Sydney Snakes!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

JakeMeney

Sydney Snakes!

Post by JakeMeney »

Red-bellied Black Snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus). These are taken for granted by most Australian herpers due to them being extremely common, but they really are beautiful snakes!!
ImageRed-bellied Black Snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus) by Jake Meney, on Flickr

Highlands Copperhead (Austrelaps ramsayi). These are a higher altitude species and are also quite common in the right areas.
ImageHighlands Copperhead (Austrelaps ramsayi) by Jake Meney, on Flickr

ImageHighlands Copperhead (Austrelaps ramsayi) by Jake Meney, on Flickr

Tiger Snakes are often found in the same habitat as Copperheads. I was pretty excited to find this attractive juvenile crossing a track at night in an area I'd herped frequently but never found them before.
ImageTiger Snake (Notechis scutatus) by Jake Meney, on Flickr

A much larger adult with a nose injury found in the same area a few weeks later.

Another of my favourite snakes is the Rough-scaled Snake (Tropidechis carinatus). They only reach about 90cm but are very toxic, quite defensive and also partly arboreal.
ImageRough-scaled Snake (Tropidechis carinatus) by Jake Meney, on Flickr

One species that I frustratingly failed to find for a long time is the Sydney endemic Broad-headed Snake (Hoplocephalus bungaroides). Fortunately I found my first back in February, a young male crossing a bush track just after sunset. To say I was excited that night would be a huge understatement!
ImageBroad-headed Snake (Hoplocephalus bungaroides) by Jake Meney, on Flickr

I've since found a few more, including this tiny juvenile..
ImageBroad-headed Snake (Hoplocephalus bungaroides) juvenile by Jake Meney, on Flickr

And another. Unfortunately these snakes are classified as endangered due to habitat destruction.

Hoplocephalus or hoplos as they're commonly referred to are seriously awesome little snakes that are full of attitude. This is the other species found in the Sydney region, the Stephen's Banded Snake (Hoplocephalus stephensii).
ImageStephen's Banded Snake (Hoplocephalus stephensii) by Jake Meney, on Flickr

The End!
Antonsrkn

Re: Sydney Snakes!

Post by Antonsrkn »

Great post with lots of beautiful snakes. It was interesting to see the small-eyed snake and the whip snake included in the category of snakes you really don't want to be bitten by, for some reason I was under the impression neither of those were dangerous or had potent venom. I'd definitely have to brush up before visiting Australia to avoid a dumb mistake.
Thor Hakonsen

Post by Thor Hakonsen »

Great set of snakes, and very nice photos also !
JakeMeney

Post by JakeMeney »

Thanks guys.
Antonsrkn wrote: It was interesting to see the small-eyed snake and the whip snake included in the category of snakes you really don't want to be bitten by, for some reason I was under the impression neither of those were dangerous or had potent venom.
Yeah I probably could have left the whip snake out as they're not likely to give you anything more than a badly swollen hand but small eyeds have a rather nasty venom that effects the muscles.
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

Woooow, now that was impressive! Not only the species array, but also the fact that you are that young and already developed such photographic skill! I am likely to stalk you when ever I get to doing that long awaited Australia trip!
double d

Post by double d »

I agree jeroen , thats is very good photography, I really liked the open mouthed shots ,, great job !! And the species line up was awesome !!
double d

Post by double d »

The pattern on the golden- crowned snakes head is amazing !!
krisbell

Post by krisbell »

Great post and photography - makes me really miss living in Sydney. Next up please do a post on the lizards of the Sydney region...
Jim Wetherall

Post by Jim Wetherall »

Perfect set of photos Jake, thank you for posting!
Would you be so kind as to provide details of your flash set up? The snakes are lit so nicely in these photos that I had to ask.
I have added you to my "following" list on Flickr, hope to see more photos like this soon!
JakeMeney

Post by JakeMeney »

Cheers for the kind words everyone.
Jim Wetherall wrote:Perfect set of photos Jake, thank you for posting!
Would you be so kind as to provide details of your flash set up? The snakes are lit so nicely in these photos that I had to ask.
I have added you to my "following" list on Flickr, hope to see more photos like this soon!
Thanks Jim. All these shots were taken with 2 external speedlites positioned either side of the animal, triggered by the cameras on board flash.
Jim Wetherall

Post by Jim Wetherall »

Thanks Jake. You're the third person to tell me in the last few weeks that they are using two speedlites off camera, time to bite the bullet I think and buy an extra one for my kit!
speedy

Post by speedy »

Great shots Jake, and good to see another Aussie on here showing of some great shots and herps.
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

Great post and awesome photography, but I beg to differ with you about the Small-eyed snake having nothing going for it appearance wise. :)
I think it's a looker, at least the one in your photo is.

