A Good Day

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Noah M

A Good Day

Post by Noah M »

Fridays are usually good days because they start the weekend. But yesterday was extra special. I checked my board dot and found two pine woods littersnakes, a crowned snake, and a an eastern glass lizard (that escaped because my hands were already full!) The neat thing was one of the pinewoods started to shed in my hand, so I took a few pictures of it.

Crowned Snake

Pine Woods Littersnake mid-shed

Showing off its shiny new and beautiful reddish color

Just when I didn't think things could get much better, Lauren and I headed out to a visit a friend who lives in some great habitat. They have a couple of ponds on their property and I immediately heard one of my favorite tree frogs. On the walk to the pond I encountered this majestic Southern Toad.

First seen at the pond's edge were dozens of bullfrogs, none of which were calling.

There were also half a dozen or so Southern Leopard frogs, also silent.

And of course the ubiquitous Southern Cricket Frog. Are these guys ever not calling?

And then the prize of the night; there were probably 6-12 Barking Tree Frogs making quite the ruckus.
mtratcliffe

Re: A Good Day

Post by mtratcliffe »

Awesome photos, Noah! That Pinewoods Littersnake looks beautiful after it finished its shed. And photographing frogs while they are calling is never easy.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Thanks Matt. Of the barking tree frogs calling, that one was the only one not hiding in or near tall grass. And for a good half hour or so he had his back to me. I just had to sit and wait until he turned a bit and I was able to get my picture.
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Beautiful photos!
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Great set! I too, liked the Rhadinea shedding and post-shed pics. Cool experience!
--Berkeley