It is currently December 14th, 2018, 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: An introduction and some shots from the Northern Territory
PostPosted: December 12th, 2015, 9:50 pm 
User avatar

Joined: April 2nd, 2015, 7:30 am
Posts: 132
Location: Utah
Hi all,

I've been bugging people in various subforums so I thought I should make a formal introduction. My name is Derek, philosophically minded, and I'm an avid herp enthusiast. I am new to the hobby despite a lifelong interest in herps (particularly lizards and snakes). I'm getting used to field work, checking things out, and learning how to use my camera in the dark. I'm not sure how you pros do it, haha! I live in Oregon, and would greatly enjoy meeting up with people in the area. I love desert hikes! I was all over the desert this past summer

In either case, I thought I would share the most recent "big" herping trip I went on. I went to the top end of Australia in September. My whole album can be found through my flickr, but I linked to some of the herp shots you guys might enjoy the most. I think anyone interested in animals should go to the NT. It's hot, horrible, and a herp's paradise.

In any case, I will upload "field reports" as they happen. I have a trip planned for Costa Rica here in a few months and Arizona come the summer. Should be fun! There's some Bothrops and Crotalids with my name on them. :p

Best,
-Derek


Banded Tree Monitor - V. Scalaris
ImageIMG_3758 by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Northern Water Dragon - Lophognathus sp.
ImageIMG_1082 by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Water Python - Liasis Fuscus
ImageIMG_0545 by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Lesser Black Whip Snake - Demansia Vestigiata
ImageIMG_0262 by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Skink (Unsure?)
ImageIMG_1625 by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Young Agamid (chlamydosaurus?)
ImageIMG_0937 by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Frog (?)
ImageIMG_0315 by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Crocodylus Johnsoni
ImageIMG_0331 by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Crocodylus Porosus
ImageIMG_1238 by Derek Halm, on Flickr


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: An introduction and some shots from the Northern Territo
PostPosted: December 12th, 2015, 11:09 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 12th, 2010, 9:28 am
Posts: 597
Location: Monterey Peninsula, CA
Welcome to the main forum, Derek!

Great photos! My favorites are the Banded Tree Monitor and the agamid attempting to hide. I learned from AnoleAnnals.org that there's an official name for the behavior of lizards (and other animals, presumably) that slowly slide to the far side of the branch to avoid you -- it's called "squirreling".

Your skink looks like a Carlia, I would guess either Carlia gracilis or Carlia rufilatus.

I have visited the Top End once, in mid-November, in an attempt to time it for the very beginning of the Wet, before the real downpours began. What time of year did you visit? I'd love to go back someday.

John


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: An introduction and some shots from the Northern Territo
PostPosted: December 13th, 2015, 7:11 pm 
User avatar

Joined: April 2nd, 2015, 7:30 am
Posts: 132
Location: Utah
Ribbit wrote:
Welcome to the main forum, Derek!

Great photos! My favorites are the Banded Tree Monitor and the agamid attempting to hide. I learned from AnoleAnnals.org that there's an official name for the behavior of lizards (and other animals, presumably) that slowly slide to the far side of the branch to avoid you -- it's called "squirreling".

Your skink looks like a Carlia, I would guess either Carlia gracilis or Carlia rufilatus.

I have visited the Top End once, in mid-November, in an attempt to time it for the very beginning of the Wet, before the real downpours began. What time of year did you visit? I'd love to go back someday.

John


Hey John,

I went in September. There was one major rainfall but beyond that it was hot (95-100) and clear skies every day. I'm going to be going back some time in 2017, probably right after the wet ends. For what it's worth, right in Darwin East Point and Holmes Jungle were *amazing* for herping. The former had a few V. Panopetes--I never could get a pic--and the latter had dozens and dozens of snakes out on any given day. The water python I got the pic of was one I frequently saw. There was a huge olive python there that I never got a clear look at. :p


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: An introduction and some shots from the Northern Territo
PostPosted: December 14th, 2015, 12:35 am 

Joined: May 26th, 2012, 5:44 pm
Posts: 77
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Nice work Derek.

Some help with the ID's. Your Skink is Carlia gracilis, the frog is Litoria rothi, your agamid is Chlamydosaurus kingii and your Northern Water Dragon is Gowidon temporalis.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: An introduction and some shots from the Northern Territo
PostPosted: December 14th, 2015, 5:39 am 
User avatar

Joined: June 12th, 2010, 9:28 am
Posts: 597
Location: Monterey Peninsula, CA
September, interesting. I was trying to time the very beginning of the Wet but that year it started late so we just got the end of the build-up, where it's extremely humid as well as hot. We did visit Holmes Jungle and saw a few lizards and frogs but no snakes.

John


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: An introduction and some shots from the Northern Territo
PostPosted: December 15th, 2015, 11:06 pm 
User avatar

Joined: April 2nd, 2015, 7:30 am
Posts: 132
Location: Utah
Ribbit wrote:
September, interesting. I was trying to time the very beginning of the Wet but that year it started late so we just got the end of the build-up, where it's extremely humid as well as hot. We did visit Holmes Jungle and saw a few lizards and frogs but no snakes.

John


I never saw a single lizard there on my several trips. Maybe it was the time of the year, but I cannot stress how many there were.


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: An introduction and some shots from the Northern Territo
PostPosted: December 16th, 2015, 5:50 am 
User avatar

Joined: June 12th, 2010, 9:28 am
Posts: 597
Location: Monterey Peninsula, CA
Wow, interesting, thanks.

John


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: An introduction and some shots from the Northern Territo
PostPosted: December 16th, 2015, 7:28 am 
User avatar

Joined: April 2nd, 2015, 7:30 am
Posts: 132
Location: Utah
speedy wrote:
Nice work Derek.

Some help with the ID's. Your Skink is Carlia gracilis, the frog is Litoria rothi, your agamid is Chlamydosaurus kingii and your Northern Water Dragon is Gowidon temporalis.


I didn't see this earlier. Thank you for the IDs. I have a book on Australian herp identification, but I found it to be overwhelming when I was in the field. Especially considering in my home state it was easy to identify herps: there was only one extant species of lizard!


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: