Fieldnotes

Re: Has anyone seen one of these before? ...possible hybrid

Post by Fieldnotes »

That is Stebbins' Ensatina drawing from his field guides... :crazyeyes:
Porter

Post by Porter »

Steve Bledsoe wrote:it's a common salamonitor. :D
Fieldnotes wrote:That is Stebbins' Ensatina drawing from his field guides... :crazyeyes:
:thumb:

On second thought... maybe it's just an entergrade. Or rather, a DO-NOT-ENTERgrade :lol:
nightdriver

Post by nightdriver »

And here I thought it was a plain old salarmander :roll:
Gary N

Post by Gary N »

"Sorry boss, we told the designers to use a picture of a monitor lizard but they screwed up."
Porter

Post by Porter »

Apparently Google was fresh outta monitor lizard photos that day... :)
Porter

Post by Porter »

So, i put some more thought into... trying to make some sensible connection with how someone chose a salamander as a monitor lizard icon. considering, that maybe it wasn't a lack of proper information, but actually more in-depth... cuz I don't know how anybody could get that mixed up unless they're thinking four legs tail no hair equals lizard... Lol which I have actually seen and heard people make such a vague connections. I'm sure we all have. .I remember seeing a photo on the Internet of an entertainer brooding eggs. then I thought okay, maybe the alarm system could be thought of as protecting someone like a salamander might protect her eggs out of mothering nature. it does look like a lungless salamander of some kind and definitely like the ensatina from Stebins. maybe the person who came up with the logo is a field herper or possibly married to one... either way, I thought it would make for a good discussion.Has it been proven scientifically that salamanders watch over their young like birds watch over their eggs or is that just theory/ speculation?
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

The answer is simple ....... Alcohol!

I decided to have some fun this morning and email R. B. Enterprises / dba Security Products Inc, (Restaurant Security.com) and ask out of curiosity, why they chose to use the image of a salamander on their Monitor 4000 product.
Here's the reply I received:

"Steve-
My boss says he was drunk at the time he picked it out and it kinda stuck.
Our customers refer to it as the gecko, lizard, gator, crocodile, newt etc.
If you have any more appropriate images he would appreciate you sending them over

Thanks-
Emily Beach"

Explains a lot - pretty funny!
So if you guys have any monitor images, here's your chance at stardom and fame!! :lol:
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

lol I'm glad that you took it upon yourself to contact them … that's funny in itself :lol:
I bout near died when I read their response… classic!

Good stuff, Steve!
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

Porter wrote:I remember seeing a photo on the Internet of an entertainer brooding eggs. then I thought okay, maybe the alarm system could be thought of as protecting someone like a salamander might protect her eggs out of mothering nature. it does look like a lungless salamander of some kind and definitely like the ensatina from Stebins. maybe the person who came up with the logo is a field herper or possibly married to one... either way, I thought it would make for a good discussion.Has it been proven scientifically that salamanders watch over their young like birds watch over their eggs or is that just theory/ speculation?
I believe that all of our Lungless Salamanders brood their eggs, so… I guess, to a salamander enthusiast, using a Plethodontid as an icon of security and protection would seem quite legit. Personally, I prefer the salamander to a monitor lizard… 'mander's got that 'x-factor'. Plus, that's a pretty funny drunk-story behind that logo.
Porter

Post by Porter »

When i read this this morning, i burst into laughter 3 times on the drive to work, as i thought more about the factors surrounding this and as more and more sunk in...lol drunk? Hey, we all been there :lol: drinking and salamander icons are something i know all too well... :lol: not anymore tho 8-) so, then i thought...well, it must be up to me to fix thid guys logo, free of charge. Seemed meant to be.... now after reading gaters take on this...im thinking the same. What a great accidental moment of clearity and truth. I too believe they brood there nest. Seems obvious. What a great oportunity of spreading awareness aboit these hidden little earthlings :thumb:

Steve, did you by chance explain to him the salamander monitoring their eggs concept?

...in case the guy happens to read this. Us herpers show our respect with a ... :beer:

And cheers to you Steve for taking action :beer: awesome stuff
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

Thanks guys

No, I didn't mention anything about mothering sallies. Actually, I know less than nothing about gummy lizards, so the mothering thing was all new to me. Everything I know about it I learned right here on this educational thread! :lol:

I was really surprised to get a reply from my inquiry, and let lovely Emily know it. I thought her boss' invitation to send him a good image or two was also very cool. I told her that I didn't have any monitor images, but there were plenty on the internet. All they need is the image owner's permission to use them.

It would be really cool if one of you guys sent them a monitor image or two if you have any.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

maybe hatchling monitors... so they'd be baby monitors... :)
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

hellihooks wrote:maybe hatchling monitors... so they'd be baby monitors... :)
LMAO :lol:
Good one, Helli
I was wondering yesterday if you had seen this thread yet, because I knew, of all people, you would really have some fun with it.
Porter

Post by Porter »

hellihooks wrote:maybe hatchling monitors... so they'd be baby monitors... :)
:lol: :thumb:

I found the photos I was referring to. I think I may have originally seen them on a FHF post...maybe calherps, not sure. They clearly display the mothering ensatina watching over her young through the stages of development.

http://www.californiaherps.com/salamand ... ptica.html

Ode to calherps :beer:

Helli's baby monitor joke supports the end Satina Perspective as well lol :crazyeyes:
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

These people have a very healthy sense of humor.
Emily at Restaurant Security sent me this photo of the T-shirts they wear at trade shows.
She thought we'd get a kick out of it! :thumb:

How many would you like to order?

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

you guys are Klaubering it... :crazyeyes: love the puns, Richard... :thumb:
Porter

Post by Porter »

No reason to get alarmed ladies!... I'm sure he is only interested in your bread ;)
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

The coincidental truth linking Porter's pun is remarkable! :crazyeyes:

Here's what Emily told me in an email regarding the inspiration behind the invention of the product ......

"The alarm unit itself was invented by my boss after he was robbed through his restaurant receiving door on Easter Sunday. His employees had left the back kitchen door open to get some air and an armed assailant found it the perfect opportunity to relieve them of the money for Friday, Saturday and Sunday as they had not dropped their deposit at the bank."
JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN »

I just had to drop by and say that this is probably one of the more enjoyable threads I've run across in awhile. I don't have anything to add, though, except for this:

http://www.californiaherps.com/salamand ... vj3102.jpg

:beer:
JimM