Awsome trip to the Smoky Mountains *same as main forum*

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

herper1

Awsome trip to the Smoky Mountains *same as main forum*

Post by herper1 »

Spent little over a week in the Smoky Mountains. Had a great time running around, hiking, and of course herping....
Black Chinned Red

Jordan Red Cheeked

Big old Black Belly

Northern Water

I am not sure about this one. Anyone know if it is a Slimy? or southern Appalachian salamander? Seems more black then any Slimy I have seen....

Then we crossed over to north western NC for a few days...
Red Eft
Yonahlossee
Wellers

After spending all day looking for a Blue Ridge Spring, I ended up road crusing one on a rainy night...

2 Unknown salamanders, if anyone has any idea what they are...
Found in northwestern NC

Found near Clingmans dome...
herper1

Re: Awsome trip to the Smoky Mountains *same as main forum*

Post by herper1 »

I must add, I did better then I ever imagined. Thanks to all that gave me advise before my trip. One more herp that I saw..."Accidently" road cruised this Hogger on the way from NJ to the Smokys in western VA....

mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

Good finds - the part of the country has amazing Salamander diversity, and you saw a good mix. What month did you take your trip?
JakeScott

Post by JakeScott »

Trips to the Appalachians is something every herper should do/want to do. Good variety!

Your salamander from NW NC looks to be Desmognathus monticola. Hard to be completely sure, but if the belly was overall plain and unblemished, it could rule out D. fuscus.

-Jake
herper1

Post by herper1 »

I was there early to mid May. Here is a pic of the unknown salamanders belly. He was right outside our camper on a rainy night so i brought him in and my wife took the shot, not very clear...

BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Looks like a very nice trip.
if it is a Slimy? or southern Appalachian salamander? Seems more black then any Slimy I have seen....
Looks like a Northern Slimy (P. glutinous. Young animals often are lacking white spots, but develop them with age.

2 Unknown salamanders, if anyone has any idea what they are...
First looks like Seal like Jake said; pattern, location, color, and particularly the tail compression.

2nd could be D. orestes or D. carolinensis based on tail, pattern, and range, dependant on where you found it. They are very tough (Apparently electrophoretic analysis is required to be sure).

Finally, you knocked it out of the ballpark with the skink and watersnake in the same pic!!! :thumb: :thumb: