Toronto, Ontario, Canada Herpers!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Zach_Lim

Toronto, Ontario, Canada Herpers!

Post by Zach_Lim »

Hello!

My name is Zach and I am a California Chapter regular here on the Forum. My band Scalped (http://www.scalped415.bandcamp.com) will be playing Not Dead Yet Fest in Toronto from Oct 22-25 (I will be there from the 23rd to the 25th- playing Saturday) and I was hoping to get some herping in!

With the help of some herpers on Instagram, I was able to narrow down some spots semi-close to where the venues/place I am staying will be. This may be too specific, but the parks/areas of green that I see that are somewhat close to where I need to be are High Park and (1 hour away) Rouge Park.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips? Anything would be great to see (especially Dekay's Snake)! Are there any urbanized herps closer to the "city" that may be easier (and cheaper- I would be taking a taxi) to find?

Anyone want to meet up? I can pay gas and buy food/beer/drinks!

You can check out my photos on http://www.zacharge.tumblr.com and on Instagram @zacharge

Here are some herps that may be familiar - all found during my band's USA Tour this past summer.

Thank you!

-Zach

NACairns

Re: Toronto, Ontario, Canada Herpers!

Post by NACairns »

Which direction are you headed after Toronto? I'm in Kingston (~2.5 hours east).

Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Unfortunately, come Sunday morning, I'll be on a flight back to San Francisco!

ahockenberry

Post by ahockenberry »

Zach
Well - it may be challenging this time of year - it is already fairly cold and we just received a pretty substantial amount of rain.
High Park is a city park and I would not expect to find much there - any other locals feel free to correct me.
Okay Rouge Park is a decent place and has a nice trail - I have seen Northern Redbelly Snakes there. You may also run into a Garter Snake. American Toad is there and Gray Tree Frogs. Also Northern Leopard Frogs. Dekay Snakes are a bit of a rarity around here. You can PM me for more info
Ashley

Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

So I was able to get out for about 5 hours close to hotel I was staying. The oak savannah habitat that I helped and hiked was gorgeous and seeing the changing leaves was enough for me! I did manage one herp in Toronto, a Red-backed Salamander!

DarwinsBulldog

Post by DarwinsBulldog »

Hey thats awesome you saw all your herps on tour? Who were you playing with? It rules to see another dude involved in the HC, Metal, Punk or Oi scene out there herping like that! I am from upstate NY, your band ever make it out to the north east coast? You into any bands from Albany or Troy NY? A good buddy of mine runs Closed Casket records out there also. You might be into some of his bands. But again congrats for getting out in the field while on tour.

Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

DarwinsBulldog wrote:Hey thats awesome you saw all your herps on tour? Who were you playing with? It rules to see another dude involved in the HC, Metal, Punk or Oi scene out there herping like that! I am from upstate NY, your band ever make it out to the north east coast? You into any bands from Albany or Troy NY? A good buddy of mine runs Closed Casket records out there also. You might be into some of his bands. But again congrats for getting out in the field while on tour.
I actually saw quite a few Herps during our full USA tour this summer! Was great to get some herping time in between all the shows.

Yup, it's always great to meet fellow herpers into hardcore punk and oi (my two favorites!).

We played Brooklyn with some great oi bands- No Parole and The Brass. I'm really into some Closed Casket bands, especially Incendiary.

Let's keep in contact!