CA Chapter outing 2016

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

SurfinHerp

CA Chapter outing 2016

Post by SurfinHerp »

Hello CA Chapter,

Unless I'm mistaken, 2016 marks the 10th anniversary of the formation of NAFHA.

I propose we plan a big CA Chapter get together to celebrate our first 10 years, reflect on our past successes, discuss ideas for moving forward, and of course - get in some quality field herping!

Here are some ideas for where and when we might go:

1.) the Eastern Mojave in May to search for regal ring-necks, Sonoran lyres, ground snakes, and other rarely seen CA herps.

2.) the Southeastern Sierras in July to try to find where large-bodied and dwarf type rubber boas occur.

3.) Sawtooth Canyon near Barstow in October, just because it's a cool place for a large group, and we can most likely get permission fairly easily.

I welcome more suggestions and ideas regarding when and where to go. I'm sure some of you have better ideas. I think it may be best to try to find somewhere in between the Bay Area and LA in order to make driving times about the same for members from both areas. That's why I'm leaning towards the southeastern Sierras.

What do you think??

Cheers,

Jeff
hellihooks

Re: CA Chapter outing 2016

Post by hellihooks »

I'm down for any of those... let me know if you need some footwork done, for ST or MNP... (i know people lol)

R. Hoyer needs more rubber boas (genetic samples) from precisely the area of the Sierra's, you suggest. If a bunch of citizen scientists, can't get together to help one of the Nation's primeire citizen scientists... :shock:
DallasJolly123

Post by DallasJolly123 »

What are the requirements to partake in something like this? I'd be very interested in attending the event.
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Great idea, Jeff!

I second the idea of having a chapter outing to the Southeastern Sierras in July. It would give is a wide range of options from desert floor to montane and everything in between. And as you said, it's sort of in the middle between the Bay Area and LA, though pretty far for you and others from the SD area. But, hey, you guys put the National Meeting last year right in your own backyard, so you can't complain ;)

Robert
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

Sounds good, and it's up my way....
mattg

Post by mattg »

Southern Sierras has my vote ! Been wanting to herp there for a long time and yeah there is a ton of stuff we could look for ! As of now I can do any weekend besides memorial day and the first two weekends in July. Great idea Jeff and something I've been thinking about a lot since last year's national meeting was only CA Chapter anyways.
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

The Southeastern Sierras would work for June.
Thanks for getting this started Jeff.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

I wouldn't mind the sierras!
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

OK, seems like the southeastern Sierras is a popular choice of locales. Let's plan on doing it there. The exact location of our 'base camp' can be decided upon later.

Now, we need to decide on the best dates...

I like the idea of doing it in July when herping in most parts of CA is very slow, but the mountains can still be good. Though it's tempting, I think we should avoid Independence Day weekend - too much traffic.

How does Friday thru Sunday, July 8th-10th, 2016, sound?
socalherper

Post by socalherper »

Hmmm... That might just be fun... I am going to keep checking back,
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

SurfinHerp wrote:OK, seems like the southeastern Sierras is a popular choice of locales. Let's plan on doing it there. The exact location of our 'base camp' can be decided upon later.

Now, we need to decide on the best dates...

I like the idea of doing it in July when herping in most parts of CA is very slow, but the mountains can still be good. Though it's tempting, I think we should avoid Independence Day weekend - too much traffic.

How does Friday thru Sunday, July 8th-10th, 2016, sound?
the herping was pretty good when ARC was held in early June, in Ridgcrest, in 07. guys went up to K-med and found plenty of herps, including rubber boas. i worry july may be too hot
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

Yeah Jim, I worry about the July heat too. June is probably a more reliable month. But a lot depends on the elevation we plan to search, and whether or not summer thunderstorms hit the area. T-storms may be more likely in July.

Anyhow, I overlooked a couple of things: Lawrence said he'd like to do it in June, and Matt said he's unavailable the first 2 weeks in July.

I think the weekend of June 24-26th could be good.

How does that work for everyone interested in attending?

Dallas Jolly - you've been entering records into HERP, right? If so, then you're welcome to join us.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Kennendy Meadows campsite would be good in june...it's in tulare co, so neither the boas nor Z's are 'no touch'... easy access to upper kern plataue... for certain slenders, sierra night lizards, and other eclectic, not often seen herps (desert whipsnakes, lepoard liz etc)

A lot will depend upon the weather... ;)
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Nick and I would also prefer June 24-26 over July 8-10.

