Herping New Zealand?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

MonarchzMan

Herping New Zealand?

Post by MonarchzMan »

I know it's not exactly the herp hotspot of the world, but I'm going to be going to Australia for 4-6 months starting in January, and while I'm there, I'd like to hop over to New Zealand for a little bit. Primarily, I'm interested in seeing wild tuatara (which from the looks of it, there are a couple of islands where you can visit and see them), but if I have opportunity, I'd like to look for other herps as well (and if I can knock off a kiwi too, all the better!).

At this point, everything is completely tentative, so I'm open to anything, but I've been looking at maybe flying into Wellington since there's an island in the bay there with tuatara that tourists can access. Does anyone else have any suggestions on where else might be good to herp (or for scenery?)?
simus343

Re: Herping New Zealand?

Post by simus343 »

While you're in Australia, will you be visiting any of the coastal islands on the east coast? When I went to Moreton island they had Kiwi's there too - just in case you can't find any in NZ for whatever reason. I seem to recall seeing a majority of the kiwis on Moreton at and just after dusk, running in resort fields on the edge of the forests.

As far as herping in NZ, I'm not aware of much there besides the Tuatara and a few gecko species. One of my friends that lives in Papamoa told me of a reptile park somewhere in NZ, but I don't recall where.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

I have some Kiwi friends working for DOC who might be able to steer you right, if your plans firm up. However, I hasten to add, the general attitude of the NZ authorities to interacting with their native herps is, "don't touch 'em", Absolutely.

cheers
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

simus343 wrote:While you're in Australia, will you be visiting any of the coastal islands on the east coast? When I went to Moreton island they had Kiwi's there too - just in case you can't find any in NZ for whatever reason. I seem to recall seeing a majority of the kiwis on Moreton at and just after dusk, running in resort fields on the edge of the forests.
I didn't realize there were kiwis on the islands there. Are you sure they were kiwis and not scrubfowl?

My plans are all very tentative right now. I'll probably largely be based out of Sydney, but I'm hoping I can travel much of the east coast and, if possible, get into the interior (gotta find a Moloch!) and west coast.
As far as herping in NZ, I'm not aware of much there besides the Tuatara and a few gecko species. One of my friends that lives in Papamoa told me of a reptile park somewhere in NZ, but I don't recall where.
Reptile Database says there's 71 reptiles found in NZ (including the oceanics) and AmphibiaWeb says 7 species of frogs, so it seems like there's a decent number to be found!
Jimi wrote:I have some Kiwi friends working for DOC who might be able to steer you right, if your plans firm up. However, I hasten to add, the general attitude of the NZ authorities to interacting with their native herps is, "don't touch 'em", Absolutely.
Good to know. I know some researchers who have worked on tuatara (and geckos for that matter) in NZ. I'm hoping I can find some current researchers that I can go out with. But good to know they're protective of their herps!
simus343

Post by simus343 »

Yes to the Kiwis on Moreton Island, at least according to the park rangers on the island. They also said that they were invasive there and that they were not sure how they got there.

We were told that if they were seen, they were also to be left unbothered. I'm not positive, but I think my mom took a photograph or two and has hard copy photos stashed away somewhere.

Also to add to what Jimi said, NZ officials are very uptight about just looking according to my pals on Papamoa - particularly on the Tuatara - I seem to recall reading a minimum distance regulation somewhere. In Australia, all wildlife is protected, however in my experience they seem to be okay with interacting with lizards and common pythons (such as carpets/diamonds) so long as you put them back where you found them.
speedy

Post by speedy »

Just for the record there are no kiwis on any Australian Islands. I can't really help with NZ herps, but there are some great geckos there.
chrish

Post by chrish »

I've made many trips to New Zealand an in all that time I've only ever seen a few skinks and an introduced frog. It is tough herping. I have talked to a local researcher about how to find Naultinus and other geckos and have searched the right kinds of trees many, many, many times in areas that have them without success.

AFAIK, the Islands the Tuatara occur on are inaccessible except by permit. Your best chance is to find a research group going to one of the islands and get permission to go with them. You can't land a boat on those islands without a permit.

Kiwis are generally nocturnal and difficult to see without spending the night in one of the closed reserves or islands on which they occur. Many people "count" kiwis by hearing them call at night. In the far south (Stewart Island) they can be seen in the day and there are trips at night to see an area where they feed on the beach.

Penguins are a lot easier to see in NZ. Try focusing on those.

To be honest, if you are going to NZ to see Tuataras, you are pretty guaranteed of failure unless you set up an expedition with a research group or someone from the Department of Conservation. I don't know anything about how to do that, I've just always assumed it was tough. You can see one of the introduced population of Tuatara on Matui/Somes island in Wellington harbor but I'm not sure how you might "count" an introduced population of Tuataras?

Sorry to be a downer, but for the price you would spend going to NZ, but you might consider going to a separate region in Australia or even going to Fiji to look for the Iguanas rather than NZ. NZ is spectacular for birds though, particularly pelagic birding.
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

Thanks for the advice! I know a researcher who has done some work on tutes in the past and might know who to contact. I was thinking of the population on Matui Somes Island if I couldn't find someone to go with. They may be introduced, but they were historically there before being extirpated due to introduced predators.

I'd go to NZ for the scenery, mostly, but if I can herp or bird while I'm there, all the better. I may look into Fiji. I hadn't thought about that, but it could be an option. I thought about New Caledonia as well. All still quite tentative, but I've repeatedly been told I need to get to NZ if I'm in Australia (in fact, that's the most common question when I tell people I'm going to Australia, "are you going to NZ?"). But if plans go well, I should be seeing much of Oz (hopefully most of the east coast, WA and Alice Springs). I'd love to get up to far north Queensland or the Kimberley or Darwin, but those may be tougher.