Who on the forum would you most like to meet in person...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Tim Borski

Who on the forum would you most like to meet in person...

Post by Tim Borski »

I've been thinking about this for about ten minutes. And have some time while paint dries outside in the sun down here in far south FL. I've been on here from pre-crash (2010.) Many have visited, stayed/ visited, left over that period. If you had 3 people on here you'd like to meet in person someday who would they be? (It doesn't matter if you join them for a burger, vegan or herping.)

Here's 3 off the top of my head:

Jimi (Jmaughn)
Kelly (KellyMc)
Klawnskale

They've all, whether they know it or not,
helped me out indirectly.

Thanks to you three. There are many more, but like I said...I've only been thinking about this for about 10 minutes.

Tim
justinm

Re: Who on the forum would you most like to meet in person..

Post by justinm »

I would like to finally meet Kyle Loucks, Tim Borski, and Dell Despain.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Kyle Loucks is a good one, the other two I'm not so sure of...
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Kelly Mc, Jim Maughn, Kyle Loucks
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Tim Borski, my hand involuntarily went up to my heart as I read your post. :o

I would like to meet Klawnskale and Jimi too! I have actually imagined meeting many of the people here, like Tamara and Justin and what we would talk about and where we would be.

Probably out lookin :thumb:
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Cole Grover, Natalie McNear and Brian Hinds come to mind also. Anybody else have another member here they'd like to meet down the road at some point?

Tim
justinm

Post by justinm »

Tim Borski wrote:Cole Grover, Natalie McNear and Brian Hinds come to mind also. Anybody else have another member here they'd like to meet down the road at some point?

Tim
I agree with these suggestions and Kelly MC, but there's so many of you I admire.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Id like to meet all the Crote guys, especially Bryan Hamilton, and would carry gear for Hans any day.

And Justin I admired you even when you kinda scared me. :D
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Haha interesting idea for a thread. I'll play...

While I doubt I'm on anyone's to meet list. Theres alot of folks who I'd love to meet, well as a matter a fact almost anyone on the forums. But there's a few that stand out.

Hans, its hard to find someone who's posts are more filled with good cheer, humor, and a sense of personality than Hans. I'm sure herping or even just chatting with him would be a blast.

Kelly MC, I have always enjoyed your way of seeing things and bringing a unique perspective to many a post. Combined with the respect for the animals that you so clearly have I think you're a pretty awesome person.

And justinm, I think I have known you online longer than I have known anyone else on here all the way back to the herpfamily days. We briefly met but that was during my more shy and introverted days and we didn't really talk much. It'd certainly be cool to meet again.

Haha anyways don't let your heads get too big, just a few honest compliments :)
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

probably Chad Whitney... Brick, and chris_mcmartin. Many cool guys, from across the country have dropped in for a tour of the Mojave, already... so i'm lucky, in that respect ;)

couple of Fl guys I woudn't mind meeting, as well. :D
justinm

Post by justinm »

Antonsrkn wrote:
And justinm, I think I have known you online longer than I have known anyone else on here all the way back to the herpfamily days. We briefly met but that was during my more shy and introverted days and we didn't really talk much. It'd certainly be cool to meet again.

Haha anyways don't let your heads get too big, just a few honest compliments :)
Yes you and Andy O'connor were just young pups back then, and I well I was younger too I guess. Andy and I have of course become great friends and had some high adventure together. It would be great to get to spend a little more time and catch up. You were really shy when we met, but I've always thought you had an eye for photography. I remember you borrowing your father's camera and getting amazing pics, like those of crocodiles and being very impressed.

Justin Michels
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

Hard to limit myself to only 3, so I'll only add three that weren't mentioned yet.

Kevin Messenger
Sam Sweet
ribbit (John Sullivan)

Another one unfortunately passed away recently.
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

I would like to meet all the members here who have made positively significant and informative contributions on this forum over the years and invite them all for beer and a barbecue. (the maternal side of my personality won't allow me to play favorites).
simus343

Post by simus343 »

This is a tough call for me.

