Fall/Winter Herps

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Adam Cooner

Fall/Winter Herps

Post by Adam Cooner »

I haven't posted here in a while as I haven't gotten out in the field as much as I'd like. "Work is the curse of the herping classes," to badly paraphrase Oscar Wilde.

I can't remember if I ever shared my Winston County, Alabama, Aneides from late summer, so I'll start there.

ImageGreen Salamander by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

Haley and I went to Charleston, South Carolina, for our honeymoon in September and saw several alligators on our brief hiking excursions.

ImageAmerican Alligator by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

I've been turning up red salamanders fairly frequently this fall.

Here's one from October in Jefferson County, Alabama.

ImageNorthern Red Salamander by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

This one's a Bibb County, Alabama, specimen from late November.

ImageRed Salamander by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

Marbled salamanders are always out in force this time of year. Both of these photos were taken in a small park in Calhoun County, Alabama.

ImageMarbled Salamander Guarding Eggs by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

ImageMarbled Salamander by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

Robb, Chris, and I did manage to align our schedules once this season (so far) and did some herping in Tuskegee National Forest on Thanksgiving weekend. We were targeting Pseudotriton, as both muds and reds have been found in the area. We've all found P. montanus there before but were hoping to do so again while adding P. ruber to our list of finds at this site. The Salamander Gods did not deign to bless us with Pseudotriton, but we made some pretty good finds, considering the short period of time we spent looking.

ImageFour-Toed Salamander by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

ImageMole Salamander by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

I'm still hoping to get the tiger salamander monkey off my back this winter and will likely head back to a smallmouth salamander site for better photos of that rarely-seen Alabama ambystomatid.

As always, thanks for looking!
Tamara D. McConnell

Re: Fall/Winter Herps

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

As always, I love your images, Adam. The green sally and the reds are just gorgeous. I'm jealous of the four-toed, never ever found one.
Tuskegee over Turkey Day weekend sounds awesome...you guys do holidays right.
Barry R

Post by Barry R »

good stuff Adam!
Adam Cooner

Post by Adam Cooner »

Tamara D. McConnell wrote:As always, I love your images, Adam. The green sally and the reds are just gorgeous. I'm jealous of the four-toed, never ever found one.
Tuskegee over Turkey Day weekend sounds awesome...you guys do holidays right.
Thanks, Tamara! You need to pick a time this March or April and head just a little northward. We will take you out and get your four-toed, among other caudates-of-interest.
Adam Cooner

Post by Adam Cooner »

Barry R wrote:good stuff Adam!
Thanks, Barry!
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Thanks, Tamara! You need to pick a time this March or April and head just a little northward. We will take you out and get your four-toed, among other caudates-of-interest.
It is on, bro. April 9-16 is my spring break. Will holler at you again closer to target time regarding a day or 2 or 3. If you can throw a cave sally into the mix, I'd be totally blissed-out.
Ecto Hunter

Post by Ecto Hunter »

Great job of catching the colors and tones of that talpoideum. :beer: