black rat snakes in MA/CT/RI

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Saybs444

black rat snakes in MA/CT/RI

Post by Saybs444 »

Where would be the best place to try and get some photos of these beauties, if anyone is trusting me enough to share general locations? :? ? I was unable to do any traveling last year as I was too busy to set aside the time, but since getting a better camera, and lifestyle changes, I'd really love to go some place where I can observe and get photos of these guys. Some place I could take a day trip to, in one of the aforementioned states. I am unsure about how willing anyone that knows will be to give me any info, but I have never encountered any BRS and it really is something I've dreamed about for years now. I can't expect too much, where in all honesty, I personally would never share my locations with a soul, and can't blame anyone for being the same way. I love reptiles dearly and spend much of my free time trying to educate people who's ignorance is a danger to them. Some day I hope to go to a state where they are abundant and get some hands on experience with BRSs but in the meantime, just the chance to observe them would more than make my day/week/year!
ackee

Re: black rat snakes in MA/CT/RI

Post by ackee »

I don't know if this helps, but I have seen more Black Rat Snakes while fishing along trout streams like the Beaverkill, the Esopus, and the Delaware River than anywhere else. These are a climbing snake and I've almost always seen them stretched out along the trunk of a large tree, clinging vertically. The biggest Black Rat Snake I ever saw was a veritable giant, amazingly long and thick, on the side of an old partially undercut tree that was leaning out over the Delaware River, its root system partially flooded by high water, probably driving the snake out and upwards.

I did find one in the ruins of a partially collapsed old garage in the Catskills, up in the rafters. Rather snappish.
NewYorkHerper16

Post by NewYorkHerper16 »

I just found my first in NY today! It was a beautiful 4.5 footer that was basking on a boulder. I'll pm you some info soon! :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125775141 ... ateposted/
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

While they are listed as residing in RI, I have never seen one here. However, I have found them over the boarder in Eastern CT. Pick a State Park in the southern 1/2 of the state that has ridges, and do some hiking through it ... you should find some.

Where are you coming from? Send me a PM ...
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

I've never seen them in MA. The state lists them as having some scattered populations in the Connecticut River Valley, Southern Worcester County, and Bristol County. I've heard rumors, here and there, about them being in various places not within those counties, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Joe Mahoney

Post by Joe Mahoney »

I have photographed them in MA. May try to hike this weekend to see if they are out...