Birthday herping

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Rich in Reptiles

Birthday herping

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

Who else always goes herping on their birthday? I do! I can't think of a better way to spend a birthday, this one being my 18th. I went to my favorite herping spot tucked away in a mature hardwood forest that has misty creeks, awesome forest floor plants, and even a small cave. I've herped at this place for years and have checked the cave every now and again, but I have never seen a cave salamander on the property until this August. I was really excited to find a new record for this spot! Cave salamanders are so elegant, and seeing them crawling on the cave walls for the first time at this location was very exciting for me! There were also a few Northern slimy salamanders out and about.

Imagecave salamander (Eurycea lucifuga) by Bethany Avilla, on Flickr

Imagecave salamander (Eurycea lucifuga) by Bethany Avilla, on Flickr

ImageNorthern slimy salamander (Plethodon glutinosus) by Bethany Avilla, on Flickr

My dog "Dawg" posing by a female Eastern box turtle. She's my herping buddy!
ImageDawg with an Eastern box turtle by Bethany Avilla, on Flickr

I love this fern not only because I like ferns in general- but because it is called the Rattlesnake fern!
Imagerattlesnake fern by Bethany Avilla, on Flickr

-Bethany
simus343

Re: Birthday herping

Post by simus343 »

I usually work on my birthdays haha. Then again, I am almost always herping while I work :thumb:.

Salamanders are a really fun herp to look for. Of all types of herps, due to the secretive nature and specific habitat needs, I think they are one of the more likely herps to get a new location record for. I almost scored this with some Necturus, but found they were already noted in the county - just not since 1986.

Dogs make great herping companions? She a black lab/pit mix? Looks just like the black lab/pit mix that I go herping with :P. He's got a knack for finding snakes and barking at them - he know he'll get treats and human food when he does haha.
double d

Post by double d »

Great photos , and happy birthday!!! I lived in tha Appalachia mountains growing up and would find salamanders all the time , but I was a snake guy and past up some relly great finds , bummer ! There was so many different kinds the only ones I looked up to I.d. was a tiger salamander and twin spooted that I found. Congrats on the finds !!!
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Very cool and some pretty neat Herps too. I would rather go on a herp'n trip than any other. I would even pass up going to Disneyland or whatever, to be in the desert or woods. Matter fact, i still choose going herp'n over any other birthday treat. :thumb:
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Well Happy Birdthday to someone who is one of the coolest herpers on FHF! So glad you and ' Dawg' got to knock around a lil today! Love your Cave mander pics also 'B', they are so pretty.

Rcok ON!

Dave
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Wait a second. Today is my birthday! :shock:

Neat salamanders Beth. Those are always fun to hunt for, but I'm also quite happy with my finds. My in-laws were down for my wife's graduation and my birthday, and the four of us took a drive after a late lunch.

Young Chicken Turtle

The largest EDB I've ever seen alive. It was easily 4.5', maybe closer to 5' even.

We kept are distance and let it slither off the road, unharmed. It only half rattled its tail once, but we generally just let it be.
Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

Thanks everyone!! Salamanders seem to be all I can find this year LOL! I am more of a Squamate person at heart for sure, but salamanders are pretty high up on the list too.

Yes, my dog is a great herping companion! She never sniffs out anything for me but she makes up for it by being a great buddy. I'm pretty sure she's full black lab, but she was a stray so I don't know for sure.

Noah, I realize that I didn't say in the post that my birthday was on the 6th!! Happy birthday to you! So close to sharing a birthday! :D I'm glad you had a couple birthday surprises as well!

-Bethany
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Happy Birthday to you too. Maybe next year you should look for a rattler and I'll go looking for salamanders :)
double d

Post by double d »

Wow noah , awesome find congrats !! Its great you had family down and they came with and the herps came through with a beautiful EDB !!!
Jefferson

Post by Jefferson »

Noah: Happy birthday, and great rattlers! I still have only a Copperhead on my venomous life-list.
Thany: Those salamander pictures are gorgeous, but I don't think any of your shots beat the one of Dawg with the Eastern Box Turtle! Happy 18th!
NewYorkHerper16

Post by NewYorkHerper16 »

Happy belated birthday, Thany!! Those are all some awesome finds, especially on your birthday! Mine is in January, so the only herps i get to find are the ones in my room lol. The shot of Dawg is awesome!!!
JakeScott

Post by JakeScott »

Happy birthday, Bethany! Looks like you had a great time.
Every year on my birthday I try to make a trip somewhere different/interesting. And for the past 4 years I've gotten at least one lifer on, or a day before or after, my birthday.

-Jake
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Happy Belated Birthdays, Noah and Bethany!
I, too, go out on my birthday for some herping. I try to find a snake of some sort, and a venomous snake preferably, but any herp is a plus!

Found a couple of day(s) old canebrake babies on my birthday last Monday. :) It was a good day.
--Berkeley