Caught a Coral in Austin today

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

NorCalRon

Caught a Coral in Austin today

Post by NorCalRon »

Got a call from a resident of Bee Caves TX today saying she had a Coral snake in her swimming pool. This was a first for me, so pretty excited to catch one. Moved to Austin 6 months ago, already tons of snake encounters.

This guy is about 22" long. Very quick snake, surprisingly so. Hooked him out of the water and set him on the grass, and just about lost him as he dove under the thatch. Took a strong steady pull to get him back out. He also exhibited an interesting (defense?) behavior where he flattened his tail and made it look almost like his head end. Seems like a super-smart snake.

I've got him in a temp tub while I figure out what to do with him. Is there anything creative like a zoo or anti-venin lab that wants these? Austin Zoo doesn't keep hots.

If anyone wants to go herping in Austin, especially on the west side around Lake Travis, PM me. I'm a veterinarian and really enjoy field trips.

ps. I was golfing when I got the call, so don't give me a hard time about my field outfit. :)

AndyKraemer

Re: Caught a Coral in Austin today

Post by AndyKraemer »

Well ain't she a beaut'! Nice catch.
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Austin Reptile service: Tim will know where to send it.
UTA is always looking for specimens as well.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Coralsnakes are pretty common in Central Texas, particularly around this time of year. I would probably just release it near where you found it.