Caymans and Everglades, Spring 2015

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Steve Barten

Post by Steve Barten »

I’ve been lucky to be invited to teach a course on Grand Cayman each of the last several years. It allows me the opportunity to enjoy the wildlife of the Cayman Islands.

Of course the main draw is the Cayman Blue Iguana, Cyclura lewisi. This year I finally captured an open-mouth display this big male made at a passing female.

Sharp teeth and incredible blue color

Master of his domain

Robust female

Subadult

Love those red eyes.

I’m not sure if the iguana evolved to match his background or if the table was painted to match the iguanas.

The Blue Iguana breeding facility

Cayman Island Dwarf Boa, Tropidophis caymanensis. This one turned up in someone’s back yard in a fairly urban setting while I was there.

They retain yellow tail tips and use caudal luring as adults.

The endemic Cayman Parrot

A flock of flamingoes blew in on a storm and stayed around for several months, but they have since left the island.

Cayman Racers, Cubophis (Alsophis) cantherigerus caymanus

Invasive Green Iguanas

Hickatee or Cayman Slider, Trachemys decussata angusta

The very different and invasive Red-eared Slider, Trachemys scripta elegans

Blue-throated Anole, Anolis conspersus

Saw-scaled Curlytail, Leiocephalus carinatus varius

Brown Booby and chick

Meanwhile, over on Cayman Brac, the critically endangered Sisters Island Iguanas, Cyclura nubila caymanensis, are often hit by cars even though the traffic is sparse.

While there, we volunteered and joined an ongoing project to study the Cycluras on Cayman Brac, assisting with restraint and blood draws. First you have to catch them.
The study was headed by Jess Harvey, Guy’s daughter, of the Cayman Department of the Environment, who had all the necessary permits.

A new, unbeaded juvenile

Attracted by orange flowers, he’s watching the noose come in.

Data collected

Marked with cervical crest beads and released.

A tick on the tail of an adult

Fly and be free! This Cyclura took off so fast when released she was almost bipedal.

Everglades
I was able to do a quick photo safari to the Everglades in April, and although I was only there for a few days, I saw a lot.

It was the dry season and many temporary bodies of water had dried up. At one site away from the shore and mangroves, we found a good-sized pond with about 40 alligators in it. In the distance, one was basking with its mouth open and looked different from the other gators.
Yep, it was a crocodile. Note the gator in the foreground. It's unusual to see them together.

At Flamingo we found the resident crocodiles.

We also saw a 10-foot floating log and wondered why no turtles were basking on it.

Leaving Flamingo, this Barn Owl was perched on the side of the road at dusk.

Momma gator and babies

Juvenile

This Barred Owl joined us at dusk one night.

This one came was out in the afternoon

Bold owl plus long lens

Purple Gallinule

This Green Anole was from a population in which the males had yellow dewlaps. While I saw some display at a distance, I missed capturing the image.

Normal Green Anole with pink dewlap

Brown Anole

Red-bellied Slider. Right after I took this image, the turtle entered a small, drying-up puddle and had a close encounter of the 6-foot-gator kind.

The gator entered the pond after the red-belly and soon emerged with a full mouth.

The gator chomped hard but nothing happened.

The turtle escaped unharmed.

The gator gave up, knowing it was futile to try further. The turtle made no attempt to flee, as if she knew she was safe.

A Red-shouldered Hawk landed above the pond to watch the drama.

This Florida Shoftshell was as big as a VW Beetle and faster than one.

Egret

Brown Pelican

Perigrine

Osprey

Cottonmouths

Snapper saved from the double yellows of the Tamiami Trail

Tree Snails

Florida Green Watersnake

Brown Watersnake

Banded Watersnake

Cooters

Red-shouldered Hawk nails a Pig Frog

Thanks for looking.
mtratcliffe

Re: Caymans and Everglades, Spring 2015

Post by mtratcliffe »

Great photos, and thanks for showing us some herps from an under-shared area. The Blue-Throated Anole is very interesting.

