Oreganus Question

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ChadHarrison

Oreganus Question

Post by ChadHarrison »

Greetings from the Midwest all,

I'll be spending some time around Mendocino County and elsewhere nearby from January 19-22nd with MikeMike and Tuatarifer. We've pretty well got the itinerary nailed down, so I'm not looking for spots or anything.

I am curious as to when is the latest in the year you folks see oreganus? In my hood, as long as it's 50-60 and sunny, you can see Agkistrodon all year 'round if you know where to look. How do your crotes work? Are they pretty tough, or do they keep it subterranean once those night temps drop?
Zach_Lim

Re: Oreganus Question

Post by Zach_Lim »

ChadHarrison wrote:Greetings from the Midwest all,

I'll be spending some time around Mendocino County and elsewhere nearby from January 19-22nd with MikeMike and Tuatarifer. We've pretty well got the itinerary nailed down, so I'm not looking for spots or anything.

I am curious as to when is the latest in the year you folks see oreganus? In my hood, as long as it's 50-60 and sunny, you can see Agkistrodon all year 'round if you know where to look. How do your crotes work? Are they pretty tough, or do they keep it subterranean once those night temps drop?
In San Mateo County, I've found oreganus well into December and into January peaking out of rock outcrops and cracks on days with sun.

Say hi to Mike Mike for me!
Hadar

Post by Hadar »

ChadHarrison wrote:Greetings from the Midwest all,

Great to hear that you are coming out this way Chad. I can't wait to see what you find!!!

Cheers, Heather
daniel

Post by daniel »

I just came accross a helleri that was out sunning yesterday in Los Angeles county. I think the temperature was somewhere in the high 50s to maybe around 60. It was definitely the coldest I had ever seen a crote active down here.

Good luck!
ChadHarrison

Post by ChadHarrison »

Thanks for all the tips, folks! I'm definitely not counting on seeing one, but it would be a nice addition to what is already on the menu.