Rattlesnake ID

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

aliceinwl

Rattlesnake ID

Post by aliceinwl »

I haven't posted in ages, but I found this rattler that is driving me nuts. Any thoughts as to ID? The body pattern really says mojave to me, but the head scalation is wrong. Both mojaves and speckleds would be in range, maybe panamints too. Found in the Owens Peak Wilderness area, Kern County, California. It was a pretty big snake, 4+ feet.

Thanks!
Alice
John Delgado

Re: Rattlesnake ID

Post by John Delgado »

Hmmm ... immediately when I saw this pic I said 'Carrizo Plains' Rattlesnake - Crotalus oreganus oreganus ... then I looked on the map and where you indicate location is too far east for Carrizo.

Not a Mojave, not Panamint, and not Speckled. Therefore ... only species this can be is Northern Pacific Rattlesnake - Crotalus oreganus oreganus.

Is it a relocated Carrizo ??? Maybe, I don't know - surrrrre looks Carrizo.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I agree with John, I've seen similar Crotalus 'oreganus' in the Kern Plateau district, and parts between from the lower San Joaquin Valley and Kern Canyon region that are shades of tan or brown with very muted greens in the coloration.

Jeff
aliceinwl

Post by aliceinwl »

It was found in the northeastern corner of Kern County so it looks like a bit out of range for oreganus, or maybe right on the edge?
aliceinwl

Post by aliceinwl »

Thanks for the replies, coloration in life was greenish. I admit I wasn't really thinking C. oreganus with the chuckwallas running around.
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

The IUCN web site map indicates that C. o. oreganus habitat range is just east of Lake Isabella at Sierra Way and Hwy 178. However, I have seen video of oreganus sightings as far east of Lake Isabella to the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT). I'll look for video, and post if I find it. Anyway, one in particular video I remember was recorded on the PCT at Hwy 178 near Walker Pass Campground.

And as far as green rattlesnakes go ... I've see green oreganus up my neck of the woods, and I mean very green. I'm wayyy up here in Mendocino County. All we have are oreganus, only rattlesnake subspecies up here.

You indicate your pic was taken at Owens Peak area which is exactly due north from Walker Pass Campground about 8 miles as the crow flies. So ... not out of the question that your rattlesnake, in the really nice pic you have, is a C. o. oreganus ... such a magnificent animal.

You should see the oreganus from up north around Mariposa ... looks like lutosus, and I was fooled ... it was a very good learning lesson for me.