Was the Northern Green Anole you saw found within the Everglades? I've always been curious if any of them made it down that far.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Loved it! Fantastic photography too.
Steve Barten

Post by Steve Barten »

Thanks to you both. Yes, both Green Anoles were from different areas within ENP.
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

As typical of you, the photography is stellar. Tell us how you shot the peregrine and the red shouldered, both are real nice. Also, what is your theory on the floater python? Why has it not been eaten by alligators?

The alligator mauling the slider is a remarkable thing to see, I have often wondered why some turtles seem unconcerned about alligators, but complacency may get them into trouble.

Vic
Steve Barten

Post by Steve Barten »

Thanks, VICtort. The peregrine and red shouldered were shot with a zoom at the max 400 mm, hand held (too fast to track w/ a tripod, and for the peregrine I was on a boat!). ISO bumped up enough to allow a fast shutter speed (1/1600 sec, f 8, ISO 400 and 1/2500 sec, f 8 , ISO 1000 respectively), manual exposure metered on the available light. Also, continuous focus mode to allow tracking of the flying birds.

Cause of death in the python could have been anything. The head wasn't visible under the surface so unknown if there was trauma. It was in the river by the marina at Flamingo, so the water was brackish and crocodiles were about but no alligators. Also it was in the middle of the river so it may have drifted in only recently before we saw it.

I wondered if the turtle held still hoping not to be noticed again, or truly knew she was safe. The gator was only 6 feet long or so, no doubt a bigger one would have been successful.
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

AmAzing!! :beer:
mothman

Post by mothman »

Fantastic bird photography! The gator/slider sequence was incredible.

Were the Cyclura lewisi in a breeding program or were they photographed in the wild?
Steve Barten

Post by Steve Barten »

Thanks!

Some of the Cyclura lewisi were in the breeding facility. They have a number of large, open, cement-walled enclosures planted with native vegetation and with suitable retreats (rock piles and drainage pipes, for instance) to house breeding adults. But there are a lot of wild individuals wandering the grounds of the botanic park. They are acclimated to the presence of people on the paths and tend to allow fairly close approach if you are quiet and move slowly. If you go, you are just about guaranteed to see a number of them.
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Great post, Steve! The lewisi was a real treat. Great photos of some really cool lizards. That's one I wouldn't mind seeing one day.

Nice variety of critters you have shown there- I liked it all!
--Berkeley
JakeScott

Post by JakeScott »

This is great! I've been to Grand Cayman and tried so hard for Tropidophis while there and turned up only several Cubophis (which were still awesome).

-Jake
Bill Love

Post by Bill Love »

Gorgeous post and, of course, PHOTOS ! You have a great critical eye for recording images that show off herps (and other critters) -- basically getting the pose right. I can see that most if not all were shot in situ, so what I'm specifically referring to is your taking the time to find out a good angle, and / or waiting for the perfect moment to press the camera button. It shows very clearly in your shots and makes a huge difference compared to the ubiquitous quickie snapshots that dominate the web. It's soooo enjoyable to view pics like yours where the extra effort makes for such a much more pleasing image-viewing experience.
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Steve Barten - Sir...,

If I had words to convey my appreciation for your photography, certainly I would tell you ... but I have know words.

Your talent leaves me speechless :shock:

I am a wet behind the ears greenhorn and seeing your word is very inspiring.

Thank for posting ... BETTER than National Geographic...!
justinm

Post by justinm »

Stunning photographs. This was a visual feast and what a neat story that you get to see the Blue Iguanas so frequently. Thanks for sharing the adventures.

Justin Michels
Steve Barten

Post by Steve Barten »

Thanks for the compliments, John, Justin and Bill. Bill Love is one of the best photographers out there and his praise means the world to me.

If you follow the C. lewisi on Grand Cayman, my contact there tells me that two of them were found dead recently and large numbers of spirochete bacteria were found in their blood. The appropriate authorities have examined the situation and taken a lot of samples, worrying that the invasive green iguanas may be carriers of something, but the jury is still out. Additionally dog attacks are increasing in the Queen Elizabeth Botanic Park where most of the blues live, and I'm told many blues have been rounded up to be housed temporarily for safe keeping until a fence can be built. Apparently there aren't many blues wandering around the botanic park for the time being.

It's sad, but good to know that caring people are trying to deal with the problems the C. lewisi are facing.