Freshwaters Illustrated hellbender video

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Hadar

Freshwaters Illustrated hellbender video

Post by Hadar »

Jeremy Monroe, with Freshwaters Illustrated, came to OSU a few months back to talk about hellbenders, a topic close to my heart and premiered his video The Last Dragons - Protecting Appalachia's Hellbenders. If you haven't seen it, it is a great 9:45 minute video. https://vimeo.com/108512185

Freshwaters Illustrated is also working on a film about human land use and amphibian disease. They have some great video clips and photos here, http://freshwatersillustrated.org/link/ ... eformities.

pjfishpa

Re: Freshwaters Illustrated hellbender video

Post by pjfishpa »

Very cool video. Thanks for posting. They are all but gone here in Ohio. I know our zoo in partnership w the Columbus zoo and the ODNR ear working on raising and releasing them into what little remaining habitat there is here - and that for the most part has needed some restoration to become suitable. One would definitely be a lifer for me. Need to work on that one of these days!
double d

Post by double d »

I absolutely love hellbenders, when I 15 and moved to warren county tenn , all these old timers were telling me about the huge salamanders they would catch on there trout lines for catfish in the collins river and sure enough I tagged along and almost every spot they set the lines they had atleast one or more hellbenders, I know not most ideal way to see them. I live in central florida now and its been on my bucket list to go snorkeling for them, also all the papers ive read , which I couldnt find many , all have them being just in collins river , but the barren fork feeds into that river and it is very clean and cold as well and ive seen many out of that river too. I should do a paper of their range and numbers in that area.........awesome post thank you!!!
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Thanks for posting this, its epic! Never seen a hellbender yet but its high on the list, just wish I had an underwater rig for my DSLR so I could get some cool shots of them underwater doing their thing.