Wisconsin baby Timbers 2015

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Russ Jerome

Wisconsin baby Timbers 2015

Post by Russ Jerome »

Been years since I have posted, re signed in as new user.

Very exciting day out for late Aug (30th, sunny and into 80's by noon) along WI river corridor, 6 adult Crotalus on way up a bluff followed by 2 more adults..that flagged a ball of baby Timbers next to them! Never seen baby's curled up by a den opening, never seen a timber this small ever! So excited I had to stop, heat and adrenaline wore me out.
Cell phone sorry if its washed, have video and other pics if wanted.
One of two adults that made me notice the baby's between the two. This one and other were solid 4 foot adults, happy and healthy all were thick. 14 Timbers total including the 6 baby's, best day ever for me. With years off looking for Massasauga may get out this weekend and try and beat that record for sightings (think 4 in a day was my best).
Philrezin1

Re: Wisconsin baby Timbers 2015

Post by Philrezin1 »

Nice find man! Those haven't even shed it looks like! Have seen a few with the button rattles but never a ball like that! Just a great find!
Russ Jerome

Post by Russ Jerome »

Went back this morning 6 days later. Overcast and drizzle I saw yet another adult but smaller under same opening peaking out. Made the rounds on bluff but only saw heads peaking out of dens. Walked below area of pictures and shined a small LED inside....they are still there! Saw several 6 lined racers running 50mph and a Blue racer doing 100 into brush....everybody is jumpy with temps.
Russ Jerome

Post by Russ Jerome »

Had no idea we lost Carl Koch, I took the wrong years off herping and posting :|
One of the only people less dnr/milw museum I have shared my Sistrusus sites with.
Left the shed at den entrance so not to piss off owner, see you soon Carl.

https://video-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvide ... e=55EC9489
Russ Jerome

Post by Russ Jerome »

Labor day, into 80's a quick peak shows babys still there, 2 additional spots yielded more Timbers and a huge Bull snake relaxing in a den. Plenty or racers both 6 lined and blue....god Im hating those things moving so quick. Plans where Ornates today but snakes always win.

After an hr of hiking the worst prickers I have ever been thru in my life (Im 51 and into Herps since childhood) I found a remote area of a State land that I cant imagine people have been thru. The reward was a den site with 4 large openings like I have never seen in MN or WI before, old shed and new, big enough for me to climb back into and be surprised by another Bull, didnt expect a cold blooded critter to be back there this time of year, it was very cool in there. FB- phone pics I need to upload other stuff for herp people.
Russ Jerome

Post by Russ Jerome »

The first two pics above are same snake, very laid back I had lunch at that site. The 3rd I think is the mother of babies in first pics, long but skinnier than the other adults seen at same den. Hoping one of the other big snakes at den is a gravid female, trying to keep distance but monitor at same time but days are numbered for weather and season.
Russ Jerome

Post by Russ Jerome »

Not sure where pics went of babys:
Another:
And video:
pjfishpa

Post by pjfishpa »

Very very cool!