florida herp activity question

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Post Reply
Kfen
Posts: 400
Joined: June 17th, 2010, 4:51 am
Location: CT

florida herp activity question

Post by Kfen » January 25th, 2016, 11:44 am

I am going to be in south Florida (Hollywood) this coming weekend and will have a few hours during the day next Monday to do some herping. My options were going to be head north to the canefields for some flipping or south to ENP for some daytime cruising/hiking. Obviously the weather of that day will be a factor, but has there been activity in either of those places recently? Do you think I have a better chance for success in one or the other? My time is very limited so I am hoping someone can share some advice. Thanks

simus343
Posts: 566
Joined: March 30th, 2014, 12:16 pm
Location: Okaloosa ca, Fla.

Re: florida herp activity question

Post by simus343 » January 25th, 2016, 12:29 pm

I've not been in S. Fla, but the ecological nightmare of the cane fields you will find king snakes, they have been being turned up left right and center these past few weeks by some people I know down there. I'd personally go to ENP, unless you're set on a king.

Kfen
Posts: 400
Joined: June 17th, 2010, 4:51 am
Location: CT

Re: florida herp activity question

Post by Kfen » January 25th, 2016, 12:37 pm

That's funny you say that, I was in the canefields in March several years ago and found everything BUT a king. That is the one reason I would go there, kind of a redemption trip.

User avatar
Josh Young
Posts: 262
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 8:59 pm
Location: Wakulla County, Florida
Contact:

Re: florida herp activity question

Post by Josh Young » January 27th, 2016, 2:39 pm

Plenty of Brooks kings have been turning up in ENP the past 2 months.

User avatar
Tim Borski
Posts: 1855
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 6:28 am
Location: FL Keys
Contact:

Re: florida herp activity question

Post by Tim Borski » January 28th, 2016, 9:04 am

Cane fields = better chance at snakes of interest as opposed to hiking during the day in ENP. Jmo
The weather this far south looks kind of "tweener" at present.

Tim

rtdunham
Posts: 219
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:43 pm

Re: florida herp activity question

Post by rtdunham » February 15th, 2016, 8:27 pm

simus343 wrote:...king snakes...have been being turned up left right and center these past few weeks by some people I know down there...
Are there still a lot of people collecting what they find here? And to what end? Or is it more observing, photographing and releasing?

simus343
Posts: 566
Joined: March 30th, 2014, 12:16 pm
Location: Okaloosa ca, Fla.

Re: florida herp activity question

Post by simus343 » February 15th, 2016, 9:14 pm

rtdunham wrote:
simus343 wrote:...king snakes...have been being turned up left right and center these past few weeks by some people I know down there...
Are there still a lot of people collecting what they find here? And to what end? Or is it more observing, photographing and releasing?

All of the above. Everyone that I associate with though is 99.9% observe and photograph only. There are no doubt people, though, that will go through the cane fields and spend all day grabbin' and baggin'.

Kfen
Posts: 400
Joined: June 17th, 2010, 4:51 am
Location: CT

Re: florida herp activity question

Post by Kfen » February 17th, 2016, 10:30 am

rtdunham wrote:
simus343 wrote:...king snakes...have been being turned up left right and center these past few weeks by some people I know down there...
Are there still a lot of people collecting what they find here? And to what end? Or is it more observing, photographing and releasing?

I was only planning on photographing.

If anyone was curious I ended up going to the canefields just because it was supposed to be thunderstorming the whole day in ENP. Unfortunately I did not find any kings. The majority of flipping spots I had visited about 5 years ago I either could not find again or were cleaned up. So I wasted a bunch of time driving around and only walked a few canals. I did see some basilisks which were new to me.

User avatar
mtratcliffe
Posts: 533
Joined: January 19th, 2014, 4:34 pm
Location: Springfield, VA

Re: florida herp activity question

Post by mtratcliffe » February 17th, 2016, 1:55 pm

Kfen wrote:
rtdunham wrote:
simus343 wrote:...king snakes...have been being turned up left right and center these past few weeks by some people I know down there...
Are there still a lot of people collecting what they find here? And to what end? Or is it more observing, photographing and releasing?

I was only planning on photographing.