Thanks for organizing!

Robert
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Yes, Dallas Jolly has been entering data, quite a few actually:

http://www.naherp.com/search.php?r_owne ... &r_county=

:)

Just on thing, Dallas: Please add dates and/or (at least approximate) times to the records that don't have them yet. Thanks.

Robert
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

Let's plan on holding the event from Frid. June 24th until Sunday June 26th, with our base camp at (or near) Kennedy Meadows.

Here's a rough outline of an agenda for the outing:

Friday, June 24th
- arrive at Kennedy Meadows whenever you can
- group campfire from 8-10 PM; discuss plans for tomorrow's herping

Saturday, June 25th
- herp all day!
- meet back at camp around 7 PM
- discuss NAFHA issues over dinner and campfire

Sunday, June 26th
- herp in the morning
- meet back at camp to eat lunch, share stories, and compile a species count
- check-out of campground
- afternoon herping and/or head back towards home

Please share any comments, suggestions, or ideas you have to improve the agenda.
Thanks!

Jeff
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

bring your fishing poles as well, if you like golden trout... :) let Hoyer know... :beer:
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Sounds perfect, Jeff - herp, eat, sleep. Repeat. :-)

Looking forward to it!

Robert and Nicholas
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

RobertH wrote:Sounds perfect, Jeff - herp, eat, sleep. Repeat. :-)

Looking forward to it!

Robert and Nicholas
perhaps I can help you find a B. robustus.... dang things look more like an ensatina than a slender... :shock: :thumb:

i'm fired up already... :crazyeyes:
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

campfire in the mornings and road cruise at night.. Field herping during the day will be mostly lizards..
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

Fundad - I think that rock-flipping could be good all day. However, it will probably be better from 10 AM - noon, then maybe again from 4-6 PM. Which means we could do like you suggest, and hold our campfires/meetings from about 7-9 AM, then go herping until after dark. We could also do a lunch time BBQ or something.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

during the day. if not looking for seepage sallies or Z's... i'll be trying to run down one of my few remaining Ca lifers... desert whip! :D

I've found night snakes up there too... :thumb:
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

Herping that late may be tough during the day. That said you can go higher than Kennedy and find garters. Jim, what was the date we went up with mike w.? The ARC was blazing hot on the desert floor in early june and all finds were up high at night. I found two rubbers that night. The day time temps were to high even up there for flipping rocks. All this said, its very unpredictable at this point, but I'm in...
Ted

Post by Ted »

Sorry I haven't been too active here the past few years, school's been keeping me busy. I'd be able to make it late June though, and it sounds like a blast!
Paul Lynum

Post by Paul Lynum »

This is something I think I'll attend. I love that area and have quite a bit of experience with. But, I'm with Fundad. Road cruising that time of year for rubber boas is the only way your going to find them really unless you get tat one oddball. Garter snakes and lizards during the day. Plus there's some sonata spots up there as well. They have a ton of black but the white is brilliant on them. Sounds like fun.

Paul Lynum
nightdriver

Post by nightdriver »

What may or may not be seen can only be speculated. The area could still be covered in snow... well probably not, but one things for sure....the more eyes the better. I'm going to try to make it, but June is a busy month this year. I look forward to possibly finally meeting some of you I haven't yet :thumb:

-nightdriver

Dibs on the section of road with snakes on it. ;)
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

Paul Lynum wrote:This is something I think I'll attend. I love that area and have quite a bit of experience with. But, I'm with Fundad. Road cruising that time of year for rubber boas is the only way your going to find them really unless you get tat one oddball. Garter snakes and lizards during the day. Plus there's some sonata spots up there as well. They have a ton of black but the white is brilliant on them. Sounds like fun.

Paul Lynum
I think thats what I said as well...lol
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

ricrabt wrote:
Paul Lynum wrote:This is something I think I'll attend. I love that area and have quite a bit of experience with. But, I'm with Fundad. Road cruising that time of year for rubber boas is the only way your going to find them really unless you get tat one oddball. Garter snakes and lizards during the day. Plus there's some sonata spots up there as well. They have a ton of black but the white is brilliant on them. Sounds like fun.

