Frogs from Selangor and Pahang, Malaysia

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

orionmystery

Frogs from Selangor and Pahang, Malaysia

Post by orionmystery »

Butler's rice frog / Painted Chorus Frog / Tubercled Pygmy Frog (Microhyla butleri) in amplexus. Pahang, Malaysia.
ImageMicrohyla butleri_MG_9514 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

A pair of Ornate Narrow-mouthed Frog (Microhyla fissipes) in amplexus. The male has one bad eye. Pahang, Malaysia.
ImageMicrohyla fissipes_MG_9517 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

A pair of Dark-sided Chorus Frogs (Microhyla heymonsi) in amplexus. Pahang, Malaysia.
ImageMicrohyla heymonsi_MG_9561 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

Hose's Rock Frog / Poisonous Rock Frog (Odorrana hosii). Malaysia.
ImageOdorrana hosii_MG_9226 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

White-lipped Frog (Hylarana labialis). Selangor, Malaysia.
ImageHylarana labialis_MG_8967 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

Twin-spotted Flying Frog (Rhacophorus bipunctatus), white form. Malaysia.
ImageRhacophorus bipunctatus_MG_9571 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

Twin-spotted Flying Frog (Rhacophorus bipunctatus), orange form. Malaysia.
ImageRhacophorus bipunctatus_MG_9590 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

ImageRhacophorus bipunctatus_MG_9033 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

Norhayati's Flying Frog (Rhacophorus norhayatii). Malaysia.
ImageRhacophorus norhayatii_MG_8849 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

A pair of Norhayati's Flying Frog (Rhacophorus norhayatii) in amplexus and spawing. Malaysia.
ImageRhacophorus norhayatii_MG_8856 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

The eye of Sauron! River Toad (Phrynoidis aspera). Selangor, Malaysia.
ImagePhrynoidis aspera_MG_8979 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

And now we take a break for an Ikea commercial. River Toad (Phrynoidis aspera). 7.5 in from snout to vent. Malaysia.
ImagePhrynoidis asperaIMG_9671 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

The same toad in my palm!
ImagePhrynoidis asperaIMG_9669 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

Find it.
ImageMicrohyla berdmorei_MG_8959 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

Berdmore's narrow-mouthed frog, Large Pygmy Frog (Microhyla bermorei). Selangor, Malaysia.
ImageMicrohyla berdmorei_MG_8956 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

Red Sided Sticky Frog (Kalophrynus pleurostigma)
ImageKalophrynus pleurostigma_MG_8618 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

Batman Returns! Okay, still the same Malayan Horned Frog (Megophrys nasuta). Still grumpy too! He stayed still long enough though. Malaysia.
ImageMegophrys nasuta_MG_9184 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

ImageMegophrys nasuta_MG_9209 stk copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

ImageMegophrys nasuta_MG_9186 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

ImageMegophrys nasuta_MG_9182 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

Chubby, colorful = cute! Meet Malacca Frog (Phrynella pulchra). Malaysia. Not sure why it's called Malacca frog though.
ImagePhrynella pulchra_MG_9237 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

ImagePhrynella pulchra_MG_9240 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

Saffron-bellied Frog (Chaperina fusca). Malaysia.
ImageChaperina fusca_MG_9527 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

ImageChaperina fusca_MG_9545 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

Common Sunda Toad (Duttaphrynus melanostictus).
ImageDuttaphrynus melanostictus_MG_6660 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

River Toad (Phrynoidis aspera). Selangor, Malaysia.
ImagePhrynoidis aspera_MG_5959 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Lovely pair of Malayan Flying Frogs (Rhacophorus prominanus) in amplexus. Montane forest of Malaysia.
ImageRhacophorus prominanus_MG_5816 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

ImageRhacophorus prominanus_MG_5815 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Beautiful Cinnamon Frog (Nyctixalus pictus). We found for of them in one night. Selangor, Malaysia.
ImageNyctixalus pictus_MG_5976 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

How many mosquitoes on this frog? Frog on steroid! Nah, just kidding. They are naturally muscular and can get really big too, up to 15cm. This one was only about 10cm from snout to vent. Malesian Frog (Limnonectes malesianus).
ImageLimnonectes malesianus_MG_6586 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Go ahead, take a nap. Norhayati's Flying Frog (Rhacophorus norhayatii). Malaysia.
ImageRhacophorus norhayatii_MG_6446 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

You're feeling sleepy......you're feeling really really sleepy....you're feeling really really really sleepy....
ImageRhacophorus norhayatii_MG_6441 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Malayan Slender Tree Frog (Polypedates discantus). Selangor, Malaysia.
ImagePolypedates discantus_MG_8337 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

ImagePolypedates discantus_MG_8344 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

ImagePolypedates discantus_MG_8338 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

More frogs: http://orionmystery.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... frogs.html
Jeroen Speybroeck

Re: Frogs from Selangor and Pahang, Malaysia

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

Great stuff, again, Kurt! Despite the absence of my dear friend Wallace's, this may be the best I've seen of your frog posts. Great variety. Nyctixalus and Megophrys are surely two reasons for me to go back some day.
orionmystery

Post by orionmystery »

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Great stuff, again, Kurt! Despite the absence of my dear friend Wallace's, this may be the best I've seen of your frog posts. Great variety. Nyctixalus and Megophrys are surely two reasons for me to go back some day.
Thanks, Jeroen. We'll make sure you find these two species the next time you're here.
dthor68

Post by dthor68 »

orionmystery, very nice work!

If you were shooting with a Nikon and you wanted to get the same kind of light you are getting now, what would you use?

I actually achieved that "even flat light" thing you got going on here the other day with a Nikon D300, Nikon 50mm f/1.4, 12mm tube, (2) Nikon SBR200's and a DIY concave diffuser. I have NEVER been able to achieve that lighting using my Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR. At first I thought it may be the placement of the flashes, however, moving them helped none. I really would like to get your light for photographing small insects and spiders and I need more than a 50mm to do it. Any help would be appreciated.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

The usual fantasticness. Meh :-) Say, did your flash get a little wild on some photos there? I'm detecting a spot of overexposure or two. Do you shoot manual flash, or PTTL/automatic?
orionmystery

Post by orionmystery »

dthor68 wrote:orionmystery, very nice work!

If you were shooting with a Nikon and you wanted to get the same kind of light you are getting now, what would you use?

I actually achieved that "even flat light" thing you got going on here the other day with a Nikon D300, Nikon 50mm f/1.4, 12mm tube, (2) Nikon SBR200's and a DIY concave diffuser. I have NEVER been able to achieve that lighting using my Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR. At first I thought it may be the placement of the flashes, however, moving them helped none. I really would like to get your light for photographing small insects and spiders and I need more than a 50mm to do it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, dthor68. Were you using the same diffuser on both the 50mm+tubes and 105mm? Shouldn't be that much of a difference.
Roki

Post by Roki »

Great photos as always. Those Malayan flying frogs look like giant glass frogs, beautiful. The ikea tape made me laugh. I do the same thing with them. They make for great field tapes.
dthor68

Post by dthor68 »

orionmystery wrote:
dthor68 wrote:orionmystery, very nice work!

Thanks, dthor68. Were you using the same diffuser on both the 50mm+tubes and 105mm? Shouldn't be that much of a difference.
Yes.

I always shoot TTL, though I have tried to shoot in manual with no luck. I figure it is just the lens. Maybe it is the reason that everyone that I have seen online with lighting like yours is using a Canon. Maybe a third party lens like the Tamron 90mm is better suited for it? What little Nikon shooters I have seen use that lens, including Nicky Bay. In fact his lighting is perfect in my eyes, I was so hoping to make it work with my 105mm, which is great with natural light.
orionmystery

Post by orionmystery »

Roki wrote:Great photos as always. Those Malayan flying frogs look like giant glass frogs, beautiful. The ikea tape made me laugh. I do the same thing with them. They make for great field tapes.
Thank you, Roki. :mrgreen:
orionmystery

Post by orionmystery »

dthor68 wrote: Yes.

I always shoot TTL, though I have tried to shoot in manual with no luck. I figure it is just the lens. Maybe it is the reason that everyone that I have seen online with lighting like yours is using a Canon. Maybe a third party lens like the Tamron 90mm is better suited for it? What little Nikon shooters I have seen use that lens, including Nicky Bay. In fact his lighting is perfect in my eyes, I was so hoping to make it work with my 105mm, which is great with natural light.
With the same set up i.e 70D, Nissin i40, 60mm F2 and giant diffuser, I get better light at 1:1 compared to say 1:5. As the working distance increases, the quality of light deteriorates.

Notice how worse off the light was on bigger frogs in this set?
orionmystery

Post by orionmystery »

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:The usual fantasticness. Meh :-) Say, did your flash get a little wild on some photos there? I'm detecting a spot of overexposure or two. Do you shoot manual flash, or PTTL/automatic?
You mean overall overexposure or a few hotspots? While there were a few hotspots, I don't think any of them were overexposed (overall). However, i also notice that on a cheap machine (cheap Acer with so so display), display calibration is essential. But after each calibration, there is still slight variation.

I will get a lappy with IPS display for my next purchase. Still can't afford Mac.
dthor68

Post by dthor68 »

orionmystery wrote:
dthor68 wrote: Yes.

With the same set up i.e 70D, Nissin i40, 60mm F2 and giant diffuser, I get better light at 1:1 compared to say 1:5. As the working distance increases, the quality of light deteriorates.

Notice how worse off the light was on bigger frogs in this set?
I appreciate the help!