Tadpole Guide - Requesting Photos

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

mtratcliffe

Tadpole Guide - Requesting Photos

Post by mtratcliffe » September 6th, 2015, 11:37 am

Hey everyone,

For those who don't know me, my name is Matt Ratcliffe and I'm the VP for the Southeast Chapter of NAFHA. I am currently working on making a tadpole guide for anurans found within the Southeastern United States. The guide exists on the SE chapter forum, and is updated regularly. It is meant to serve as a visual tool to aid with tadpole identification, as I've found there is a lack of online resources containing multiple examples of a given species. You can view it here:

http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... 11&t=22489

As you can see, the guide is incomplete, but it is starting to gain some depth. I am relying on user-submitted photos (along with my own) to build it. I will accept any clear photos of eggs, tadpoles, metamorphs, and froglets/toadlets of a species that is found within the Southeastern US (see thread for a master list). That does not mean that the picture had to be taken within the geographic Southeast. For example, a Gray Treefrog tadpole photo taken in Pennsylvania would be accepted, as that species is found elsewhere in the target region. Additionally, I will include multiple photos of a species' given stage because not all tadpoles and morphs look the same. So, just because you see a lot of Squirrel Treefrog morph photos does not mean I am not accepting more.

If you would like to help add to this guide, please reply here or PM me with your photos. I will give credit under each photo included in the guide to the original owner. This guide will eventually be a sticky on the SE Chapter forum, and will remain there, meaning I will not profit monetarily from anyone's photos. It's only with your help that I can make this venture worthwhile!

Thanks for your time and consideration.

- Matt

cbernz

Re: Tadpole Guide - Requesting Photos

Post by cbernz » September 7th, 2015, 3:53 pm

Hyla versicolor from NJ:

River Frog from FL:

Wood Frog eggs from NJ:

mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe » September 7th, 2015, 5:10 pm

Awesome shots - just what the guide needs. Thank you!

Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs » September 7th, 2015, 10:22 pm

When you get done with the East, could you do one for AZ? :thumb: