Places near Fresno?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

BayFun

Places near Fresno?

Post by BayFun »

Hi my name is . I'm going to Fresno this weekend for a reptile expo, but since it's a pretty long drive from home (I live in Western Contra Costa County, specifically Danville) I really want to make the most of this drive, also because I've never been remotely near inland CA. So far, I'm heavily considering driving to Sierra National Forest but that's a pretty far ride and also I'm not sure if I'll have enough time for that place (It's above 2,000 sq miles and I don't know squat about its trails). Are there any places closer to Fresno (or on the way back to Danville) that could be worthwhile? Yes, I'm aware of the forum's locality disclosure rule, so please don't give out anything too specific if you don't want to. But for ease of mind, I could give you some important personal information if you PM me.
I'm not interested in collecting anything.
Roadcruising for me wouldn't be too great since I can't drive (I've just turned 15, so probably about 1/3 the age of most forum members :crazyeyes: ) and my mom isn't crazy about driving. Still, I really want to try it some day.

I'd also be willing to hike with someone else! That'd be really fun and I'd be really grateful for it.

I'm pretty much a complete greenhorn, so general tips would also be appreciated! Thanks for your time in reading this.
EDIT: Wow, I never imagined I'd offer to give out my personal information to a stranger before :lol:
Calfirecap

Re: Places near Fresno?

Post by Calfirecap »

BayFun,
Unless you are going to make this trip an overnighter you really won't have much, if any time for field herping, so if this is a day trip I would concentrate any field herping activities to an area close to the highway, preferably with some sort of a debris field. Save the Sierras for the Spring, enjoy your time at the herp show, and thank your mom for taking you.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

It's pretty cold up there right now, and you likely wont see much, except for skinks and lizards, it isn't anything like the coast where you live.. There are salamanders in the lower foothills before you reach the forest.
BayFun

Post by BayFun »

Thanks! I'll follow the advice of both of you. If I see anything I'll make a post of it. :)
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Guess they didn't see anything...
BayFun

Post by BayFun »

Nope D:

But at least I found a couple Contia tenuis near my house the next day. :)