New here with some pics

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

travesty

New here with some pics

Post by travesty »

Hey everyone. I live in Tulsa, Ok and I am still pretty new to herping. This year will be my third season I believe. Out of the 47 or so snakes in Oklahoma I think I only have about 13 checked off my list, so I am definitely looking forward to finding more. All I have are cell phone pics right now but here are some cool snakes from last year.

Ringnecks
Lined Snake
Dekay's
Speckled King
Prairie King
Speckled King
Western Wormsnake
Ugly Nerodia
Eastern Coachwhip
And another
ChadHarrison

Re: New here with some pics

Post by ChadHarrison »

Off to a good start. I like that big holbrooki. Big, healthy, nice looking speckled kings like that are always great to see. I see a lot of younger individuals, but I'm always stoked to see the big fat adults.
dwakefield

Post by dwakefield »

Nice work! I also love Speckled Kings. I used to find them in Mississippi growing up.......definitely one of my favorites!
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

Nice work! Welcome to the forum!
travesty

Post by travesty »

Thanks! Specks are one of my favorites.

Does anyone have any tips on finding hots like rattlers and copperheads? I've never found any. I wonder if I need to try something different besides hiking and flipping cover or will they just turn up eventually? Or is there a specific type of habitat I need to be looking for? I've heard about rocks facing south for rattlers but no luck yet.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Welcome aboard!

I started my herping "career" back in Tulsa in the early 1970s. My memories are of a very fun herping area.
I didn't find nearly the diversity that you have, but I was under 10 years old at the time so I didn't herp very far from home.
That Lined Snake reminded me of my first, which I found in the grass at Grissom Elementary School during lunch one day. I got sent to the office for catching it and trying to keep it. :(
That's all right, I persevered!

Chris