Python challenge (Jan-Feb) 2016, WILL INCLUDE ENP

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jdustin

Python challenge (Jan-Feb) 2016, WILL INCLUDE ENP

Post by jdustin »

Interesting things are happening in relation to herping in south Florida.
The Python Challenge that took place in 2013 is making a comeback in 2016, And will take place Jan 16- Feb 14.
http://pythonchallenge.org/

The big shocker for many is that this time the event will include Everglades National Park, in addition to the previously included Wildlife Management Areas.
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/20 ... rk-january

This has caused outrage by PEER, a national environmental group.
http://www.news-press.com/story/news/20 ... /71405468/

It appears from that last article and this press release they've posted, that they are challenging not only this contest but also the entire Authorized Agent python removal Program, which appears to be under review.
http://www.peer.org/news/news-releases/ ... edent.html
Travistodd91

Re: Python challenge (Jan-Feb) 2016, WILL INCLUDE ENP

Post by Travistodd91 »

What a joke I'm stunned that there are people who actually think like that what are they trying to protect ? An invasive that has been detrimental To our native species??
simus343

Post by simus343 »

Too bad that quote didn't say who it was from. Now the entire PEER organization has gone up in flames because of apparent anonymity. Whoever said it is a moron in my opinion:
It's in the third link for those of you interested.

"If you let this kind of thing in National Parks, it would set a precedent, and you'd have competitions in National Parks to see who can shoot the biggest bison."

Either he is rather dim, or he isn't from the United States. 1) Large pythons are invasive, 2) Bison are native. It would be different if we were allowing people to hunt American Crocodiles. Those are native and need protection, Burmese Pythons are neither.

Based on the quote from whoever that was, while I have never heard of PEER before this, PEER has lost all credibility in my view. Almost to an unredeemable point. That quote, along with many others. If you want something done, be refined and professional, don't come off sounding like PEER did.

Granted I share some concerns though about the entire process all together, be it in a WMA or in the ENP. What is to stop some snake-fearing person from killing an Indigo or EDB? Is a FWC/NPS employee going to accompany each person? Yet, in the interest of gaining some more data, I say let the hunt go on. I'm very curious as to how many Pythons they can capture. If it does not exceed 100 this time, I think the project is futile from a restoration/conservation viewpoint. I'm also curious to see the amount captured between WMAs and the ENP.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

I read the 3rd article, and I think the quotes from PEER are all from "PEER executive director Jeff Ruch".

Perhaps Ruch was taken out of context. I think a 'slippery slope' argument could be made here; if we allow the hunting of invasive species in parks, why not allow hunting period? I don't really agree with this stance, but I'm trying to give PEER the benefit of the doubt.

Here is one thing I know, park staff remove invasive plants and animals from parks all the time - how many times have staff removed iquanas from parks in the Keys, or how often do they saw down Brazilian pepper plants in ENP? Instead of calling this a python hunt, if they called it a python removal contest, things might be different.

That being said, I have no problem with park staff being team leaders and general public volunteers working with them to locate and remove pythons. There is always the fear that "allowing snake hunting" will turn into killing native snake species.

Having park staff around should cut down on that because fines can be levied, but snakes cannot be brought back to life, except for in my direct-to-TV movie I'm writing, Zombie Snakenado, a romantic action adventure story inspired by Sharknado 2, but with zombie snakes.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

There are in all probability thousands and thousands of pythons in south FL that will never see a road or human being during their life span. Dispatching one only effects the animals it would've consumed over that period of time. I don't know the answer and apparently no one else does either. Happy to hear people are on it though.

Tim
jdustin

Post by jdustin »

Update, in case anyone cares.
After everything was said and done the decision was made that only existing Authorized Agents will be allowed to capture pythons inside ENP as part of the 2016 Python Challenge competition.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florid ... story.html