RFI(?) Belize and questions about a few species

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Antonsrkn

RFI(?) Belize and questions about a few species

Post by Antonsrkn » February 1st, 2016, 12:08 pm

Hello all,

So it looks like I will be in Belize for about a week in March, I haven't started any serious planning or research into it yet and thought I would ask on here for some tips and advice to those of you who have spent time there.

I know March is a rather dry month down there, but I'd imagine stuff is still moving around at night. While I may not be able to find the same numbers as during a wetter time I should still hopefully find some cool critters. The goals of the trip are to see as much wildlife as possible (both herps and everything else!) and do some scuba diving, but its a family trip so I probably won't be able to plunge into the wilderness quite as much as I would like.

Are there any reserves/areas I should definitely make sure to visit? Can anyone recommend any places to stay, ideally somewhere I would be able to venture out into quality habitat at night for extended night hikes.

Can anyone offer any advice on finding Yucatán Banded Geckos (Coleonyx elegans)? They're as close to a main goal as I have at the moment.

With the dry conditions I imagine frogs aren't going to be too numerous. But do you folks that are a bit better acquainted with the conditions down there at that time of year think that it would be possible to find Agalychnis? Its been a few years since I have seen A. callidryas and I'd love to see them again.

Any other general advice or tips would certainly be greatly appreciated. I realize its kind of a general request but like I said I haven't started planning yet.

Thanks in advance!

Some of you may know me, but I haven't been as active lately, if you want some info on who you'd be sharing information with here goes: I am a graduate student researching Dendrobatids, currently working towards a career in ecology/conservation/herpetology. I'm a firm believer in taking only photos and leaving only footprints, but I do take a lot of photos! If you want to check them out you can see a bunch here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

lateralis

Re: RFI(?) Belize and questions about a few species

Post by lateralis » February 1st, 2016, 2:33 pm

Can anyone offer any advice on finding Yucatán Banded Geckos (Coleonyx elegans)? They're as close to a main goal as I have at the moment.
Fairly common, plan on flipping them or finding them on roads n trails at night. I have a lot of experience in BZ pm me and we can talk.

shanicy

Re: RFI(?) Belize and questions about a few species

Post by shanicy » February 2nd, 2016, 6:03 am

Hi anton!
Check out that reserve:
http://www.belizeaudubon.org/?page_id=3605

It was my first time in the jungles ever so I wasnt aware to a lot of things.

Ive seen some coffee snakes and parrot snake, some frogs and mammals and Jaguar footprints!

You can sleep in the reserve for a really cheap prices.
Bring your own food.

Shani