So, I lied...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

mtratcliffe

So, I lied...

Post by mtratcliffe »

Some of you may recall during my Georgia trip report that I had claimed to have taken my last stateside herping excursion before my deployment. Well, that wasn't true. I left Florida for my deployment on the 5th of October, but I had to spend that night in Norfolk, VA. My flight out of Norfolk for my deployed location wasn't until after 2 AM on the 7th, so that left me ALL DAY on the 6th to do whatever. Like any good herper, I can't waste a whole day of good weather in a new location, so I rented a car for the 5th and 6th and made my way to a state park just across the state line in North Carolina that I have wanted to visit for years.

My god, am I glad that I went. That part of NC had been rained on for the past week, and that day was the first nice day in a while. Temps started off cool (low 60s) but reached the low 70s by the end, and the sun was out from about 10 AM onward. It was, without a doubt, one of my best days of herping. Just me, my camera, and some beautiful wilderness in the Atlantic Coastal Plain of the NC. The only disappointing thing about it was that apparently I took most of my photos that day on "Soft" mode with my camera. Not sure how that happened, but my photos have a blurry effect to them as a result. It's kind of enchanting in some of the landscape shots, but also frustrating for the shots where I was hoping to get more focus on herp subjects. So, keep that in mind when you see these photos, and just realize that my camera really does take better shots than that (see my pics from the UAE at the end).

All photos are chronological because I'm too lazy (and pressed for time) to organize them any other way.

Scenery at the pond, which was absolutely teeming with Bald Cypress.

ImageDSCN9646 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9668 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

One of many Cooters seen that day. There's a mix of Northern Redbelly and Eastern River Cooters, I believe. They can be difficult to tell apart without a clear shot of the jawline. If you can ID any, that would be awesome.

ImageDSCN9655 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Lots of Cricket Frogs around the pond edge and in the swamps. I think this one is a Northern Cricket Frog due to the rounded snout and the webbing between the toes.

ImageDSCN9661 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

I was disappointed to have not turned up an Eastern Box Turtle during my trip to MD/DE over the summer, but it wasn't long before I almost stepped on this guy, who was hanging out on a trail. I'm really glad I found it, as it would be my only Eastern Box for the year that wasn't a released pet.

ImageDSCN9669 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9675 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Looks like it might be a male?

ImageDSCN9676 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Green Heron

ImageDSCN9679 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

There were also a lot of Yellow-bellied Sliders at the pond, like this older individual who has lost its neck striping.

ImageDSCN9686 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Spillway

ImageDSCN9689 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Juvenile Slider

ImageDSCN9692 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Another older individual

ImageDSCN9706 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

My guess on this one was a Southern Cricket Frog

ImageDSCN9715 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Another

ImageDSCN9724 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Northern?

ImageDSCN9727 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

More Sliders

ImageDSCN9735 - Sliders by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Mix of Cooters and Sliders

ImageDSCN9698 - Cooters and Sliders by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

I don't like Sliders as much, but this one was impressive

ImageDSCN9736 - Slider by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Everywhere I looked, I was turning up herps, including the Green Treefrog hiding in a tree

ImageDSCN9743 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Now, here's a snake that I (surprisingly) haven't seen since I was much younger. Northern Rough Greensnake - very gentle snakes, even though they have a pungent musk. I found this one basking on top of a trashcan at a trailhead, and was very thrilled to spot it. I remember finding these in my neighborhood as a kid, and even in my front yard. This find had been such a long time coming!

ImageDSCN9746 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9749 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9751 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

After spending the morning hiking, I went back to the park headquarters to rent a kayak for two hours so that I could explore the pond. By the time I returned, the Green Treefrogs were out in force on the windows.

ImageDSCN9760 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9765 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9766 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9767 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

I spent about two hours on the pond in the kayak, and even then, I didn't get to see the whole place. The cypress trees gave the pond a labyrinthine flair, as it was nearly impossible to see from one side to the other. Nor was I ever entirely sure whether I was looking at the main shoreline or just a small island/cluster of trees. Fortunately there were buoys to guide me, but even then, finding them wasn't easy. Lots of turtles were out at this point as it was warming up with partly cloudy skies. I was hoping to turn up an Alligator or two, but I struck out there. This pond has the distinction of being the northernmost location where Alligators are naturally found year-round, and seeing one would have been special. Maybe next time!

Slider

ImageDSCN9772 - Cooter by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Sliders and Cooters

ImageDSCN9770 - Sliders and Cooters by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

I would have loved to seen this trees later in Autumn

ImageDSCN9776 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

River Cooter

ImageDSCN9778 - Cooter by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9782 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

A whole mess of Sliders - they slid away before I could get too close. There were more than what's pictured here.

