Suikerbosrand Reserve, South Africa. Nov 2014

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

moloch

Suikerbosrand Reserve, South Africa. Nov 2014

Post by moloch »

Hello everyone,

I have not posted for quite some time. Last year was a busy one for me with big projects but more importantly a few holidays. I did little in Australia but had several trips overseas. The following report is from a trip to South Africa in November. I met my friend, Ted Cordery, in Johannesburg and we travelled to a few sites mostly in the north of the country. I will add more shots of these other sites to this post.

I arrived in Johannesburg at 5am but Ted was not due in from the States until the evening. I hired a car and then zipped out to Suikerbosrand Reserve. The reserve is roughly a 45 minute drive on fast roads from the airport. I've been to the reserve once before and found that it is a great place to spend a day. It feels far removed from the city and there is plenty to see.

Much of the reserve looks like the following photo. The higher hills are mostly covered with grasslands but there are places that are rocky and support Giant Tree Aloes, Proteas and the strange Cabbage Trees. Here is a shot of typical habitat:
Imagehabitat by moloch05, on Flickr

I explored this outcrop for an hour in the early morning and found several lizards. They were cool and basking early on so not hard to approach.
Imagelizard habitat by moloch05, on Flickr

Southern Rock Agama (Agama atra):
This species was common in the reserve wherever there were rock outcrops. Breeding males were gorgeous with bright colours. Here are shots of a couple of males.
ImageSouthern Rock Agama (Agama atra) by moloch05, on Flickr

This female was obviously gravid.

Juveniles were quite drab when compared to the adults.

Highland Crag Lizard (Pseudocordylus melanotus)
These lizards were also frequent in rocky areas. In the early morning, they were not hard to approach but later in the day, they ran for cover when I was meters away.
ImageHighland Crag Lizard (Pseudocordylus melanotus) by moloch05, on Flickr

I assume that the following was either a female or imm male.

Here is a shot of the higher elevational habitat. It had been burned earlier in the year and the grass was regenerating.

Yellow-throated Plated Lizard (Gerrhosaurus flavigularis)
I found two of these lizards in this upland habitat. Unfortunately, they both were in shade like this so hard to photograph.
ImageYellow throated Plated Lizard (Gerrhosaurus flavigularis) by moloch05, on Flickr

Skink (Trachylepis sp.)?
I saw a few skinks. I am not certain of the identity but think these to be a Trachylepis.
ImageSkink (Trachylepis sp.) by moloch05, on Flickr

That is all for my reptile shots. I did not see any snakes at all but did observe quite a number of lizards.

Southern Masked Weaver
These were common weavers. The ploceids were well represented in the reserve.
ImageSouthern Masked Weaver 1_800 by moloch05, on Flickr

Pin-tailed Whydah
ImagePin-tailed Whydah by moloch05, on Flickr

Red-throated Wryneck
These are strange, woodpecker relatives. I've only seen them previously in the Wakkerstroom area.
ImageRed-throated Wryneck by moloch05, on Flickr

Mammals
I did not see as many mammal as I did on my last visit, perhaps because of the fire. On this trip, I saw a few Eland and Greater Kudu but none of the smaller antelope. I don't have a photo but the most interesting animal was one of the Elephant Shrews. It appeared briefly on a rockpile while I was photographing a Southern Rock Agama.
Imagemammals by moloch05, on Flickr

This grasshopper obviously carries toxins. It was slow moving and brightly coloured. I saw a few on the road in one area of the reserver.
ImageGrasshopper by moloch05, on Flickr

November was spring in South Africa and many plants were flowering. Here are a few shots:
Imagepea by moloch05, on Flickr
Imageflower collage by moloch05, on Flickr
Imageflower collage by moloch05, on Flickr

Does anyone recognize the family of this plant? I have no idea. The flower is beautiful but quite strange in form.
Imageflower by moloch05, on Flickr

Lilies like this were numerous on the rocks where I photographed the crag lizards.
Imagelily by moloch05, on Flickr

Hillside with Giant Tree Aloes
ImageGiant Tree Aloes by moloch05, on Flickr

Giant Tree Aloes
Seems like there these would be good cover for some sort of gecko or other lizard.
ImageGiant Tree Aloes by moloch05, on Flickr

These seedling was strange with the leaves all in the same plane. I don't know what it is but suspect that it is the seedling of a Cabbage Tree.
Imageodd plant by moloch05, on Flickr

Proteas and Cabbage Trees were numerous in the reserve
dbh

Re: Suikerbosrand Reserve, South Africa. Nov 2014

Post by dbh »

I believe your strange plant is a Boophane sp. Cool plant!

David