Snake ID, please (Papua mountains)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Snake ID, please (Papua mountains)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Hi all,

I was asked by a friend to help him ID this snake. He photographed it in the remote mountains of central Papua (Indonesian
side), around 1000m elevation. Off the cuff, I'd say Lycodon sp., but in those strange worlds east of the Wallace Line few things are ever what they seem ...

Thanks very much in advance for your kind help!

Hans

Paul Freed

Re: Snake ID, please (Papua mountains)

Post by Paul Freed »

Hans,
Although it superficially looks like it, Lycodon does not occur in New Guinea. I believe that this is one of the 'Ground' Snakes in the genus Stegonotus, possibly S. guentheri or S. modestus.
-Paul
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Thank you, Paul!
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

Fantastic photograph, first of all!

I think this is Stegonotus diehli

- Justin
Paul Freed

Post by Paul Freed »

I don't see any apical pits on the scales of the anterior region of the tail so I don't believe this is S. diehli. The photo does not show close-up detail of the body scales to determine if apical pits are present there. Perhaps if Mr. Lee has a clear photo of the dorsal scales it can be determined if apical pits are present, thus making this S. diehli.
-Paul
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

After looking at some guides, I agree that it might not be S. diehli. I counted the upper labial scales and it looks like there are eight with the fourth and the fifth labial are in contact with the eye. Usually with diehli, modestus and guentheri, they have seven upper labials with the third and fourth in contact with the eye. Also it appears guentheri is absent from mainland New Guinea, and is endemic to a few offshore islands on the Papuan side.

So it could be Stegonotus parvus, which has eight labials with 4-5 contacting the eye and no apical pits. It is also known to occur around Irian Jaya.

Knowing the number of dorsal scales midbody and if apical pits are present on the rest of the body would confirm the identification between parvus and diehli and modestus.

- Justin