Must be hatching time.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Noah M

Must be hatching time.

Post by Noah M »

Gilchrist County, found around noon, cruising.
mtratcliffe

Re: Must be hatching time.

Post by mtratcliffe »

So small! I wonder how far they range from their birth burrows at that age?
simus343

Post by simus343 »

Sometimes when first born they won't even dig their own burrow, so that could have the chance to be interpreted as pretty far. The farthest I think I've ever seen one ranging away from its first self-made burrow is about 400 feet, guestimate. At work we will occasionally back-track the tracks of baby torts to their burrows and flag the burrow so no one steps on it by accident.

I've been seeing baby torts with no annuli all year, obviously some/most were last years (but with no annuli from winter?). The first nest I found of fresh eggshells was back in late July, so they are starting to emerge. Its great that you found a baby, means there are enough adults in the area for breeding to occur :thumb:.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

simus343 wrote:Sometimes when first born they won't even dig their own burrow, so that could have the chance to be interpreted as pretty far. The farthest I think I've ever seen one ranging away from its first self-made burrow is about 400 feet, guestimate. At work we will occasionally back-track the tracks of baby torts to their burrows and flag the burrow so no one steps on it by accident.

I've been seeing baby torts with no annuli all year, obviously some/most were last years (but with no annuli from winter?). The first nest I found of fresh eggshells was back in late July, so they are starting to emerge. Its great that you found a baby, means there are enough adults in the area for breeding to occur :thumb:.
Interesting. So are they capable of digging a burrow from the moment they hatch? I've always wondered about that.
Matt S.

Post by Matt S. »

That is really cool. I would be ecstatic to see either the hatchling gopher or the hatchling terrapin you found. Nice work and thanks for posting. Bring on Fall!