My first Zonata

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

John Delgado

My first Zonata

Post by John Delgado »

Not the greatest pic in the world of a zonata ... but it's my FIRST zonata :)

This Mountain King is located in the border line area of <edited out> ... wayyy up at about 2600 ft. elevation, miles from people or residential. Habitat vegetation consisting of pine trees, oak trees, madrone trees. Chaparrel, manzanita & sagebrush. Very quiet and peaceful location.

It was about 1:30 in the afternoon; he was in the shade of a HOT 90° day -- Looks like this fine specimen came up top to pick-up some residual heat ... I spotted him and I just FROZE...!!! - I grabbed my camera, fired off 4 shots and he retreated into his hole only inches away. I wanted sooo bad to grab him, bring him out ... but 90° was just TOO HOT and no sense in stressing the natural existence of a beautiful Mountain King.

Not bad for a rattlesnake hunter :lol:

St. Helena Mountain Kingsnake (Lampropeltis zonata zonata)

ImageDSC_0003 by John Delgado, on Flickr
Jimi

Re: My first Zonata

Post by Jimi »

Great spot, John! A focused, experienced z-hunter would probably not have been out looking in that situation (1:30 PM, late June, 90F - sounds awful). Pretty good bycatch though. Usually it's the "lampro-dorks" who get rattlesnakes as bycatch. ("Lampro-dorks" is a term of endearment, and friendly razzing; it takes all kinds, to each their own.) I'm glad you're in the oddball club with me. (You're weirder though - 1:30 PM, late June, 90F - sounds awful! ha ha)

Good call not grabbing him. I think just a couple minutes restrained in the sun could have cooked his brain.

I see you put that record in the HERP database - again, well done. Not too many St Helenas in there, not much data on those that are there.

cheers,
Jimi
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Thanks Jimi ...,

It's cool man, me being a rattlesnake jockey - I'm used to people looking at me funny :lol:

And the 1:30 PM - 90° temp ... maybe it's my Native American blood (Apache) - my great grandmother was born in 1887, she was full blood Chiricahua. My family thinks that's why I'm infatuated with rattlesnakes :crazyeyes: I don't know ... maybe. I just laugh when they say that.

For me, hotter the better ... but 90 to 95° is about hot as I wanna go ... and yes I still find rattlesnakes in that heat. The heavy canopy area, along with cool ground cover makes great situation for rattlesnakes. That was the end of my day ... about a 4 hour hike, I was about a 1/4 mile from my truck heading home.

You spell Jimi like Hendrix ... don't see that very often.
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Wow, great spot! Beautiful snake!
Fieldherper

Post by Fieldherper »

Awesome find!! Seeing a zonata out crawling is a rush. That's one of the tougher "subspecies" to find. Much tougher than finding a Crotalus in that area. Thanks for sharing!

FH
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Fieldherper wrote:Awesome find!! Seeing a zonata out crawling is a rush. That's one of the tougher "subspecies" to find. Much tougher than finding a Crotalus in that area. Thanks for sharing!

FH
Ah ya ... exacty...! :shock: The instant I saw it I just took a big gulp and stood there motionless for a spell. I've seen CA Kings, but never a Mountain King. And the CA Kings are not that easy to come by either, but certainly easier that the Mt. Kings.

So, now when I'm out lookin for crotes ... I find myself saying to myself over and over again ... 'to spot a Mt. King, you have to think like a Mt. King' :lol:

I'll try for better pics next time, if there is a next time 8-)
double d

Post by double d »

Great job , it's always exciting to target one species and and end up finding a beautiful lifer to boot !!
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

A BIT too precise with the locality release (I could find the spot) but otherwise... very very cool on all accounts... :thumb:
Use search engine to find my "locality release online: a level headed approach' essay... hardly got any negative feedback on it, and round here... that means it WAS GREAT... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fieldherper

Post by Fieldherper »

Too precise? I don't think so. That habitat is TOUGH to find to z's in. You basically have to walk & be lucky. They are rarely flipped in zz range. Occasionally they are road cruised. I can think of 100 easier, more well-known z locales. I just don't want John to think he did anything wrong in his post.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

doesn't matter how difficult a locality happens to be, or what the chances of success are... the op did a great job describing how to get there (which anywhere else would be good) but we try not to be quite that precise here. I'm not even suggesting he change it... my comments were for future posts, and to let him know how we generally 'roll' here... county level. I didn't make these rules up... I just wrote them down, and tried to explain the rationals behind them.

I absolutely agree that John did nothing wrong, and it was a great post about a very hard to find herp... :thumb:
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

It's cool ... thanks.

That terrain, <edited out> is miles long and it's THICK with manzanita, chaparral, sagebrush, scrub oak, poison oak, poison ivy, ticks, bear, mountain lion ... and steep-steep very steep longgggg and HOT days. Better take a gun.

Anyone wanna go hike with me ??? Where I go will kill a billy goat ... :x :lol:

I never see anyone up there ... never. Nobody ... I' guess I'm only one fool enough.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

If you read my article, that falls under 'outlier' info, where I suggest that the 'Co level' standard can be waived... so I obviously don't have a problem with it... but... others might, so I mention it only to apprise you of our 'general' standards. My article reflects my thoughts on the subject, and may in fact be more lienient than others may like, so should not be considered an 'official' position... :thumb:

Love places like that... where only we maniacs go... :lol: :lol: :lol:
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Appreciate the heads up - Posts edited - Thank you :)
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

I'll hike it with ya!

Great find and great in situ photo. Takes a lot of restraint to not go for the grab- especially with a z. Still need to check z z off my list :)
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

I'll take you Zach ... lemme know when you wanna come up here.