Gopher sanke morph???

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

dinodan

Gopher sanke morph???

Post by dinodan »

I recently went to Arizona for some herping. I saw tons of herps from 3 different mountain ranges over 4 days. I saw many specks, rosy boas, blacktails, gilas, and many other species but it is a gopher snake that I want to share with you guys. I will make a different post for the other herps I saw later. I figured I would post this here in the Cali section because I don't think many people visit the AZ forum. Let me know what you guys think. Here are some pics of it.

[URL=http://s483.photobucket.com/user/d ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Here is a pic of a different regular one from the same mountain range.
daniel

Re: Gopher sanke morph???

Post by daniel »

Thats pretty cool!
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

:mrgreen: Hypo Sonoran gopher :thumb: :mrgreen:

You should ask Daniel if you can cross it with his hypo SD gopher! They're both awesome-looking snakes.
dinodan

Post by dinodan »

Thanks for the replies. I thought it was a hypo. My first I have found in the wild.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

dinodan wrote:Thanks for the replies. I thought it was a hypo. My first I have found in the wild.
Exactly what I was gonna say (if in fact you kept it) they'd be mutts... but awesome... 8-) jim
Jerry Hartley

Post by Jerry Hartley »

Why make mutts? Keep it locality specific, it will be way more special. That's an amazing animal BTW.
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

You need to breed it to see if it can be passed down. Breed it to another one from the same area then breed the offspring back to it. You should get some hypos.... :thumb:
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I agree that locality pure is best, but affinis and annecten do intergrade... so crossing them produces offspring that COULD be possible in nature... as long as they are marketed as hypo intergrades. :D
Jerry Hartley

Post by Jerry Hartley »

Still not locality specific though.....you know how I feel about that Jim. I'm a locality snob.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Jerry Hartley wrote:Still not locality specific though.....you know how I feel about that Jim. I'm a locality snob.
I know, I know... :lol: but until such time as pure locality can be produced (if ever)... morphs have their place. ;)

So... i offer you a naturally occuring 3 way gopher (SD/GB/Pac)... What do you do....WHAT DO YOU DO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is the sex of the Sonoran?? if male... the point is moot. Danial has the advantage of having a hypo male... and I was (probably) the first to tell him to breed it to as many females as he could find, from the same canyon, to up the chances of producing locality pure hypo SD... :D
Jerry Hartley

Post by Jerry Hartley »

Where can I see pic's of the hypo SD at?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

dinodan

Post by dinodan »

Edit just saw Jim posted it above. I am going to breed it another Sonoran gopher snake from in the same area. They were found a 1/4 mile apart and are the same size. I am having them sexed this week and hope they are a pair. If not I will get another from that area to pair it.
I was also considering breeding it to another morph gopher snake like a Sonoran albino and then breeding those babies together. Either way first step is to have it probed.
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

Buy a set of probes, its worth the investment.
Jerry Hartley

Post by Jerry Hartley »

Oh yeah, I remember seeing this now.........Thanks Jim
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Wow, that's a great find! :thumb:
Eimon

Post by Eimon »

Ah.......McGurty's Albinos are in fact a naturally occurring intergrade and morph, so it can/does happen in very specific areas. Locality snob indeed, you should start your own web site then...........very proud of ya :P
kingsnakeadam

Post by kingsnakeadam »

That snake was founded in AZ. It would be an absolute mut and a big disappointment if not kept locality! That is such a great find! I'm very pleased to hear your going to keep it locality! If you also wanted to breed it with another Sonoran morph it would be cool to do it with an axanthic Sonoran! Hypo axanthic Sonoran gopher would look amazing!!
dinodan

Post by dinodan »

kingsnakeadam wrote:That snake was founded in AZ. It would be an absolute mut and a big disappointment if not kept locality! That is such a great find! I'm very pleased to hear your going to keep it locality! If you also wanted to breed it with another Sonoran morph it would be cool to do it with an axanthic Sonoran! Hypo axanthic Sonoran gopher would look amazing!!
i am going to definitely breed it to a sonoran morph. Probably axanthic/xanthic. Might as well have het babies that will produce some wicked shit.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

no doubt... you may even have a 'ghost' of a chance at some fall 'snow' :lol: :lol: :lol: