Spotted Salmander development timelapse

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Zach Cava

Spotted Salmander development timelapse

Post by Zach Cava »

Been busy with grad school and haven't had time to post here lately, but here's a fun project I've been working on these last few weeks—best viewed in HD!

-Zach

John Martin

Re: Spotted Salmander development timelapse

Post by John Martin »

Good golly Miss Molly! That is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time!! I've no idea how you go about doing something like that, but kudos to you :beer: . And it's almost as if the embryo is "dancing" in time to the music. BRAVO!
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

Very nice!
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Awesome! One of the coolest and more creative things I have seen posted on this forum in a long time!
Hadar

Post by Hadar »

Very cool Zach! Thank you for sharing. I'm very impressed with the clarity and stability of the video. We shot photographs of our developing tigers but the image quality was much more pixelated and video took too much memory to store. What kind of mount did you use on your scope?

Are you doing IVF or cryo? We were always excited to reach neurula after an IVF with cryopreserved sperm, especially since post thaw motility tended to be 20-30%.

Keep up the great work!
Zach Cava

Post by Zach Cava »

Thank you guys

Hadar, I actually didn't use a microscope for this, I used a 100mm macro lens + 68mm extension tubes. Eggs were in a modified tank I built for photographing aquatic stuff (can post photo later), but I was thinking it would have been easier/more stable with a scope + camera adapter!

It seems like a lot of the issues with video quality have to do with how you process the video. I don't have any experience with video editing and it took a lot of trial and error to get a decent quality clip uploaded, and I'm sure there are ways to get it to look even better that I just haven't figured out.

I should have mentioned that this is just for fun — for my graduate thesis I am studying hellbenders.

-Zach
pjfishpa

Post by pjfishpa »

Very cool indeed! Thanks for posting.