Paul Lynum
I think thats what I said as well...lol
As well... and most likely... better... OH SNAP... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: OGR!!!! :crazyeyes:
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

:thumb:
Paul Lynum

Post by Paul Lynum »

How about the weekend od July 23 and 24?
Richard F. Hoyer

Post by Richard F. Hoyer »

Jim Bass,
Jeff did get in touch with me. I had intended on arriving on the S. Kern Plateau in mid May as has been my usual routine the past few years. I have now changed plans and will arrive June 23rd.

I mentioned to Jeff that should any boas be found, I could record the information on the snakes during the day. That way, the boas could be returned where found or retained if individuals wish to keep specimens.

I have been toying with the idea of coming down one day earlier and night driving the road up towards the Mt. Whitney Portal from Lone Pine. There is a decent campgrounds up that road. I visited there last May but it was near freezing and snowed lightly that day. It snowed that night on the Kern Plateau and then the next day as well. I have not had very good luck with the weather in recent years so I am hoping that the month of June will be 'kinder' this year.
Richard FH (Corvallis, Oregon)
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

I have spent a fair amount of time in the Kern Plateau and found flipping boas relatively easy in early to mid-July. Perhaps, the high elevation (5930-7780 ft.) permitted the late-season discoveries, or luck. Moist meadows are scattered on Kern Plateau and boas have been found beneath soggy logs in late June. Thunderstorms, strike the region frequently, which evokes movement on the surface as well as beneath objects. I seem to stumble upon boas in the Kern Plateau and nearby Greenhorn Mountains often, and consider them one the most common snakes of the region.
Paul Lynum

Post by Paul Lynum »

Richard,

Are you looking at June 23rd or June 23? I picked July because that time of year in any weather condition we can find boas easily at least. The moon phase will be good again (Rubber Boas are not affected by moon though) for all herps. I would very much enjoy being back in the field with you again. It's been a long time. Fieldnotes, I agree. July rocks on the Kern.

PL
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Richard F. Hoyer wrote:Jim Bass,
Jeff did get in touch with me. I had intended on arriving on the S. Kern Plateau in mid May as has been my usual routine the past few years. I have now changed plans and will arrive June 23rd.

I mentioned to Jeff that should any boas be found, I could record the information on the snakes during the day. That way, the boas could be returned where found or retained if individuals wish to keep specimens.

I have been toying with the idea of coming down one day earlier and night driving the road up towards the Mt. Whitney Portal from Lone Pine. There is a decent campgrounds up that road. I visited there last May but it was near freezing and snowed lightly that day. It snowed that night on the Kern Plateau and then the next day as well. I have not had very good luck with the weather in recent years so I am hoping that the month of June will be 'kinder' this year.
Richard FH (Corvallis, Oregon)
I look forward to seeing you there, and helping you get what you need for your research, which is what it's all about.
Speaking of which... our next hi-ele Tejon Ranch survey is 4/10 and i fully anticipate boas being found (i'm gonna flip till I drip, then rd cruise home :crazyeyes: ) I have the capabilities to take genetic samples, (which I could bring to K-med) but you might want to contact Todd Battey regarding permissions to collect said samples.

Shiny cuts n Shallow ruts :thumb: Jim
Richard F. Hoyer

Post by Richard F. Hoyer »

PL,
I agreed to the weekend dates of June 24 - 26 because of the plans laid out my Jeff Nordland. But I could easily come down a second time during July as well if that would be best for you. This year likely will be my last time traveling to S. Calif. Of course, I said that last year and the year before.

My stamina has noticeably gone down hill the past 4 years. So a couple of hours hiking and turning rock is likely my limit each day. I still hunt my Harris’s Hawk every 3rd day but our hunts seldom last more than an hour and that seems to be about my ‘speed’ these days.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JB,
As for taking samples of tissue, I do so by using surgical scissors and removing a thin strip of skin about 1/4 in length on the dorsal side of the tail about an inch or two below the vent. It leaves an open wound that gets dirt encrusted and thus scabs over very quickly then take 2 – 3 sheds to heal completely. Such wounds have zero impact on the specimens of this species.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow afternoon, I will be leaving for the Napa Valley where on Friday, I will arrive at my sister’s residence in St. Helena. Then on the April 2nd, I will meet up with Ben G. He found a male Rubber Boa on Mt. St. Helena in Napa County last year and will be taking me to that site. I met him last year and we searched in the same greater Mt. St. Helena region where Lake, Napa, and Sonoma Counties meet. We made some searches in Lake and Sonoma County but didn’t have time that day to head into Napa County.