Lawrence
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

but I beg to differ with you about the Small-eyed snake having nothing going for it appearance wise
I had the same reaction, I thought it was lovely too

thanks for the info & pics on "Hoplos" - neat little genus

nice pics all around, thanks for the Aussie stoke

cheers,
Jimi
speedy

Post by speedy »

Lawrence and Jimi, That is actually a pretty good looking Small-eyed Snake. But I'm with Jake, they are horrible, bipolar, ugly things.
VanAR

Post by VanAR »

Who let this Aussie on here? Nothing is sacred anymore...

j/k Jake- great shots! Hope to get out in the field sometime. Speaking of- we need to talk about where to catch redbellies in Sydney for a project I'm coming up with.
JakeMeney

Post by JakeMeney »

Thanks guys!!

Haha Van! Looking forward to getting out with you too mate, spring and summer can't come quick enough! I've got some good black snake spots we can check out.
gus

Post by gus »

JakeMeney wrote:Cheers for the kind words everyone.
Jim Wetherall wrote:Perfect set of photos Jake, thank you for posting!
Thanks Jim. All these shots were taken with 2 external speedlites positioned either side of the animal, triggered by the cameras on board flash.

You're using some sort of diffusers I imagine Jim would be interested to know about these as well.
condyle

Post by condyle »

Awesome Post! Go tell your parents to "grow up" and hit the field!
JakeMeney

Post by JakeMeney »

gus wrote:You're using some sort of diffusers I imagine Jim would be interested to know about these as well.
Yep just using small lumiquest soft boxes.
Field Herper

Re: Sydney snakes

Post by Field Herper »

Great shots of some beaut specimens! 8-)
I really like the low viewpoint and soft, even lighting as already mentioned. What gear are you using?

You've found just about every species in the region. Well done! The only ones that I can think of that you haven't pictured (off the top of my head) are Pseudonaja textilis, Pseudechis guttatus, Cacophis krefftii, Drysdalia coronoides and Ramphotyphlops spp. (i.e nigrescens, proximus and wiedii). I can help you find some of these if you want.

I didn't know Roughies were found near Sydney. I thought they were only found further north. Do you mind me asking whereabouts you found it?
JakeMeney

Post by JakeMeney »

Field Herper wrote:Great shots of some beaut specimens! 8-)
I really like the low viewpoint and soft, even lighting as already mentioned. What gear are you using?

You've found just about every species in the region. Well done! The only ones that I can think of that you haven't pictured (off the top of my head) are Pseudonaja textilis, Pseudechis guttatus, Cacophis krefftii, Drysdalia coronoides and Ramphotyphlops spp. (i.e nigrescens, proximus and wiedii). I can help you find some of these if you want.

I didn't know Roughies were found near Sydney. I thought they were only found further north. Do you mind me asking whereabouts you found it?
Cheers Field Herper

As previously mentioned I'm using 2 external speedlites with small softboxes, a Canon 60D and a Tamron 90mm macro.

Yeah I've found the majority of those species aswell just haven't posted them here due to my photos of them being pretty terrible haha. Also Ramphotyphlops has now changed to Anilios.

Whilst not found in Sydney specifically carinatus is found a few hours north even as far south as Gosford. I find them predominantly on the Mid North Coast but that's as specific as I'm willing to get.
KEAC

Post by KEAC »

Jake,
Some excellent photography work. I would have been happy with a couple of those when I visited your area a few years back. Unfortunately I got some cold wet weather and headed to Queensland early to escape it. Did great up there so I can't complain. Some day a return trip may be in order, but for now my focus is on a S. Africa trip.
Welcome to the board.
Keac
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Excellent array of snakes and jaw dropping photography. Welcome aboard!
Field Herper

Post by Field Herper »

JakeMeney wrote:...
Cheers Field Herper

As previously mentioned I'm using 2 external speedlites with small softboxes, a Canon 60D and a Tamron 90mm macro.