If anyone was curious I ended up going to the canefields just because it was supposed to be thunderstorming the whole day in ENP. Unfortunately I did not find any kings. The majority of flipping spots I had visited about 5 years ago I either could not find again or were cleaned up. So I wasted a bunch of time driving around and only walked a few canals. I did see some basilisks which were new to me.
Bummer. Did you check anywhere else out?

Kfen
Posts: 400
Joined: June 17th, 2010, 4:51 am
Location: CT

Re: florida herp activity question

Post by Kfen » February 18th, 2016, 5:14 am

My canefield day was my only dedicated herp day, but yeah I did a bunch of other outdoor things with family- airboat, kayaking, and the shark valley bike trail. I saw the usual south florida herps- alligators, red belly turtles, cooters, softshells, green iguanas, curly tail lizards, anoles, and one racer. I was surprised not to see any nerodia. The only pics I took were of a curly tail living in my sister's rarely used car in her driveway.

User avatar
mtratcliffe
Posts: 533
Joined: January 19th, 2014, 4:34 pm
Location: Springfield, VA

Re: florida herp activity question

Post by mtratcliffe » February 18th, 2016, 1:23 pm

Kfen wrote:My canefield day was my only dedicated herp day, but yeah I did a bunch of other outdoor things with family- airboat, kayaking, and the shark valley bike trail. I saw the usual south florida herps- alligators, red belly turtles, cooters, softshells, green iguanas, curly tail lizards, anoles, and one racer. I was surprised not to see any nerodia. The only pics I took were of a curly tail living in my sister's rarely used car in her driveway.
Well, sounds like it was a good trip still! Where did you go kayaking?

Kfen
Posts: 400
Joined: June 17th, 2010, 4:51 am
Location: CT

Re: florida herp activity question

Post by Kfen » February 20th, 2016, 6:08 pm

mtratcliffe wrote: Well, sounds like it was a good trip still! Where did you go kayaking?
A small park right in Hollywood called West Lake park. You can canoe through mangroves. I didn't see any herps while there, but I keep going back in hopes of spotting a salt marsh snake.

User avatar
mtratcliffe
Posts: 533
Joined: January 19th, 2014, 4:34 pm
Location: Springfield, VA

Re: florida herp activity question

Post by mtratcliffe » February 21st, 2016, 1:51 pm

Kfen wrote:
mtratcliffe wrote: Well, sounds like it was a good trip still! Where did you go kayaking?
A small park right in Hollywood called West Lake park. You can canoe through mangroves. I didn't see any herps while there, but I keep going back in hopes of spotting a salt marsh snake.
I'm assuming they'd be there. I may try to kayak a few spots in the Everglades this April. And I'd love to check out the Loxahatchee River to the north someday.

User avatar
ebit123
Posts: 85
Joined: August 19th, 2014, 8:31 pm
Location: North Providence, RI

Re: florida herp activity question

Post by ebit123 » February 20th, 2017, 9:34 am

I'll be down in Florida in mid April and not too far from the cane fields area. I'd like to check out, as well as hit some of the Florida trail for day hiking. Are the roads that go through the fields public access? Don't want to get in trouble for tresspassing. (We'd either drive along or walk along, but early morning or late afternoon). (We only take pictures and flip ).

User avatar
Josh Holbrook
Posts: 2195
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 7:11 am
Location: Western North Carolina
Contact:

Re: florida herp activity question

Post by Josh Holbrook » February 20th, 2017, 6:02 pm

Kfen wrote:
mtratcliffe wrote: Well, sounds like it was a good trip still! Where did you go kayaking?
A small park right in Hollywood called West Lake park. You can canoe through mangroves. I didn't see any herps while there, but I keep going back in hopes of spotting a salt marsh snake.

They've actually never been documented in Broward County, yet, so if you do see one there, let me know.
ebit123 wrote:I'll be down in Florida in mid April and not too far from the cane fields area. I'd like to check out, as well as hit some of the Florida trail for day hiking. Are the roads that go through the fields public access? Don't want to get in trouble for tresspassing. (We'd either drive along or walk along, but early morning or late afternoon). (We only take pictures and flip ).
There are plenty of paved/public roads, but many of the dirt roads through the cane fields are gated. In Florida Ag property is understood as "no tresspassing" though.

Post Reply