We did come across 2 – 3 Ringneck Snakes, one zonata, and one DOR W. Terrestrial Garter Snake that day. At his point in time, the boa population in the Mt. St. Helena region is more of a mystery than the boas on the S. Kern Plateau. The other boa populations for which there is little to nothing known are those from San Luis Obispo County and Monterey County as well. There are few vouchers from Monterey County but none from San Luis Obispo Co.

Richard FH
dave_zeldin

Post by dave_zeldin »

Sounds like fun guys! Would love to join. I'll check my schedule.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend this event, due to other obligations that weekend.

Brian
Jeremy's Dad

Post by Jeremy's Dad »

My dad and I are very exited for this event! We are hoping to make it down even though the drive might be a bit long. I was wondering what the exact location where we would be camping would be? There seem to be lots of of "Kennedy Meadows" ;).
Thanks,
Jeremy and Alan
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

West of Ridgecrest Ca... up on the Kern Plateau (Tulare co) hope to see you guys there... :thumb:
Jeremy's Dad

Post by Jeremy's Dad »

We are pretty sure we are going to make it, but what are the sleeping arrangements? Do we need to reserve a campsite, or is that already taken care of?
Thanks,
Jeremy
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

it's one of those put your fee in an envelope and drop it in the box deals, for an actual 'camp site'... or... pitch your tents 'nearby'... :|
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

We should probably decide fairly soon exactly when and where the chapter meeting will be. As Jeremy's post shows, some people who plan to attend would be coming from pretty far away (in this case Marin County) and they need to know well ahead of time exactly what to expect - if anything.

Let's start with the date:

Are we still looking at the weekend of June 24-26? If so, let's get a head count of who would actually be there.

Nicholas and I would be there.

Thanks,

Robert
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

Yes, June 24-26 at Kennedy Meadows Campground.
I plan to bring my two boys Trevor and Brady along with me.

Here is a quick outline of an agenda:

Frid. June 24th
- arrive at Kennedy Meadows, set-up camp
- rock-flipping in the afternoon?
- road-cruising in the evening?

Sat. June 25th
- 8-10 AM CA Chapter meeting and discussion
- then herping all day and into the night

Sun. June 26th
- 8-10 AM Chapter breakfast and storytelling
- herp until it's time to go home

If for some reason there is not enough room at Kennedy Meadows, then our back-up plan is to camp at Troy Meadows (8 miles W. of Kennedy Meadows), or perhaps Fish Creek. There is very little to no cell coverage in most of the area, so communication will be a challenge. I bet we can post messages at the general store at Kennedy Meadows though.

I hope to arrive a day in advance in order to preview the situation. I will try to send out a last minute update for everyone on Thurs. evening June 23rd. I may also stay an extra day to do some fishing as well as herping.

Jeff
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

Paul Lynum wrote:Richard,

Are you looking at June 23rd or June 23? I picked July because that time of year in any weather condition we can find boas easily at least. The moon phase will be good again (Rubber Boas are not affected by moon though) for all herps. I would very much enjoy being back in the field with you again. It's been a long time. Fieldnotes, I agree. July rocks on the Kern.

PL
Paul, That's interesting that the moon has no effect on rubbers. I've had just the opposite results in the mountains near me. I've had tremendous success until the moon peeks up then nothing. I've tried on moon lit nights when everything else looks good and nothing. I've done this over the past few years with the same results, especially on nights when the moon rises after 10pm or so. With Rosys and crotes ive seen different results. Ive found up to 9 rosys on a 60 percent moon lit night. I wonder if locality could play a role. Thoughts???...John
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Awesome, Jeff!

So far, we have more kids than adults. :lol:

Robert
mattg

Post by mattg »

I will be attending this event in some capacity , i have no woed out the details as far as work schedule, possibly bringing my son, etc. but at very least i wil be up there for a day or so. thanks for putting this together Jeff. :beer:
Wonderjeep

Post by Wonderjeep »

I would really like to attend this. It would be my first meeting of this type from this forum and I am anxious to do it. The down side is that my life is in a state of serious change. I really won't know if I can do this until later. I will let you know when I get closer.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

RobertH wrote:Awesome, Jeff!

So far, we have more kids than adults. :lol:

Robert
which am I getting counted as??? :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

I had all forgotten about you, Jim. Now the ratio is even more skewed. :crazyeyes: :lol:
mark buck

Post by mark buck »

Sounds cool!

Off work that weekend so i'll be there,
waiting to see if my dad will be able to join as well.