Redwood National Park October 17-19th

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Hadar

Redwood National Park October 17-19th

Post by Hadar »

Hey Californians!

I'm thinking of heading down to Redwood National Park this weekend with another FHF member, JP (from Mississippi via Michigan). Have any of you herped the area this time of the year? Any tips or warnings? Last time I was down that way was in the spring but I'm planning on leaving the PNW in the next 6 months so I'm trying to fit in some last minute herping.

Cheers, Heather
Porter

Re: Redwood National Park October 17-19th

Post by Porter »

Try to contact Natalie Mcnear. She may still live up there and if she hasn't been to that particilar park, she could give you advice on where to go. Might even hit the field with ya. Good herper, good person. She should be in the FHF ditectory
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Where are you camping staying near? nearly everything can be found, especially terrestrial Dicamptodon. They are extremely common in autumn and can outnumber the combined discovery of Batrachoseps and Ensatina. Do you have some target species in mind?
Hadar

Post by Hadar »

Porter wrote:Try to contact Natalie Mcnear. She may still live up there and if she hasn't been to that particilar park, she could give you advice on where to go. Might even hit the field with ya. Good herper, good person. She should be in the FHF ditectory
Natalie is awesome but she is going to be in Canada while I'm there.
Hadar

Post by Hadar »

Fieldnotes wrote:Where are you camping staying near? nearly everything can be found, especially terrestrial Dicamptodon. They are extremely common in autumn and can outnumber the combined discovery of Batrachoseps and Ensatina. Do you have some target species in mind?
This is my post from last time http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =8&t=22005. We are targeting the Jedediah Smith State Park area. I'm happy to see anything new but if not it is a beautiful place to be. Last time we saw Dicamptodon, Batrachoseps, Ensatina, and Ascaphus truei.
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Jedediah Smith is one of my favorite places to herp, especially for salamanders. I haven't been watching the weather for Del Norte County, but i imagine they have got some rain. If you don't already have plans to night search, do so, and put it high on your list of "to do's"; Giants, Tailed Frogs, Enstatina, and nearly everything can be found by exploring creeks at night. That is one of my favorite things to do there, and its even better when its raining. Don't forget to flip bark and flat lumber at abandoned clear-cuts, especially those surrounded by dark, dense forests, they can be extremely productive. Good luck, im sure you'll be seeing a lot of cool stuff.
AndyKraemer

Post by AndyKraemer »

I agree with the above comment by Fieldnotes. I was in the area a couple months ago (I know, not the best time to herp the region) and found the most diversity in and around Jedediah. I'm sure you'll have tons of fun! Let us know what you find!
corey.raimond

Post by corey.raimond »

Riding the coattails here but I am planning on going to the same general area around Christmas. I have yet to visit California or see most of the amphibians in that occur in the area. Let me know if anyone would like to meet up or has advice on best places to camp etc.

:beer:

-Corey
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Christmas is a good time for exploring the Redwoods. Being next to the coast, the low elevation forests never get too cold and by December everything is usually soaked. You should be able to find pretty much everything you'd like, minus some reptiles.