rain's on the way - who's going for amphibians this week?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

SurfinHerp

rain's on the way - who's going for amphibians this week?

Post by SurfinHerp »

Happy New Year California Chapter!

The forecast looks pretty good for finding amphibians this week in So. Cal. (see article below). I'm planning to go out a couple of times at least. I'll post pics if I have any luck.

Let us know if you go out and find anything interesting. Feel free to share photos here.

My most recent cool find was this intergrade large-blotched/Monterey ensatina from the mountains of SD County...

Good luck!

Jeff

Train of storms to drench California, southwestern US as El Nino takes hold

By Brett Rathbun, AccuWeather.com Meteorologist

January 3, 2016; 5:44 PM ET

A series of storms will bring welcome rainfall across California and other portions of the southwestern United States this week. The track of these storms is fueled by El Niño in the tropical Pacific Ocean. "The above-average temperatures in the tropical Pacific Ocean, known as El Niño, tends to strengthen the storm track into the West Coast and occasionally California during the winter," AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Alex Sosnowski said.

While a parade of storms slammed into the northwestern United States during November and December, the southwestern U.S. will receive days of precipitation this week. "The pattern in the West will remain quite active through the coming week," AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Matt Rinde said. While rainfall will be measured in inches from California and into parts of Arizona, these storms will not erase the drought across the Southwest. Snow will fall across the mountains which will be beneficial for filling lakes and rivers during the spring and summer months. Snowfall will be measured in feet across the Sierra Nevada. Snow this week could cause travel problems near Donner Pass.

The first storm will move through late on Sunday into Tuesday morning. This storm will be the weakest across Southern California with only a light rainfall expected. The storm is more likely to bring heavier rain from Baja California, Mexico into Arizona and New Mexico.

Rain will fall along the California coast including San Francisco late on Sunday into Sunday night, while snow will fall across Flagstaff, Arizona, on Monday. The deserts of southern Arizona, including Phoenix, could receive up to 0.50 of an inch of rain during Monday into Tuesday.

The next few storms to roll ashore will be from Tuesday into Friday and will be stronger and bring heavier rainfall and higher-elevation snow across all of California and into Arizona and New Mexico. "While most of the rain and snow will fall at moderate rates with minimal impact, there will be heavier rain later Tuesday into Tuesday night which could cause some flooding in some of the hills surrounding Los Angeles," Rinde said.

According to AccuWeather Meteorologist Dave Samuhel, "The storms during the second half of the week have the potential to unload 1-3 feet of snow on the mountains and ski resorts of Southern California." In addition to wintry travel problems, enough rain will fall to raise the risk of sporadic urban flooding and a small number of mudslides, especially in burn scar areas from wildfires. Motorists will need to allow extra time for their commutes much of this week, due to wet roads and slick conditions, especially along interstates 5, 8, 10, 15, 40 and 80.

Winds are not expected to be strong with these storms compared to those that rolled across the northwestern U.S. over the last couple months.

Rainfall totals through the week will be measured in inches from coastal California, including Crescent City, San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego, and in Phoenix. Flagstaff, Arizona, could have between 1 to 2 feet of snow by the end of the week. "Moderate to heavy mountain snow will fall across central and northern Arizona, specifically around Flagstaff," Rinde said.

By next weekend into the following week, storms will return to the northwestern U.S. "In the wake of the late-week storm, the pattern will again adjust with another precipitation lull in Southern California, with a return to some storminess in the Northwest," AccuWeather Long Range Meteorologist Paul Pastelok said. While rain will continue to reach portions of northern and central California, little if any rain will fall from Southern California into Arizona and New Mexico.
MarcLinsalata

Re: rain's on the way - who's going for amphibians this week

Post by MarcLinsalata »

Wanted to go the past two nights but the rain stopped - so I have to go tomorrow night after work - at 3am.......... :?

Marc
SurfinHerp

Re: rain's on the way - who's going for amphibians this week

Post by SurfinHerp »

Last night was pretty good in the mid-elevation areas of SD County. Between four herpers in two cars, we saw:
25+ Monterey ensatinas
1 large-blotched ensatina
dozens of western toads
maybe 20 or so tree frogs
I may have seen one spadefoot toad as well.

Most of the Montereys were found by shining along the roadside in areas where we found one on the road. The best stop produced about 6 or 7 individuals if I remember correctly.

In the areas above 4,000 feet, I didn't see much of anything. Seemed a bit too cold (about 36-40 F). Just a few frogs and toads.

Here are some Monterey pics...

This one looked like an arboreal salamander at first glance due to it's brown back. Image
That guy needed a fresh shed!

Be careful if you go out driving tonight!
There were tons of fallen rocks on the roads last night, and there will possibly be twice as many tonight.

Cheers,

Jeff