rattlesnake island?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

mikez

rattlesnake island?

Post by mikez »

Hi folks haven't been by in awhile. Just wondering if the subject of Ma starting a timber colony on an island has come up?
I scanned real quick didn't see it. Did not check main forum.

Anyone know if its been discussed? Really pressed for time so no links but if it hasn't been done I'll do it later, preferably main forum cause I'd like the wider point of view.
MCHerper

Re: rattlesnake island?

Post by MCHerper »

Hey Mike,

Yes it has come up, there is a thread in the Board Line subforum about it. The outcome will be interesting to say the least.

MC
mikez

Post by mikez »

Thanks I'll go look for it when I have time.
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

Please expand on this conversation ...
mikez

Post by mikez »

There is a board line thread just getting started with links to fill in on details. I don't want to be redundant.

My interest is two part, well beyond the obvious herp related aspect, one is the hate. I was shocked and I think state of Ma was shocked by the hate.
For me it got personal when I got in a debate on a fishing forum and haters crossed some lines this old time internet veteran found extreme. Kinda stupid considering its a local forum and the internet tough guys don't have the most secret identity. More to come there... ;)

The other thing I'm interested in is will it work for the snakes?
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

mikez wrote: My interest is two part, well beyond the obvious herp related aspect, one is the hate. I was shocked and I think state of Ma was shocked by the hate.
For me it got personal when I got in a debate on a fishing forum and haters crossed some lines this old time internet veteran found extreme. Kinda stupid considering its a local forum and the internet tough guys don't have the most secret identity. More to come there... ;)
You've definitely piqued my curiosity-what happened?
mikez

Post by mikez »

MCHerper wrote:
mikez wrote: My interest is two part, well beyond the obvious herp related aspect, one is the hate. I was shocked and I think state of Ma was shocked by the hate.
If you mean to me personally, I saw a thread on a Ma fishing forum on the plan to introduce rattlesnakes. I jumped in thinking outdoorsmen were nature lovers but underestimated how bad the hate for snakes was.
The short version, I pissed people off defending snakes and attacks got personal. One guy said he would make it his personal project to stop the plan just to spite me. Other things as well less nice, down to the formal FU.

My revenge will be when I return to the forum with pics of my nine year old boy holding very large bass caught in my enemy's favorite ponds - always with the name of the pond prominently displayed. Maybe directions for parking too. Now that's FU.
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

mikez wrote:
MCHerper wrote:
If you mean to me personally, I saw a thread on a Ma fishing forum on the plan to introduce rattlesnakes. I jumped in thinking outdoorsmen were nature lovers but underestimated how bad the hate for snakes was.
The short version, I pissed people off defending snakes and attacks got personal. One guy said he would make it his personal project to stop the plan just to spite me. Other things as well less nice, down to the formal FU.

My revenge will be when I return to the forum with pics of my nine year old boy holding very large bass caught in my enemy's favorite ponds - always with the name of the pond prominently displayed. Maybe directions for parking too. Now that's FU.
To quote the Gieco Hump-day Camel .... MikeMikeMikeMikeMike ... I cannot believe you are getting so worked up about this (actually, I can ... :lol: )

So I read the thread in the Boardline and followed up reading some of the emails ... yeah, it is amazing what people perceive. Thinking on this for a while, I don't think there is anything we (herpers) can do to change peoples' minds. If this were about Rat Snakes instead of Timbers, maybe you could reach people by explaining there is no threat to people. Hopefully MassWildlife can still go through with this regardless. This seems to be a nobel idea worth pursuing.
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

Hey Mike ... you going to be doing any Spring Migration Striper fishing down here in RI?
mikez

Post by mikez »

Jeffreyrichard wrote:Hey Mike ... you going to be doing any Spring Migration Striper fishing down here in RI?
Yes sir! I'm at the point in my life where my older boys are taking ME fishing. We'll be down last week in April/early May.
Been thinking of making a combo trip - hit the beach before sunrise then swing by that black rat spot in Ct on the way home.
My problem is I pretty much only get Sunday off. If weather ain't right, I'm SOL.
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

mikez wrote:
Jeffreyrichard wrote:Hey Mike ... you going to be doing any Spring Migration Striper fishing down here in RI?
Yes sir! I'm at the point in my life where my older boys are taking ME fishing. We'll be down last week in April/early May.
Been thinking of making a combo trip - hit the beach before sunrise then swing by that black rat spot in Ct on the way home.
My problem is I pretty much only get Sunday off. If weather ain't right, I'm SOL.
Let me know
mikez

Post by mikez »

Jeffreyrichard wrote:
mikez wrote:
Let me know
Will do. Been meaning to check out a green snake spot near James town.
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

mikez wrote:
Will do. Been meaning to check out a green snake spot near James town.
Did you make it down? We need to get together ..