Request for Apalachicola NF info and Possible Hook up

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

palmer1076

Request for Apalachicola NF info and Possible Hook up

Post by palmer1076 »

A group of Herpers from Tennessee and Missouri are planning a trip to Apalachicola NF for March 26-April 2. We are interested in information for this area or possible get together for herping, fishing, photography, birding, canoeing.

Hopefully some of you can join us.

Thanks,
Bill Palmer
BillMcGighan

Re: Request for Apalachicola NF info and Possible Hook up

Post by BillMcGighan »

Could you be more specific of info you seek, Bill?
palmer1076

Post by palmer1076 »

Sure. More Information follows:

I have been going to snake road for several years for both the spring and fall migrations. Over that time, I have met several herpers from Illinois and Tennessee. We have been meeting at Snake Road for several years but this year we thought we would like to try a new place. We settled on Apalachicola NF because of it location (not too far from MO, TN, and IL) and possible species. We would hope to see and photograph Eastern Diamondback RS, Pygmy RS, Indigo, Coral Snake, and other regional specialties. We hope to throw in some fishing time as well.

We have found a house to rent for a base camp at Lanark Village on the Ochlocknee River. Not knowing the area, the location looked pretty good.

We would appreciate any tips on locations for the above species or general places that might offer good herping. And if anyone from the area was going afield during that time period we would be interested in meeting and possibly going afield with them.

Hope this helps.

Bill Palmer
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

All your species mentioned (+), save indigo, are common in that area. It probably won't be as good as snake road, but you can occasionally have a "Kauffeld day".
You could even find some in the yard of your rental house.

Your timing is good for that area, lots of dirt road movement, especially by males.
It can be unseasonably warm and night cruising can turn on; with cooler weather there should be movement in the day, very cold weather, but strong sun, under cover.

Get a Delorme map book for Florida and/or GPS and dive into the national forest.
Even with a normal size 4WD, be careful of forest road puddles. Local folks with large "mudder" tires are common and these can dig 4 deep holes in which you can belly out.

Several places to rent boats and light to medium tackle fish can make your trip (reds, trout, stripers, Spanish mackerel, etc.)
We regularly wade flats near Pt ST Joe, with spoons, trout touts, zara spooks, etc on spinning; clouser minnows, deer hair divers, and poppers on 8 wt fly rod. (Shuffle your feet when wading. That area seems to have more sting rays than anywhere in FL.)

Birding is like herping: virtually anywhere can be exceptional.

good luck
simus343

Post by simus343 »

I just mentioned in another SE chapter related post that I am intending to head over there around that time. If I can, I'll try to make a trip over there and meet up with you all. Road cruising is the best technique in Florida, people scavenge trash piles in this state frequently. You might check down by the coast, I find EDBs easier to turn up down there than I do in the upland areas. There is also the Gulf Salt Marsh Snakes, another snake that is a treat to see. Pygmies, they are abundant down by the coast as well. I've never had much luck with corals, so I can't really give any pointers there. For Indigos you'd have more luck in Conecuh National Forest in Alabama or Ocala National Forest in central Florida. I don't recall even hearing about Indigos being found in recent years in the ANF.
palmer1076

Post by palmer1076 »

Thanks to both of you for the info. We knew Indigo would be hard, if not impossible, but I did read that there is a reintroduction program in the ANF.

We are looking forward to the trip and with your pointers it should be a great trip.

Bill Palmer
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

Carl D. May

Post by Carl D. May »

Coluber Constrictor wrote:St Marks NWR, Torreya State Park and Wakulla Springs SP are places near the area worth checking out if you have the time.

One thing I have noticed, there is not much junk to flip in the ANF proper but you might have better luck in some of the coastal towns with that. Should be plenty of daytime surface activity pretty much everywhere in the area by that time though. I think the peak season for rattlers would be a little later in spring.

Ditto. Those are all good places to hit if you have the time.
Also, while there is very little to flip in the ANF, walking along the roadside drainage ditches does produce interesting finds. I've spent many (100s of) hours both driving the numerous (countless!) dirt roads in the forest and then walking the vegetated ditch edges. Hiking the road edges in the spring is much more interesting and frankly more productive. You'll find more box turtles, smaller snakes and see tons more of the very cool carnivorous plants doing this than you would see from a car or truck windshield. In addition, you'll hear the birds better too.
palmer1076

Post by palmer1076 »

Thanks for all the tips. It should be a good visit and we are really looking forward to getting to know the area.

Bill Palmer