Post your favorite Rattlesnake photo!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

dwakefield

Post your favorite Rattlesnake photo!

Post by dwakefield »

I know this has been done before, but I think the last thread was from 2010 and I'm SURE there are lots of new photos since then!

Try to keep it to one favorite rattler photo. Let's see some eye candy!

Here's mine. An Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake I hiked up with a friend in Miami-Dade County last month. The lighting was absolutely perfect for shooting!

ImageEDB by Daniel Wakefield, on Flickr
HERP.MX

Re: Post your favorite Rattlesnake photo!

Post by HERP.MX »

Maybe not a favorite, but this is sure a beautiful species:
Crotalus lannomi from Colima, Mexico. More info available here: http://herp.mx/l/000007
Russ Jerome

Post by Russ Jerome »

My favorite is a cell phone picture, several Timbers only a few days old with large females near bye:
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Northern Pacific Rattlesnake - Crotalus oreganus oreganus

Somewhere is the Emerald Triangle - Mendocino/Lake/Humboldt Counties

ImageNPR - C.o. oreganus by John Delgado, on Flickr
dwakefield

Post by dwakefield »

Very nice, everyone!
John Delgado wrote:Northern Pacific Rattlesnake - Crotalus oreganus oreganus

Somewhere is the Emerald Triangle - Mendocino/Lake/Humboldt Counties

ImageNPR - C.o. oreganus by John Delgado, on Flickr
John, the lighting on this NPR is really nice! When I was a teenager, I spent some time north east of Sacramento in the foothills and discovered a den site for NPRs. You could hike out there and be guaranteed to see at least 2 or 3 (or more) rattlesnakes every day. I had the chance to go out there again last month (15 years later) and hiked out to the same spot. Not a single rattlesnake to be found. Made me sad!
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/ ... CN6083.jpg
35 mi northern range extension (along the transverse ranges) for C o. helleri, (Barstow Helli) with my Summit Valley green (helli) no longer keep any herps... but these two were my favorite crotes, for years.
s_stocking

Post by s_stocking »

Couple of pics of a beautiful a Crotalus stephensi.....found further south in the Spring Mountains than any other records, and very close to known C. mitchelli pyrrhus records.....another piece in the puzzle of where does stephensi end and pyrrhus begin?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2n3ci9frefhic ... M.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mlwbs5ed5lo02 ... M.jpg?dl=0
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

s_stocking wrote:Couple of pics of a beautiful a Crotalus stephensi.....found further south in the Spring Mountains than any other records, and very close to known C. mitchelli pyrrhus records.....another piece in the puzzle of where does stephensi end and pyrrhus begin?

i find stephensi in san bernardino co... :)
s_stocking

Post by s_stocking »

As have I, in the Kingston range, also farther north in Inyo county..... I'm not familiar with how far south stephensi goes in eastern Cali (the Clark Mtns? NY Mtns?) nor how far north pyrrhus goes.

So far in NV we have not found 1) stephensi east of I-15, 2) pyrrhus west of I-15 (except North of LV along the US93) or 3) any zones of contact/sympatry....
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

s_stocking wrote:As have I, in the Kingston range, also farther north in Inyo county..... I'm not familiar with how far south stephensi goes in eastern Cali (the Clark Mtns? NY Mtns?) nor how far north pyrrhus goes.
I believe my most NE pyrrhus was from the Providences, but also believe they should be at the very least in the New Yorks... the Clarks may in fact be the best bet for any contact zone

I'm out there sometimes looking for Regal Ringneck, and will certainly report any specks seen... :thumb:
s_stocking

Post by s_stocking »

[/quote]
I believe my most NE pyrrhus was from the Providences, but also believe they should be at the very least in the New Yorks... the Clarks may in fact be the best bet for any contact zone

I'm out there sometimes looking for Regal Ringneck, and will certainly report any specks seen... :thumb:[/quote]

Sounds good Jim....drop me a line if your headed out this way and I may be able to round up a couple of herpers to meet you....kinda an ad hoc inter-chapter meeting; always good to have as many eyes and snake hooks as possible to improve the probability of detection :thumb: :)
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

bout one more downpour, in the MNP, and we'll do this... :thumb:
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

So far in NV we have not found 1) stephensi east of I-15, 2) pyrrhus west of I-15 (except North of LV along the US93) or 3) any zones of contact/sympatry....
Steve have you, Bob, or any of the other Vegas guys hit the Arrow Canyon Range yet? Either side, the long east slope with not-so-great access, or the short steep west slope right next to 93? I'd be down for a speck hunt there this spring.

Also recall Bryan H's museum-accessioned specimen from up near Caliente, or is that what yuou mean by "along the US93"? From memory, he was way into the boonies east of 93. Closer to the Utah border I think. Clover Mountains or some such??? I forget...

cheers
ChadHarrison

Post by ChadHarrison »

Sistrurus catenatus
ImageEastern Massasauga Rattlesnake by Chad Harrison, on Flickr
dwakefield

Post by dwakefield »

Nice photos, guys!
ChadHarrison wrote:Sistrurus catenatus
ImageEastern Massasauga Rattlesnake by Chad Harrison, on Flickr
Chad, where did you get the Massasauga? I've only gotten one and it was in Ontario, Canada........close to Lake Huron.
ChadHarrison

Post by ChadHarrison »

Daniel, the 'sauga is a Michigan animal.
s_stocking

Post by s_stocking »

Jimi wrote:
Steve have you, Bob, or any of the other Vegas guys hit the Arrow Canyon Range yet? Either side, the long east slope with not-so-great access, or the short steep west slope right next to 93? I'd be down for a speck hunt there this spring.

