Midwest herper visiting northwest

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Tuataurifer

Midwest herper visiting northwest

Post by Tuataurifer »

hey guys,

Justin from St. Louis here. I will be visiting the Olympic national park area next month for a wedding. My understanding is despite the cool temps of winter I should be able to turn up a few species to add to my life list? Id love to see the awesome amphibians you guys have, Ascaphus, Dicamps and Aneides are all god tier herps to me. If anyone from the area would like to play tour guide for half a day or so id be SUPER grateful and get the bill for gas, lunch, and leave you a bottle of your favorite spirit(some Midwestern hospitality). Fell free to message me on here or hit me up on facebook (Justin Elden). Any tips are appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!!
-Justin
AndyKraemer

Re: Midwest herper visiting northwest

Post by AndyKraemer »

Hello Justin,

Unfortunately I can't help you, but good luck! Let us know what you find!

Cheers,
Andy
sonora

Post by sonora »

Hi Justin,
You should have very little problem finding Rhyacotriton and Dicamptodon in any of the older growth forest streams/creeks/seeps. Ascaphus and Plethodon vehiculum should be fairly easy as well. Plethodon vandykei can be found year round as well, but are a little more difficult to "stumble" upon and many of the forest service roads that lead to their habitat are closed in winter (Nov-March).
Steve
Hadar

Post by Hadar »

Hey Justin,

Olympic NP is amazing! You will have an incredible time. The great thing about amphibs is that they don't need it to be warm so you can herp for them year round. You shouldn't have any issues finding Ascaphus, Dicamps and Aneides. For the Ascaphus and Dicamps look around pools in small streams. If you an interested in Rhyacotriton olympicus, check Hoh Rainforest. Olympic NP is quite large so your success will depend on how much time you have and how much ground you can cover. I would love to show you around but I live in Oregon, 5 hours south of Olympic NP. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. Have a wonderful time!

P.S. I'm glad to see another Midwestern out here.

Cheers, Heather
sonora

Post by sonora »

Aneides does not occur in WA.
Steve