In no particular order, and again, this was some tough calls because of all the people on here that I'd like to pick the brains of.

Kelly to "talk shop". Only so much can be conveyed through the web about micro-details in herpetoculture. The best way is to feel the different minute aspects of terrariums first hand.

Captainjack (Noah). We have been in contact several times through PM to help the other with various topics. It'd be nice to finally get to do some herping with him in the field.

bladerunner8u (Glenn). I'd really like to be able to learn from him for field herping. If I could spend some time herping / researching with him, I might be able to figure out what it really takes to work with some species of particular interest for myself.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Three really is about 50 too small. I'll add (it's my post)

Chad from KS
Berkeley Boone from GA
Rich in reptiles from TN
Dell Despain from wherever he's at nowadays.
krisbell

Post by krisbell »

Really nice idea for a post Tim - an unashamed way of spreading some (mostly man)love.

I am too infrequent a visitor to have a balanced view and I agree 3 is way too small a number so here are a few that spring immediately to mind, either as a result of email correspondence, assistance withlocations, vast knowledge or just because I find their posts witty, informative or insightful:

Hans
antonsrkn
Jimi
Ruxs
Jeroen Speybroeck
Kevin Messenger
Thor Hakonsen

Probably many, many more....
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

krisbel, this about people you haven't met. I would've mentioned a few of your choices but have been fortunate enough to have crossed paths with them before. Many people I would've mentioned are disqualified, but only because of that.

Tim
Matt Arnold

Post by Matt Arnold »

Everyone!
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

I agree with klawnscale...I couldn't pick just one person. Plus--I've already met many of the frequent posters; it's a goal of mine (and at times I might enjoy that pursuit more than the actual herping!).
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

Berkely Boone because from reading his posts and watching his videos, he seems like the nicest and most genuine guy one could meet, and it's clear he has a true passion for his work.

Also, Kyle Loucks and Bree (soul survivor) because I'm friends with them on Facebook and feel like I should know them in person. Plus, Bree is a fellow kayaker!
The Real Snake Man

Post by The Real Snake Man »

Justin Michels (justinm), Kyle Elmore (soopaman), and Hans Breuer (twoton).

-Gene
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

Wow picking only 3 is tough! I have met several from the Midwest over the years. :thumb:

Bill McGighan, Berkeley Boone, and Del Despain!

And Brian Hubbs as an alternate! ;)
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

The three I'd most like to meet, and go on a field herp expedition is...,

Not specifically in this order, all equal :)

Brian Hinds
Zack Lim
KichiMark
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I'd like to get Brian Hubbs' feedback on my rock build once its ready for enclosure. Even though he doesn't keep captive zonata - actually, that's why!

Yeah Simus I would love to tromp through the muck with you, and talk shop as we sit and shape slates.
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

There's no way I could keep it to just three. Like Tim, I've been here since before The Crash, and been a part of some good discussions and seen more drool-worthy pictures than I can remember.

Everyone mentioned, and that has posted a reply, would be a welcome hand to shake. (I'm a little sad I missed Jeroen when he came through the Southeastern US a few weeks ago, he was almost literally in my backyard! Seriously- just a couple of miles.)

Kelly Mc wrote:Yeah Simus I would love to tromp through the muck with you, and talk shop as we sit and shape slates.
Let me know when this happens, I will join in with the two of yall!
--Berkeley
krisbell

Post by krisbell »

Tim Borski wrote:krisbel, this about people you haven't met.
Tim
Lol I get it Tim - I havent met any of those I mentioned. In fact you are one of the very few I have actually met.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

I don't play favorites. I'd be happy to meet anybody, so simus, Kelly and Berkeley (I guess these are my three), let me know if you arrange anything. I've actually been thinking about trying to herp a few places in South Georgia/Alabama. Seems like if we could get Kelly to come out the four of us could get this done.