Yeah I've found the majority of those species aswell just haven't posted them here due to my photos of them being pretty terrible haha. Also Ramphotyphlops has now changed to Anilios.

Whilst not found in Sydney specifically carinatus is found a few hours north even as far south as Gosford. I find them predominantly on the Mid North Coast but that's as specific as I'm willing to get.
Thanks for that info mate. You're getting great results with that gear. I had a Tamron 90mm macro and didn't get pics that good, so you're doing well. Your arrangement (of the specimens) is excellent too.

I didn't know that blind snakes have changed names (yet another taxonomic change!), so thanks for the heads up.

Roughies in Gosford! :o This is the first I've heard of them being found this far south. From all the records, literature and references I can find, their southernmost limit is Barrington Tops (Cogger, 2014) inland and around Myall Lakes (specifically Mungo Brush) on the coast. Sorry to doubt you mate but are you sure about this?
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

A belated welcome to the forum! A truly Grand Entry at the FHF Pow-wow! How long have you been photographing? That's one hell of a portfolio there. Care to show a photo of your setup? I can't quite imagine where exactly you put those two speedlites and their softboxes. Thanks in advance!
Bob H

Post by Bob H »

Great pictures, thanks so much for sharing.
JakeMeney

Post by JakeMeney »

Field Herper wrote:Roughies in Gosford! :o This is the first I've heard of them being found this far south. From all the records, literature and references I can find, their southernmost limit is Barrington Tops (Cogger, 2014) inland and around Myall Lakes (specifically Mungo Brush) on the coast. Sorry to doubt you mate but are you sure about this?
No worries mate. As you say, previously they are only known as far south as the areas you have described but I know a snake catcher who, in the last couple of years has removed several roughies from houses on the Central Coast.
JakeMeney

Post by JakeMeney »

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:A belated welcome to the forum! A truly Grand Entry at the FHF Pow-wow! How long have you been photographing? That's one hell of a portfolio there. Care to show a photo of your setup? I can't quite imagine where exactly you put those two speedlites and their softboxes. Thanks in advance!
Thank you Hans. I have been a fan of your posts for quite some time. I've only owned a camera for a bit over a year but I've become pretty obsessed with photography in that time haha. With regards to speedlite and softbox positioning, I use this bracket which should give you an idea of the set up.

http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/upload/13 ... FROTTO.jpg

Basically any set-up with flash coming from either side of the animal should produce nice, even light. I've also now upgraded to a canon 60mm macro which is an amazing herp lens!
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

Wow!! Unbelievable Jake!! Incredible shots of some absolutely beautiful snakes. You are very talented and fortunate to live where you can see such amazing creatures. Keep up the good work!

MC
Field Herper

Rough-scaled Snake range extension

Post by Field Herper »

JakeMeney wrote:
Field Herper wrote:Roughies in Gosford! :o This is the first I've heard of them being found this far south. From all the records, literature and references I can find, their southernmost limit is Barrington Tops (Cogger, 2014) inland and around Myall Lakes (specifically Mungo Brush) on the coast. Sorry to doubt you mate but are you sure about this?
No worries mate. As you say, previously they are only known as far south as the areas you have described but I know a snake catcher who, in the last couple of years has removed several roughies from houses on the Central Coast.
Thanks for getting back to me about this. Such a range extension has potentially serious implications into the management of snake bites in this area. Roughy envenomations are life-threatening, being similar in some respects to those of the Tiger Snake, with one victim dying within 5 minutes of being bitten! From memory, venom detection kits misattribute quite a few Roughie bites to Tiger Snake bites.
Thanks for letting us know. I hope that these relocations were reported to the relevant authorities and that word gets through to local hospitals, so they can stock antivenom.
Xtreme Herper

Post by Xtreme Herper »

Great stuff man! I'm new to the forum and already loving what I'm seeing!