Smoky Mountain trip

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

herper1

Smoky Mountain trip

Post by herper1 »

Spent little over a week in the Smoky Mountains. Had a great time running around, hiking, and of course herping....
Black Chinned Red

Jordan Red Cheeked

Big old Black Belly

Northern Water

I am not sure about this one. Anyone know if it is a Slimy? or southern Appalachian salamander? Seems more black then any Slimy I have seen....

Then we crossed over to north western NC for a few days...
Red Eft
Yonahlossee
Wellers

After spending all day looking for a Blue Ridge Spring, I ended up road crusing one on a rainy night...

2 Unknown salamanders, if anyone has any idea what they are...
Found in northwestern NC

Found near Clingmans dome...
herper1

Re: Smoky Mountain trip

Post by herper1 »

I must add, I did better then I ever imagined. Thanks to all that gave me advise before my trip. One more herp that I saw..."Accidently" road cruised this Hogger on the way from NJ to the Smokys in western VA....

pjfishpa

Post by pjfishpa »

Nice job on finding the salamanders! I love looking for them down in GSMNP. I am always amazed by how many people are on the road and in the parking lots ... And how few there are just a few hundred yards off the road! A 10 min hike in most places and you have the place to yourself! I'm sure there are folks on this forum who know the ID of those three. I am pretty sure the first is a Northern Slimy, the second I would think either a Seal or maybe a Northern Dusky, the last looks like a Seepage to me. Thanks for posting.
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

Not sure about the Slimy - I guess the ID would depend on range. The second mystery salamander looks like a young Blackbelly to me. The last one is probably D. ocoee.