethocerus a few years back and don't want a repeat. Wish we had seen the mouse that made the nest, they caught one the next day. There is always next time I guess.
Thanks all,
Nick
I was born not too far from Kingston, then lived in the US for a while, and then lived about an hour north of Toronto for the last 12 years before coming down here to south Florida. During those 12 years, I got my Biology degree from York University in Toronto.
kaptainkory

Post by kaptainkory »

Terrific stuff, Nick. I was waiting patiently to see your AR Mudsnake photos!!! HA! Enjoyed meeting you for dinner on your way through AR; found out (literally today!) that "vanishing" BBQ joint moved just up the road.
NACairns

Post by NACairns »

Dwakefield, you've sure moved around alot. In the 5 years I've been in Ontario I still haven't really been to Toronto. Just too big. From a herp perspective I think you made the right choice going south. From my one day experience south Florida is ridiculous for critters native and nonnative.
Thanks Kory, sorry it took so long but I've got more as well (I think I added them the flickr group). Yeah that was quite the feast so BBQ was not missed. Thank you for your advice for everything but unfortunately we didn't see any other herps till we made it to Illinois. Maybe next time we can meet you in the field. Let me know if you ever head north or west I'd love to chat herps again in person.
Best,
Nick