November Species List

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

gretzkyrh4

November Species List

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

New month, time for a new species list. As I finally made it into the field for the first time in far too long, I figured I'd start things off. Here's the tally from a local morning hike with Brennan. Overnight low was 37 F, but temps were in the 40s by the time we started.

Here's the list:

East Baton Rouge Parish, LA
11/01/14:

Snakes:
1 Agkistrodon piscivorus (Western Cottonmouth)
2 Carphophis amoenus (Midwestern Worm Snake)
3 Diadophis punctatus (Mississippi Ringneck)
1 Thamnophis sirtalis (Eastern Garter Snake)

Lizards:
1 Plestiodon fasciatus (5-lined Skink)

Amphibians:
TMTC Acris crepitans (Northern Cricket Frog) *Sorry Jeff. It was probably 50+, but I didn't count.
8-10 Ambystoma opacum (Marbled Salamander)
1 Eurycea guttolineata (3-lined Salamander)
10-12 Eurycea quadradigitata (Dwarf Salamander)
3 Gastrophryne carolinensis (Eastern Narrowmouth Toad)
1 Lithobates catesbeianus (Bull Frog)
10-15 Lithobates clamitans (Bronze Frog)
1 Notophthalmus viridescens (Central Newt)
1 Pseudacris crucifer (Spring Peeper)

Turtles:
1 Trachemys scripta (Red Eared Slider)
Jeff

Re: November Species List

Post by Jeff »

Sorry Jeff
Cricket frogs can be tough, even with a piece of note paper and pencil in my shirt pocket. One day along the sandy shore of the Comite there were seemingly 5-10 juveniles leaping at every step, and some would jump over each other, some landing ahead, perhaps to be counted again. To further confuse matters, there seemed to be an equal number of tiger beetles flying up and ahead of me, creating a constant bewilderment of pea-sized gray objects over the sand.

That was a great day - 2 worms, which is half as many as I have ever seen. My October field work was very sparse. I saw more snakes in my yard than the woods! I should have tagged along as I live about two miles from the place.

Jeff
gretzkyrh4

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

Didn't realize you lived on that side of town. I'll try to shoot you an email next time Brennan and I head that way.

As for the worms, we've tallied 6 on the site so far. Most have come under tin/boards with at least 1 individual being found between layers of stacked tin in direct sunlight.

Chris
upcreek83

Post by upcreek83 »

I'm gonna be out there after New years. I'm gonna herp below the big bioux bridge that's 10 miles long. Think I'll have any luck or am I waisting my time? I know it's been kinda warm during the day and 50's at night.