There are two people that don't really use the forum I'd like to meet. Paul Moler, largely because I want to hear from him how he discovered the Florida Bog Frog. I'd also like to meet Dick and Patricia Bartlett, the authors of the Florida herp guide books I use. I figure if there is anybody who knows anything about Florida herps, it would be these three people. The funny thing is both of them live around me, I could probably even walk to the Bartlett's house from my apartment. But social rules say it would be weird if I just showed up on their doorstep :roll: :lol:
justinm

Post by justinm »

captainjack0000 wrote:I don't play favorites. I'd be happy to meet anybody, so simus, Kelly and Berkeley (I guess these are my three), let me know if you arrange anything. I've actually been thinking about trying to herp a few places in South Georgia/Alabama. Seems like if we could get Kelly to come out the four of us could get this done.

There are two people that don't really use the forum I'd like to meet. Paul Moler, largely because I want to hear from him how he discovered the Florida Bog Frog. I'd also like to meet Dick and Patricia Bartlett, the authors of the Florida herp guide books I use. I figure if there is anybody who knows anything about Florida herps, it would be these three people. The funny thing is both of them live around me, I could probably even walk to the Bartlett's house from my apartment. But social rules say it would be weird if I just showed up on their doorstep :roll: :lol:
Dick Bartlett is probably one of the nicest people on the planet. Send him an email or a friend request on Facebook as he's an active user of it. I'm sure he would go herping with you, seriously.

Justin Michels
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

John Delgado wrote:The three I'd most like to meet, and go on a field herp expedition is...,

Brian Hinds
Zack Lim
KichiMark
Hey John,

This can happen anytime haha! Let's organize something and we can hit the field- Ukiah aint that far from me and I do need to add some of the Garters from up there to my life list!

-Zach
brick911

Post by brick911 »

I met my #1 last month. I'm sadly not on here enough anymore to do this post justice with an answer.
fringe

Post by fringe »

gbin & Kelly Mc

:mrgreen:

I feel like we bonded.
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Zach_Lim wrote:
John Delgado wrote:The three I'd most like to meet, and go on a field herp expedition is...,

Brian Hinds
Zack Lim
KichiMark
Hey John,

This can happen anytime haha! Let's organize something and we can hit the field- Ukiah aint that far from me and I do need to add some of the Garters from up there to my life list!

-Zach
Well okay ... let's go Zach...! :beer:

PM sent.

BTW a shout-out to Tim Borski ... GREAT idea for a thread.

When we get out there ... have to post the meet-up with pics of our finds - will reference this thread.
pete

Post by pete »

I'd like to meet

Tim Borski, preferably on a sandbar throwing feathers at fish. I like your enthusiasm and the fact that you spend a ton of time with your kids. Your art is pretty effn cool as well.

ChrisH, bird nerds are a dime a dozen. But bird nerds that herp, are well rounded individuals. :D

Kelly Mc, the knowledge she has regarding husbandry of herps is incredible. The time she spends answering queries is quite commendable.

I could go on with way more folks, but three was the limit :(
JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN »

Tim and Tamara, thank you, and I'd love to meet both of you. If you ever find yourselves in the greater Bay Area, I'm at your disposal. And really, if the people I have already met from this forum are any indication, than I'd like to meet everyone. I've developed a lot of respect and admiration for the folks in this bend of the intertubes.

JimM
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

brick911 wrote:I met my #1 last month. I'm sadly not on here enough anymore to do this post justice with an answer.
I thought you met Mike and me two years ago? :lol:
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

I've done pretty well with meeting people, at least around here and on my trip to the 2014 National Meeting, but I do have some empty spots.

I've spoken with Mike Van Valen several times on here, and on Facebook. We only live a few hours from each other, so I don't know why we haven't met yet.

Dick Bartlett might make me fan girl a bit. Mike likes to reference his old column in Reptiles magazine, when he talked about field herping and, in the winter months, if he needed to see something, he would go and flip a stone in his yard to see the skinks that hibernated under there. Plus, he's from MA, so he has some experience herping up here and knows the heartbreak.

