2015 in the New York State (Pic Heavy!)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

NewYorkHerper16

2015 in the New York State (Pic Heavy!)

Post by NewYorkHerper16 »

intermedius

Re: 2015 in the New York State (Pic Heavy!)

Post by intermedius »

I thoroughly enjoyed.

Your Desmognathus sp. is an ochrophaeus.

- Justin
NewYorkHerper16

Thanks Justin! For whatever reason i have trouble with Desmognathus. I guess its because i dont have much experience with them compared with others, since we dont have them on Long Island. The primary ID characteristics are a more rounded tail (or is that fuscus, or maybe i'm just making that up entirely lol) and chevron pattern on the dorsum, correct? Luckily we have just two species of Desmogs here, i dont know what I would do if went to western NC or east TN! Desmog overload!

Thanks again, i really appreciate it!

-Alex
reptologist

Post by reptologist »

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.
NewYorkHerper16

Thanks reptologist!
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Great images Alex! That first image of the E. Milk is super good. Specimen with lots of white and I don't think I see that much. Are Italian Wall Lizards common up there? They are also in northern KY along the Ohio River. Loved the Redback Salamander shot - really pretty.

Dave
NewYorkHerper16

Thanks Dave! The milks we get up here are gorgeous, especially as juveniles! Italian Wall Lizards are very common here, especially in the suburbs of Long Island. They are also found in some parts of New York City too, which is pretty amazing! Very adaptive little critters! That's very interesting that they are found in KY too, I know they're in CA, KS, CT, PA, and OH, but never heard of them from KY until now. It's amazing how successful they are! Even though they aren't native, I'm fond of these wall lizards. This is the only lizard we have on Long Island, and they don't seem to have any noticeable negative impacts on native wildlife (so far, that is). In fact, I have seen several photos of kestrels and merlins preying on them! So of course it isn't ideal to have a non-native herp running around, but in the case of Long Island, they seem to be very benign!

-Alex
Porter

Post by Porter »

:thumb: :thumb: nice photog. and morph Owl. How common are those out there...? I really like that snapper with the backdrop, long island reflection, and the red eft. We used to have Eastern Newts in the pet stores on the west coast when I was a kid.
NewYorkHerper16

Thanks Porter! The screech owls are pretty common here, and the red and grey morphs seem to occur with about the same frequency, as far as i can tell.
Eastern newts are extremely common here! I've always felt that if the efts were rare they would be at the top of every herper's list! Since they are so abundant, though, many times it's easy to simply move on and not pay much attention to them. It just shows how much a lot of us take such a beautiful species for granted here!