Herping with Cam Newton

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

LouB747

Herping with Cam Newton

Post by LouB747 »

I recently worked on a TV show with Cam Newton. In all honesty, I had no idea who Cam Newton was. Anyways, I was in charge of making sure they actually found snakes. The shoot was at one of my boardlines. I'll probably pull the boards and relocate them this summer. Anyways, the show airs in June I believe. A neighbor kid I got into herping is a main character with my son helping him out. No in front of the camera for me, which I prefer. Hopefully they portray herping in a good way. It appears they will, but then again, it's Hollywood. They can edit it however they like.

Jeff

Re: Herping with Cam Newton

Post by Jeff »

Here's hoping....

This time last year I did a news piece about the annual emergence of snakes into the citizenry's flowerbeds and carports, how they are harmless, beneficial, etc.

When I viewed the televised version I was chagrined to see that the news station had decided to show, as I talked, footage of Burmese pythons, rattlesnakes, cobras, and other calamities snooping about on lawns and sidewalks, even falling out of open cages.

I surmised that the TV News anchor tartlet had seen a snake in her yard, and really wanted me to give advice on the proper artillery to combat these foes of home and garden.

Yep, the editors have the last say.

Jeff
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

I know the feeling! :oops:

I've found over the years that dealing with the press is always a dangerous thing. So called journalists tend to print what they think they heard, not necessarily what they actually heard. Nothing's worse than having a journalist from the local newspaper sitting in the crowd at one of your lectures on snakes, only to read an article in the morning paper that makes you look like a total idiot because the journalist got it all wrong, or decided to throw in some internet hype to spice up the story.

I wish you luck Lou. Hope the guy you were working with is reliable and actually listened to what you said.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I've helped out on a few thihgs... till i realized what a douch the 'star' (of Vemon in Vegas fame :roll: ) was... lol one thing i think came out ok was Discovery's 'Speed of Life' series... :)

Not knowing any better, Andy (out at Deep Creek) let them film parts of 'Venom Hunters' out at his place... they tried for a week to find a speck... but had to end up borrowing Andy's, for the segment :shock: :lol: :roll: :roll:
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

Did anyone hear the crap on the radio from the Pamona show? The djs just trash talked every person who keeps reptiles. Don't trust them....
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Yeah, I'm hopeful for the best yet fearful at the same time. The show was going on with or without my help, so I thought maybe I could do some good. I believe the show will be called, "All In With Cam Newton". It was originally called, "I Want To Be....". The premise is Cam is helping kids fulfill their dreams. My neighbor wants to be a herpetologist when he grows up, so the show is supposed to document that. Again, we'll see.
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

I've been getting quite a few emails wanting a separate release for the GoPro footage my son Chance took. I decided they wouldn't get it for free, and should pay something to my son. Their response:

Hi Lou,

I checked internally, and I learned that we do not need you to sign the additional Materials Release for Chance's GoPro footage as the footage is already covered by Paragraph 2 of Chance's Appearance Release (attached). Per the Appearance Release, all of the rights in and to that footage are owned by Nickelodeon and you would need to obtain Nickelodeon’s prior approval to post it on YouTube (or use it anywhere else).

So it looks like I need a release to show my son's footage now! My response to them:

Thanks. I'll look it over later tonight. As I didn't sign a release, nor get paid, I'm assuming all the footage I took can be used at will. But if I want to use Chances footage, I need a release from Nickelodeon. And what are the odds on getting that release?

Anyways, they forgot to have me sign a release. It'll be interesting to see where this goes. I'm awaiting a response. I'm assuming they won't want me to post my footage at all, especially before the show airs. I'm not sure what they can legally do about it.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Sorry to hear about this dilemma, Lou. Hopefully it will be resolved easily
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

This is a production company, right? Not the press. Big difference.
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Yes, so true.

They haven't replied to my not signing a release. I'm not sure what they will say about that. They way I see it, I'm free to publish my video as I like.
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

I guess the show aired. I hear you can watch it "on demand", although haven't had the time to watch it yet.
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

I just watched the show. I believe it showed herping in a positive way, even though Cam has a big fear of snakes.
Herper6301

Post by Herper6301 »

Do you know what the episode is called? And that's good that it portrays herping in a good light.
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

It's season 1 episode 5..... All in with Grant and Tori. Grant is my neighbor who's into snakes. I've taken him around and showed him the ropes, at least what I know. My son Chance is briefly on the show.
Herper6301

Post by Herper6301 »

Alright thank you. I'll be sure to watch it.