Speaking of people who know the heartbreak of herping in New England, Jake Scott is high up there for me as well. I love his post from a year or two ago, when he went back to Maine.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

I have been fortunate enough to have meet so many here.

I see Dr Sam Sweet's name here, and that's good to see, I have herped with him a couple times (Outstanding herper in the field not just the class room or forum lessons) and I am fortunate to be able to communicate with him regularly. I always learn so much from him. Top of the line all the way around.

My top 4 to meet in person, if I had to choose, of those I have not meet yet.
Bob Ferguson
Don Becker (I am sure if he is reads this it may surprise him)
Cole Grover
Dell Despain

But there are many others too.
Like Brian Hubbs ;)

Fundad
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

I'd like to meet the Kirbys.

I'd also like to meet gbin, just to see what he looks like.

Truth be told I'd be happy to meet most of the people on the forum.
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

MCHerper wrote:I'd like to meet the Kirbys.

I'd also like to meet gbin, just to see what he looks like.

Truth be told I'd be happy to meet most of the people on the forum.
I've only met two of the brothers (Mike and Matt), and their respective SOs, and all of them are great. :)
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

Well, hot damn! Cool post, Tim! I'm going to need to kick this around. I've gotta say, though, that I'm waaaay flattered that anyone would be interested enough in meeting me to post about it. I (and Dell, too, I'm sure - I'll direct him this way when he's off the river...) would be a gracious host for those of you who'd care to come this far out of the way. Tim, Brian, Justin... I know we've discussed this in the past. Let's do some planning.

Later,
-Cole
justinm

Post by justinm »

Cole,

I really have no excuse. I'm certain it's beautiful up your way, and the fishing sounds great so do the Milk Snakes.

Justin Michels

P.S.
I've been very fortunate to have met so very many of you, without this site that likely wouldn't have ever happened. Thanks to Scott Waters for putting up with me for so long.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Many many good ones on here.

Like Klawnscale I'm afraid to play favorites, so I won't list most of the ones I'm actually thinking. But I do think it's ridiculous that after all the pm's, forum banter, and phone calls we've had, that I haven't had any decent face-to-face time with Hubbs.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

justinm wrote:
captainjack0000 wrote:Dick Bartlett is probably one of the nicest people on the planet.
Second that. Never met him in person, but he was of enormous help with my book.

To those who put me on the list - I'm very flattered to think anyone would want to meet me, and I thank you, seriously, for making my day. I have already had the honor of meeting and herping with quite a few forum members, in Taiwan as well as here in Borneo. And I would love to meet more. Dick Bartlett, VenomDoc, Bill Gorum, KellyMc ... actually, anyone at all - I've yet to meet a boring herper. Weird & wacky? Sure. But never boring.

PS: Schedule update: I'll be going back to Taiwan for six months next week, in case anyone's heading that way. But be forewarned: in person, I talk more and make less sense than Donald Trump on cheap speed ...
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

You're an eloquent host Hans. A touchable hero here at FHF. Kind of a Pooh Bear Steve Irwin :)

I cant imagine anyone not wanting to look at animals in the jungle with you.

You got some sharp layers, too ;)

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:
PS: Schedule update: I'll be going back to Taiwan for six months next week, in case anyone's heading that way. But be forewarned: in person, I talk more and make less sense than Donald Trump on cheap speed ...

Aw any body who would agree with that, is just mad cuz they cant keep up!
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote: To those who put me on the list - I'm very flattered to think anyone would want to meet me, and I thank you, seriously, for making my day. I have already had the honor of meeting and herping with quite a few forum members, in Taiwan as well as here in Borneo. And I would love to meet more. Dick Bartlett, VenomDoc, Bill Gorum, KellyMc ... actually, anyone at all - I've yet to meet a boring herper. Weird & wacky? Sure. But never boring.

Hans,

If you ever find yourself in New Mexico you do have an open invitation to go herping. There are so many people on here I'd like to meet that I won't put up any names. I've already met several people from the forum, some of whom I was not even aware of before meeting them, and everybody has been, without exception, awesome to hang out and herp with.