Find the Herp - The Game

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

MonarchzMan

Find the Herp - The Game

Post by MonarchzMan »

I've occasionally seen people post photos of in situ shots of herps and I've been impressed at how well camouflaged the animal is. I always enjoy seeing these sorts of photos because it's like a real-life Where's Waldo, though with far more interesting subjects. In an effort to see more of these photos, I propose a game and it's pretty simple. Post photos of herps hiding. But, of course, since it's a game, there should be some rules.

Posting Photos Rules
  • 1. Post a photo of a herp in its habitat hiding.
    2. Subjects of the photo must be large enough in the photo so that the herp can be identified.
    3. If the subject is obscured (i.e., partially covered in leaf litter), subject must still be identifiable by what is visible (no expecting an identification of a foot sticking out under some bark or the like!).
    4. You must provide the basic hint of location. Somewhat vague is fine - for example, Southern Illinois would be find for a Cave Salamander photographed at Snake Road. Saying the US would be too broad. This is merely to help guessers get an idea of what animals they may be looking for. After all, you're not going to be looking for a salamander in Australia! No need to give exact details here, obviously, just enough to help players.
    5. Don't post a new photo until it's your turn.
Turns, Guessing, and the Like Rules
  • 1. You must guess the active photo before being able to post your own, or unless someone passed their turn.
    2. You are not required to know the species of animal when you guess, just be able to find the animal (identifying roughly in the photo where the animal is). Guessing the correct species, however, gives you more points. People who have successfully found the hidden herp then get to post their own photo or pass.
    3. Anyone can post a photo after a pass.
    4. If no one has correctly guessed the active photo after a day, it no longer is active and anyone can post a new photo.
    5. We're working off of the honor system here. Since many host their photos on various websites (Flickr, Photo Bucket, Personal websites, etc), chances are they may be elsewhere on the interwebs. Don't go searching for them to try to figure out what you're looking at. Obviously, for those posting, remove any identifying titles or whatever when posting here.
The following are the points allotted for various conditions of the game:
  • 3 points - Correctly find the herp and correctly identify the species in the picture
    2 points - Correctly find the herp and correctly identify the genus of the animal
    2 points - Post a photo where no one has found the herp after a day
    1 point - Correctly find the herp
And just like in Whose Line, everything is made up and the points don't matter. Just have fun!

I'll start with an easy one just to get the ball rolling and so I can start seeing others' photos.

Northern Mississippi
Kelly Mc

Re: Find the Herp - The Game

Post by Kelly Mc »

Baby Agkistrodon contortrix in a loose, comfy coil
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

Got it, your turn!
NACairns

Post by NACairns »

Nacogdoches Co. TX, USA
Imagefind it by N Cairns, on Flickr
krismunk

Post by krismunk »

As a European I'm not all that familiar with the different Pseudacris species, but I believe those markings fit with crucifer

Roughly 30% up form the bottom of the pic, 40% in from the left.

...nice one, btw :)

Edit: Just noticed, it was really Kelly's turn. Two pics in and we've already messed up the competition, :lol:
semasko

Post by semasko »

Both from SW Pennsylvania

You should zoom in for this one:

Fairly easy.
krismunk

Post by krismunk »

Yes, the copper is fairly easy.

As for the first pic, cropping - or posting bigger pics - seems a better option than posting pics where you need to zoom, particularly when the resolution is really to low get a reasonably sharp image even with rather limited zoom.

That said, I see something rather blurry vaguely resembling the outline of a gray treefrog (which in PA I suppose most likely would be versicolor) but I don't actually believe it is so I probably haven't found the herp yet. I won't find it either, as my eyes can't keep looking at the fuzzyness in zoom.

...and the game, as set out in the OP's rules, seems dead in its tracks...
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

krismunk wrote:...and the game, as set out in the OP's rules, seems dead in its tracks...
I kind of figured that it would devolve into a free-for-all. My attempt at structure was to try to help limit that. I'll admit, I didn't expect it to do so 6 posts in :lol:

Ah well, like I said, everything is made up and the points don't matter!
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Don't worry about my turn! Im making my shift back to Lookin from a long period of herpetoculture focus and I never went lookin with a camera before.

I will enjoy from the sidelines as apparently I suck at following guidelines and called copperhead tyke with no pic at the ready of wild guys in camoflauged situ which is so fun.
NACairns

Post by NACairns »

Sorry I broke the game so quickly. I really like these, guess I got a little overzelous.
Yep it was a P crucifer.
chrish

Post by chrish »

semasko's second picture is a copperhead on the crawl left of center.

Here's one that shouldn't be too hard (and you don't have to zoom ;) ) from Central Texas -

NACairns

Post by NACairns »

Craugastor augusti? lower right. I'd love to see/record that species.
NACairns

Post by NACairns »

This one pops out more than it did in real life. SW Saskactewan.
Imagefind it by N Cairns, on Flickr
semasko

Post by semasko »

Sorry about the first pic.. that's why I posted the second. That crucifer picture is excellent. Here's the first pic:

reptologist

Post by reptologist »

I see a horny toad in the last new picture in the lower right corner.
NACairns

Post by NACairns »

Reptologist you got it. Any thoughts on species? Looking forward to more photos.
reptologist

Post by reptologist »

NACairns wrote:Reptologist you got it. Any thoughts on species? Looking forward to more photos.
I do not know which species based on the picture. I spent some time looking through my pictures to add one but it must be my style because every picture of an obscure reptile photo that I have is always the same with the subject directly in the center of the frame. I will keep looking as I have a bunch on an external hard drive.