hellihooks

frog in bag of salad

Post by hellihooks »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/highdes ... 432942445/

I say Sierra... other's think Baja.
kingsnakeadam

Re: frog in bag of salad

Post by kingsnakeadam »

It's a frog Jim....... just a frog.............
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

kingsnakeadam wrote:It's a frog Jim....... just a frog.............
spoken like a true 'citizen scientist'... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kingsnakeadam

Post by kingsnakeadam »

Hahaha ....... I give very detailed descriptions. Lol
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

It makes me think of the Sierran tree frogs I saw occasionally in Placer County. Who knows where it came from?! Ask Costco where they harvest their lettuce. :)

~Bree
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

gotta be from the Central Valley... baja's only go up to about the 99 /46, in Kern Co (i may have the range extension for them) anywhere north of that would be Sierra's... so... chances are Sierra. overall gestalt says sierra, to me, as well. :) they kept him as a pet, and he's doing fine... :lol: :lol: :lol: I said name him 'Crew (ton)' :crazyeyes:
Porter

Post by Porter »

This is funny...lol I was actually wondering earlier this year if frogs ever get caught in the heads of lettuce when being packaged on the small farms and crop fields. I've noticed earthworms crawling across restaurant walk-ins coming from these boxes... Lol I'm wondering if this guy actually bought organic lettuce there's more of a possibility that way... although the big companies do ship heads of lettuce in wax boxes with holes in the bottom which a frog or worm can easily crawl into after packaging, non organic companies.the crop fields where the gigas roam are doing pretty good as far as Sierran tree frogs. although still pretty patchy from what I'm gathering... I only hear them croaking in certain areas of the fields where water is close to the road and probably holds up well enough for metamorphose. I headed out recently on warm Thunderstorm night that got about 15 minutes of heavy downpour. I didn't see much as far as snakes just one gopher snake who became a dor before I made it back to him and I quickly called it a night when a quarter mile stretch of the road I was focused on became crawling with a hundred to a hundred and fifty little froggies, once the rain had stopped. driving that stretch at 2 miles per hour and Steering left to right side of the lanes,was not something I wanted to repeat as I drove up and down the road Lol pretty cool to see. there was a cloud of flying bugs through that stretch so they were feasting pretty good that night. here's a video of the thunderstorm before it got dark...

https://flic.kr/p/ucK94b
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

yes... it was found in a bag of organic salad... I KNOW you're up in sierra range Richard... do you know if that's where most lettuce is grown in the Central valley?
JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN »

A lot of lettuce production comes from the Salinas Valley, which is in Sierran range.

JimM
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Thx Jim... been talking to Kern residents, trying to figure out how much (if any) lettuce is grown there, trying to establish a positive ID. Working 2 jobs I haven't had time to herp, or even get data from HDWG submitted... but this would be one for the books... :crazyeyes:

gps accuracy.... + or - 300 miles??? LOL
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

According to Sam Sweet, the paper that split the Pacific Treefrog into 3 species is bunk. It's a Pacific Treefrog and you can't tell the difference between any of them. They come in all kinds of colors and actually change color like chameleons...

But, as an aside, I think I'll buy my salad items separately and make my own from now on... :shock:
kingsnakeadam

Post by kingsnakeadam »

See I told you it was a frog.......
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

What Brian said. If you took a baja, sierra, and pacific, and threw them all together, you wouldn't be able to dicern a difference, the males all sound the same, and the females of each would go with whatever male (based on the normal selection reasons they use)
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

AndyO'Connor wrote:What Brian said. If you took a baja, sierra, and pacific, and threw them all together, you wouldn't be able to dicern a difference, the males all sound the same, and the females of each would go with whatever male (based on the normal selection reasons they use)
i knew this going in... although I'd have to say a higher percentage of Sierra's I've seen tend to be uni-color, rather than reticulated. :thumb:
Porter

Post by Porter »

Jim, I should know...but, I don't lol I'll ask and get back to ya
Porter

Post by Porter »

Sorry f2f or the late response, Jim. I've been busy and it slipped my mind. I couldn't get any other solid answer other than my own which is... organic growers are independent and can root up anywhere . So any suitable farming ground is game . They usually take what they grow to a manufacture that packages the produce for them. So, the way you could go about IDing the frog is to find out where the salad was packaged and grown. However, if both are on opposite sides of a certain range...the mystery of the frog coming from the farm or manufacturers will remain to be unsolved....
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

thx Richard...
I still think it's a safe bet, and far more likely that the produce came from somewhere in the Sierra range, rather than from the immeadiate Bakersfield area... :thumb:
Porter

Post by Porter »

Jim, thought you might get a kick outta this... :shock:

Image20150728_103751 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

Years ago I got a call from a Gelsons market asking me to come and remove an alligator lizard from the lettuce bin. I guess that alli was trying to go vegan. ...next thing ya know you'll be hearing about allis wanting to fly, cuz they're already "in the air"...OGR Jim!!!
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

ricrabt wrote:...next thing ya know you'll be hearing about allis wanting to fly, cuz they're already "in the air"...OGR Jim!!!
that's only up in Ventura... OGR
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Hey Jim, why do gopher snakes imitate rattlers?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Brian Hubbs wrote:Hey Jim, why do gopher snakes imitate rattlers?
out of spite... for rattlers imitating their hissing... cause ya know... rattlers want people to think they're gophers... :crazyeyes:

see how stupid it sounds when ya flip da script... :lol: :lol: :lol:

see Hubbs... even my pet peeves are better than yours... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Hey Jim, Why do you park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Brian Hubbs wrote:Hey Jim, Why do you park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?
cause someone screwed up the numbers on the curb??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Porter

Post by Porter »

Ok, so no one gets the joke or thinks it's even slightly humorous that there's a frog being used as an icon for organics considering what's already been said... dannnng. Tough crowd....
Porter

Post by Porter »

Frog in salad = Amphibious certification of approval :thumb:
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

A western toad was recently found in a bag of salad at a Sam's Club. i saw the humor Richard... just didn't get around to commenting... ;)

Frog update... the people who found him have spent a buttload of $ making him a big plush enclousure... named him 'Lucky' they felt so bad about him being alone... I went ahead and directed them to where they could find bajas and they went out and caught a couple of 'buddies' for him... so... Maybe Lucky will get lucky, and get lucky... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Porter

Post by Porter »

Words out... amphibians are now the salad crackerjack toy of healthy consumers :o