ImageDSCN9791 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Slider

ImageDSCN9811 - Slider by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

There were plenty more turtles that I saw, but I don't have time to post all of those photos. I returned from my paddle, and hopped in my car to drive about .25 miles to another trailhead. I had to take a short road out of the park to the local County Road to get there, and before leaving that road I saw a suspicious figure lying out in the middle of the road. I excitedly hopped out of the car and turned up my final snake of the year, and a lifer at that - a Northern Black Racer!

ImageDSCN9834 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Unlike every other racer I've encountered, this one was very lethargic and didn't even attempt to escape or bite me when I moved it off the road. It was clearly trying to warm itself up on the road, but I hope it wasn't emaciated or anything. I will probably never encounter another racer as docile as that one.

ImageDSCN9836 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

And now, for the best part of my day. I was happy with my finds so far - lots of turtles, a few frogs, and some snakes I hadn't turned up in a while (or ever). At this point, I was really wanting to find a lizard to balance things out, but I did one better.

This view, my friends, is the beginning of the Path to Glory.

ImageDSCN9841 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

What "Glory", you ask? Salamanders. A log-flipping bonanza of Salamanders. Little did I know when I flipped this Atlantic Slimy Salamander (lifer) that I was about to hit jackpot, flipping a sally under about every third log I checked. The rains from the previous days created a lot of moisture under these surfaces, and the cooler temps really brought the sallies out. In the course of the next hour, I would more than triple my lifetime Salamander sightings. Yes, that is as pathetic as it sounds. I can specifically only recall two Salamander sightings in my life prior to that day, though I'm sure I had seen a couple others at some point that I can't recall.

ImageDSCN9843 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Slimy Salamanders are true to their name. I did my best to minimize touch time. All the sallies pictured are either Atlantic Coast Slimies or Eastern Red-backed Salamanders.

ImageDSCN9848 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9852 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9857 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

It took a second to realize this one was not a worm

ImageDSCN9860 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9869 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9871 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9878 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9886 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9894 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9907 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9909 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9910 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

In all, I believe I saw five Atlantic Coast Slimy Salamanders and four Eatern Red-backed Salamanders. The latter are becoming my fast favorites, though I get the impression that they are fairly common. Still, I couldn't have dreamed of a flipping session like that one.

This Green Treefrog is significant, as it is my last North American herp find of 2015. Godspeed, little one.

ImageDSCN9913 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

However, it was not my last herp find of 2015, as I have turned up two species of lizards out here in the UAE! The herping is slow out here, as there just isn't much wildlife to find. But geckos can be found at night in some spots, though they aren't as abundant where I am as you might think.

Rough-tailed Gecko

ImageDSCN0220 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

See? This is what my camera is capable of when it's not on "Soft" mode...

ImageDSCN0222 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

A young Arabian Red Fox

ImageDSCN9997 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0004 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

White-eared Bulbul

ImageDSCN0010 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Western Reef Heron

ImageDSCN0018 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Bosk's Fringe-toed Lizards extracting water from discarded fruit. I'm going to have to remember that trick...

ImageDSCN9981 - Bosks Fringe-toed Lizard (Acanthodactylus boskianus) by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9983 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN9987 by Matthew Ratcliffe, on Flickr

That's all for now! I am doing well out here, and staying very busy. I hope to get some dedicated herping in on a day off, but we'll see. At this point, just finding a snake, any snake, would make me happy for a few weeks. I hope the herping is still good in the Southeast!

- Matt
JakeScott

Re: So, I lied...

Post by JakeScott »

Awesome stuff, Matt!

The Coastal Plain is a fun place to herp. While redbacks are a common species, that doesn't take away from their coolness.

That racer doesn't look to be in very good shape. Are you sure he wasn't hit?

The photo of the fox is really fantastic, too btw.

Stay safe out there, and looking forward to more photos from the UAE!

-Jake
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Glad to know things are going well and all is safe. I'm also waiting to see more from the UAE, herp or not. I really like the fox too!
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

JakeScott wrote:Awesome stuff, Matt!

The Coastal Plain is a fun place to herp. While redbacks are a common species, that doesn't take away from their coolness.

That racer doesn't look to be in very good shape. Are you sure he wasn't hit?

The photo of the fox is really fantastic, too btw.

Stay safe out there, and looking forward to more photos from the UAE!

-Jake
Thanks Jake! I agree that the racer looks defeated. I did take more shots of its body than what was shown (including of its ventral side), but there were no signs of any damage. I'm not sure what was going on with it.
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »