San Francisco Bay Area Salamanders

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Zach_Lim

San Francisco Bay Area Salamanders

Post by Zach_Lim »

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing well. To begin, my condolences to Kent's family and friends. I never met him but respected him a lot.

I haven't really been posting much, as I have been busy with work and getting ready to fly out to Toronto this week for a few days to play a punk festival. I was able to get out into the mountains and creek walk this past weekend with some great results! I have come to realize that salamanders are now my favorite herps to search for and photograph- their habitat is stunning, generally cool and comfortable (for me), they make fantastic photo subjects, they are under-rated, there is generally no "drama" when it comes to them (unlike snake people haha), and my girlfriend finds them adorable (as do I)!

I recently picked up a 100mm Macro lens and have been practicing.

California Newt

Yellow-eyed Ensatina

Santa Cruz Black Salamander

Arboreal Salamander

Some inverts of interest-

Giant Water Bug

*Largest I have ever seen and it climbed into my palm after I flipped it, so I figured, a quick in hand was possible! :/

California Banana Slug

Vivid Dancer Damselfly

Thanks for looking, everyone! I really got into bettering my photography this year after being introduced to Instagram and seeing amazing photographs from all walks of life. I really hope to continue learning and bettering my hobby!

-Zach
Fieldnotes

Re: San Francisco Bay Area Salamanders

Post by Fieldnotes »

Holy Cow, that is a huge Water Bug. I never imagined they got that size, without the in hand shot, it would have just appeared as an typical waterbug. Good ID to get that in hand shot.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Yeah, that water bug man. Crazy huge!
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Great shots Zach!! Yes, salamanders are now becoming my favorite herp (behind turtles) to photo op. That waterbug is on steroids.

Dave
pjfishpa

Post by pjfishpa »

Agreed! I loved flipping rocks and logs as a kid and still do to this day! Nice pics man.
Kyle from Carolina

Post by Kyle from Carolina »

Cool manders. I never really think of salamanders when I think of the bay area. Nice to see a good representation. That arboreal salamander is awesome. The Lethocerus reminds me of all the times I've had to fish them out of my minnow traps when they wouldn't want to let go but I didn't want to touch them. Those things give me the willies like I imagine snakes do to non-herp folk. Such awesome predators.