Some Bay Area Salamanders from this weekend

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Zach_Lim

Some Bay Area Salamanders from this weekend

Post by Zach_Lim »

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing well. To begin, my condolences to Kent's family and friends. I never met him but respected him a lot.

I haven't really been posting much, as I have been busy with work and getting ready to fly out to Toronto this week for a few days to play a punk festival. I was able to get out into the mountains and creek walk this past weekend with some great results! I have come to realize that salamanders are now my favorite herps to search for and photograph- their habitat is stunning, generally cool and comfortable (for me), they make fantastic photo subjects, they are under-rated, there is generally no "drama" when it comes to them (unlike snake people haha), and my girlfriend finds them adorable (as do I)!

I recently picked up a 100mm Macro lens and have been practicing.

California Newt

Yellow-eyed Ensatina

Santa Cruz Black Salamander

Arboreal Salamander

Some inverts of interest-

Giant Water Bug

*Largest I have ever seen and it climbed into my palm after I flipped it, so I figured, a quick in hand was possible! :/

California Banana Slug

Vivid Dancer Damselfly

Thanks for looking, everyone! I really got into bettering my photography this year after being introduced to Instagram and seeing amazing photographs from all walks of life. I really hope to continue learning and bettering my hobby!

-Zach
Porter

Re: Some Bay Area Salamanders from this weekend

Post by Porter »

Nice :thumb: thats awesome you got a mac! Im checkin em out on my phone right now. I like that 1st shot of the Arboreal and the huge herp eating water demon. Also, the prtrait of the banana slug. Cool to see all the detail and color on those things. Lets hit the field
yolodave

Post by yolodave »

I think you got an album cover there with that damselfly Zach.

Dave
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

Why are you holding a Lethocerus?? :crazyeyes: Them things bite hard! :lol:

I'm really liking your macro work, Zach. Very, very nice! I especially like that A. lugubris with it's chin in the air.
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

That Damselfly looks like it was coming to get you, and I agree with Dave, that would be an awesome album cover.
\
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Great photos, Zach! West Coast salamanders are on my short list of things to see; I want to work on my eastern life list, too.

I found a juvenile water bug living in a "pool" in ATV tracks, along with a bunch of tadpoles and a juvie nerodia.

ImageDSCN5918 by Andrea, on Flickr
JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN »

Excellent photography, Zach. That waterbug is imposing!

JimM