May through beginning of August. (Updated)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Josh Young

May through beginning of August. (Updated)

Post by Josh Young »

Haven't made a post in a while, so here's some photos of what I've been up too since my last post.

Came across this diamondback in ANF mid-May.

ImageEastern diamondback rattlesnake. by Josh Young, on Flickr

Managed to get my first coral snake outside of the state of Florida in SE Georgia in the beginning of June.

ImageEastern coral snake. by Josh Young, on Flickr

Pygmies are consistently my most commonly encountered snake while in ANF, with days where I'll see upwards of a dozen or more. Here's a couple for now.

ImageDusky pygmy rattlesnake. by Josh Young, on Flickr

I managed to get my lifer mimic glass lizard, and have managed 2 more since then. Here's the second individual I came across, in perfect shape with it's original tail.

ImageMimic glass lizard. by Josh Young, on Flickr

2nd day of July I managed my 2nd southern hognose of the year.

ImageSouthern hognose snake. by Josh Young, on Flickr

Found this real stunner of an eastern garter snake while cruising around locally where I live.

ImageEastern garter snake. by Josh Young, on Flickr

Came across this canebrake with Nick Scobel while we were in ONF one evening in mid-July.

ImageCanebrake rattlesnake. by Josh Young, on Flickr

A few more pygmies.

ImageDusky pygmy rattlesnake, by Josh Young, on Flickr

ImageAnery dusky pygmy rattlesnake. by Josh Young, on Flickr

ImageAnerythristic dusky pygmy rattlesnake. by Josh Young, on Flickr

My last trip to ANF was with my dad, who was hoping to see pygmies, we saw a dozen including 3 neonates, but the highlight of the night was this little hatchling kingsnake I spotted on the shoulder of the road.

ImageHatchling ANF kingsnake. by Josh Young, on Flickr

ImageHatchling ANF kingsnake. by Josh Young, on Flickr

Also wanted to share a few non-herp photos I've taken as of late. I've really been expanding into astrophotography a lot as of late, here's a few astro shots with some other stuff mixed in.

Image_JY05400 by Josh Young, on Flickr

Image_JY05385 by Josh Young, on Flickr

ImageMilky Way over my yard. by Josh Young, on Flickr

ImageMilky Way over Tate's Hell. by Josh Young, on Flickr

ImageMorning colors. by Josh Young, on Flickr

ImageLightning over my yard. by Josh Young, on Flickr

ImageMoon, stars, lightning and a light trail. by Josh Young, on Flickr

ImageMoonlit beach. by Josh Young, on Flickr

ImageLightning over Alligator Point. by Josh Young, on Flickr

ImageMilky Way over East Bay. by Josh Young, on Flickr

ImageMilky Way over random roadside saltmarsh. by Josh Young, on Flickr

ImageMeteor & Milky Way. by Josh Young, on Flickr

To wrap it up, here's a test shot of something I plan to do as much as I am allowed, it's rough, but it's a start and as I learn PS some more and practice this more often I'll hopefully have some better shots to share.

ImageCotton & the Milky Way. by Josh Young, on Flickr

Update*

This past Monday I went to cruise an area north of me in hopes of finally getting my first Georgia canebrake alive. The moment I got to the area I came across my 6th DOR for the state, but a couple hours later I finally managed to get a live yearling canebrake.

ImageCanebrake rattlesnake. by Josh Young, on Flickr

The next day I went back hoping for either an adult or a neonate and I scored a neonate canebrake soon after getting to the area.

ImageNeonate canebrake rattlesnake. by Josh Young, on Flickr

ImageNeonate canebrake rattlesnake. by Josh Young, on Flickr

Then with the cool front we've had this week, I decided to try find another simus and ended up cruising a hatchling coral snake instead.

ImageHatchling eastern coral snake. by Josh Young, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, and hope y'all enjoyed.
kevin h

Re: May through beginning of August.

Post by kevin h »

WOW those astro photos are stunning! Not to mention the herp shots as well. I really liked the coral and hognose. I should really get down to that neck of the woods sometime and check out those awesome critters. Really neat Josh!

-Kevin.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Good stuff. Pygmies are fun little snakes. Like the hognose the best though of the snakes. Hope to see some this year myself.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

I've never seen a Gartersnake like that, and that last shot with the Cottonmouth is really awesome! How long was the exposure on that shot?
HerpMan ATL

Post by HerpMan ATL »

Excellent shots as usual. Love the composition you come up with. Always unique and interesting.
Philrezin1

Post by Philrezin1 »

That anery pygmy was really cool to see!
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

Nice hognose. I have only found easterns. Would be nice to get to some simus habitat one of these days! And your sky photographs are AMAZING.

~Bree
Josh Young

Post by Josh Young »

mtratcliffe wrote:I've never seen a Gartersnake like that, and that last shot with the Cottonmouth is really awesome! How long was the exposure on that shot?
It's 2 separate frames, I took a shot of the cotton with my usual settings and then took a 30" exposure of the Milky Way.

soulsurvivor wrote:Nice hognose. I have only found easterns. Would be nice to get to some simus habitat one of these days! And your sky photographs are AMAZING.

~Bree
Luckily for me both species are on the road and area I got the simus. This year was my first year seeing easterns alive since I was like 10 years old and I've gotten 3 alive now. Thanks for the kind words on the nightscapes, they're my obsession as of late now that I have a wide angle and a tripod.
Carl D. May

Re: May through beginning of August. (Updated)

Post by Carl D. May »

Stunning photography and imaginative compositions too! And of course, some great finds.
The reddish colored garter snake is similar to a couple of found in the ANF---which is the only locality where Ive seen that color of eastern garters before.