Aussie looking for herpers in FL for a short trip?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

OllieNeuman

Aussie looking for herpers in FL for a short trip?

Post by OllieNeuman »

Hello!
I am from Sydney Australia, on my gap year after recently finishing school, and will be in the Miami area for about 10 days from the 30th of August. I was wondering if any of you would be interested in a short day or two trip out to the Everglades (or any place where I can see some cool herps) in the 1st week of September?
Thanks very much,
Ollie

mtratcliffe

Re: Aussie looking for herpers in FL for a short trip?

Post by mtratcliffe »

Ollie,

I won't be able to make it out there, but it will still be very hot and humid here in Florida during your visit, so your best bet is to herp in the morning and then pick up again in the evening. Road cruising the Main Park Road in the Everglades at night will undoubtedly turn up some snakes for you - just be sure to obey traffic laws and to not touch any animals, even if they are dead!

There's a few attractions in the park you can hit in the morning to see lots of gators and turtles. But if you spend all day in the park this time of year, you might end up being miserable.

- Matt

OllieNeuman

Post by OllieNeuman »

Haha! OK, cheers! I won't have my own car, so unless I can find someone to come out with me,I won't be doing any herping haha! Thanks very much for the info tho!

Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Don't give up so easily. There are probably plenty of "urban" herps you could look for. Are there any parks, bike paths, empty lots, etc. near where you are staying? And most certainly check the halos of light around walls at night. Geckos of one kind or another are sure to be seen.

If you find an empty lot, check under the rubble and debris, you never know what might turn up.

OllieNeuman

Post by OllieNeuman »

Haha! I won't! I now have a National Parks pass, so I hope to get out there! Yeah, I'll be sure to check out those areas. I don't get there for a few days, but I'll suss out the immediate area when I do! Thanks a lot for that mate!
Cheers
Ollie