Wanting to plan a trip to Florida, where to go?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

BailyThefox

Wanting to plan a trip to Florida, where to go?

Post by BailyThefox »

I posted this same question on the ssnakess forum but wanted to post here as well because it's more specific to the topic of field herping. Basically I'm curious as to general locations that have a diverse population of different species of reptiles and amphibians, exotic species in particular. I've had a multitude of recommendations for the Tamiami trail and so will try to go there for sure, but what is your guys experiance on great locations? Any public or state parks you know of that have cool stuff around, or better yet places off the beaten path to explore.

The earliest I'd be able to go down is probably June so how is the herping and weather down there at that time? I'd really love to see different exotic lizards, snakes, and amphibians. Anoles besides your normal brown and green, geckos, and foreign frogs.

I won't even go there with chameleons as I've already read about that sensitive topic here lol. I'd rather not step on any toes, although if there is a location I wouldn't be shot at that I could possibly see one that'd be pretty cool :)