Also recall Bryan H's museum-accessioned specimen from up near Caliente, or is that what yuou mean by "along the US93"? From memory, he was way into the boonies east of 93. Closer to the Utah border I think. Clover Mountains or some such??? I forget...

cheers
Jimi-

I haven't hit the Arrow Canyon mountains yet;I think it's a great idea and I expect pyrrhus would be there given they are just to the south in the Muddy Mtns and further north on 93....my recollection is that Jason mentioned a couple of records, Bryan's could be what he was referring to. Also I talked to Marc Linsalata of the Cali chapter last year and he said he found a mitchelli in Lincoln county along/near the 93.....I think his record is in HERP.....
ewostl

Post by ewostl »

hellihooks wrote:I believe my most NE pyrrhus was from the Providences, but also believe they should be at the very least in the New Yorks... the Clarks may in fact be the best bet for any contact zone

I'm out there sometimes looking for Regal Ringneck, and will certainly report any specks seen...
I have seen one speck in the Clark Mountains....almost. It was a 10 inch section of body, the anterior and posterior ends had just been eaten. For what it's worth, it looked very similar to stephansi I have seen in the Kingstons.

Cheers

EW
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

ewostl wrote:
hellihooks wrote:I believe my most NE pyrrhus was from the Providences, but also believe they should be at the very least in the New Yorks... the Clarks may in fact be the best bet for any contact zone

I'm out there sometimes looking for Regal Ringneck, and will certainly report any specks seen...
I have seen one speck in the Clark Mountains....almost. It was a 10 inch section of body, the anterior and posterior ends had just been eaten. For what it's worth, it looked very similar to stephansi I have seen in the Kingstons.

Cheers

EW
interesting... thx
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Kyle from Carolina

Post by Kyle from Carolina »

deleted
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Yaaa ... I reall like that ^^^ shot there Kyle from Carolina :)
dwakefield

Post by dwakefield »

Great shots, everyone! Keep 'em coming!
gbeck

Post by gbeck »

I may have others that I would consider for my "favorite", but this is the only time I have bored a rattlesnake enough to get it to yawn.

ImageGreat Basin Rattlesnake (Crotalus oreganus lutosus) by Gavin Beck, on Flickr
NACairns

Post by NACairns »

Great stuff all round. Kyle, I think I recognize that pit full of vipers.
Glad it was favourite not best. I've never got a photo of C. pricei I've been crazy for but I really like hunting for them it's always a really nice day. This is my favourite:
ImageCrotalus pricei by N Cairns, on Flickr

I am also really partial to this C. cerastes that Jim and I (as well as others) hiked up in San Bernardino Co., Thanks again Jim:
ImageCrotalus cerastes by N Cairns, on Flickr

Spring is almost here, looking forward to checking some pits.
Best,
Nick
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

NACairns wrote:
I am also really partial to this C. cerastes that Jim and I (as well as others) hiked up in San Bernardino Co., Thanks again Jim:
ImageCrotalus cerastes by N Cairns, on Flickr

Spring is almost here, looking forward to checking some pits.
Best,
Nick
come on back anytime Nick... welcome mat's always out for you and yours... :thumb:
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Yesterday (March 29th) I found this very large male Canebrake Rattlesnake in southern Louisiana. It is, at least, my favorite rattlesnake photo of the year....

infidel

Post by infidel »

Dunno why but I've always like this one..
Adam Cooner

Post by Adam Cooner »

ImageCanebrake Rattlesnake by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

Bibb County, Alabama
Knightkrawler5

Post by Knightkrawler5 »

Timber Rattlesnake overlooking a river in Wisconsin.

Image7323 by Stuart Willicombe, on Flickr
socalherper

Post by socalherper »

Here is one of my personal favorite Crote pictures.... I have to say I had an analog camera and put my pictures on a cd. My buddy John had a digital. We took the same picture but I am not sure if this exact picture was taken by him or I but you get the image of a bitchin speck. This was quite a few years ago.

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

s_stocking wrote:Couple of pics of a beautiful a Crotalus stephensi.....found further south in the Spring Mountains than any other records, and very close to known C. mitchelli pyrrhus records.....another piece in the puzzle of where does stephensi end and pyrrhus begin?

You et al do know stephensi are found in the Calico's, just north of Barstow, right? fellow nafha members have found them there, and another just posted on High Desert Wildlife (where said Nafha members are Admins) a few days ago. I collected data from the contributing HDW member (including gps) to be entered in HERP (we're the first social media group in the country to have a data-entry account... 8-) )

I'll be out in the MNP this sunday... seeing what i can see... (my birthday herping trip :D )
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

Crotalus horridus, Connecticut.